Getting my "second hand" B&G Macaw tommarrow, how do i get him to trust me!?? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Re: Getting my "second hand" B&G Macaw tommarrow, how do i get him to trust me!?? HEL

Here is a box of goodness for you and your bird.

sssaucey

May 12, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Jewels-peachface lovebird
Ivy- budgie
Re: Getting my "second hand" B&G Macaw tommarrow, how do i get him to trust me!?? HEL

Well I didn't want to be rude so I'm sorry if it came off that way, but I am very happy that things are working out good so far and I hope they keep getting better

And I'm sure everyone would like to see some pictures!!!

pamcor57

Mar 22, 2012
Las Vegas
Parrots
B&G Macaws &
Parakeets

She hasnt done her homework, because shes asking "how to" make it less stressful when she brings her MAcaw home. I have not criticized her in any way..why would I do that? I would tell everyone to do their homework on everybird they are about to get, there is nothing wrong with that is there?? Anyone would take my advice as advice..it is all constructive. I am sure she is smitten with her new B&G Macaw, and I'm sure her Macaw will settle in.They both have a long road ahead of them, a happy one I'm sure. She needs to be patient as you know.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)

I didn't mean you criticized her pamcor57. Sorry if it came off that way. But some members did come off like they were criticizing although they might not of meant it that way. All I was asking on your post was how we know she didn't do her homework. I just didn't think by her posting for advice meant she hadn't done her homework. She probably just wanted constructive advice to continue her homework from people who have experience. I am one of the first to say everyone should do their homework and never impulse buy a parrot. I just felt like everybody was a bit hard on her and assuming she bought on impulse. Anyway I am sure we all want the best for her and her new addition!

Last edited:
OP
MelanieAnn

MelanieAnn

Mar 31, 2012
Media

Hello again, Thank you for the people seeing my point of view and giving helpful advice on the situation at HAND, NOT the situation they wish to think more suitable. And for those of you questioning my parenting skills, your very mistaken and going WAY to far and i am not even going to glorify your remarks with a response. Tiki is doing very well, today was a rough day for him i had trouble getting him out of his cage this morning, as to be expected he might not have slept well in his new home. I woke up to him MOM MOM MOM bright an early and when i went to get him he was a little uneasy, i was wearing a yellow long sleeve he did not seem to like, he would NOT step up until i changed my shirt. but after that he was a happy bird as he was the day before, i do not like when he climbs to my shoulder but am nervous to remove or try to stop him from doing it. I found out he loooves walnuts, he loves strawberry, and he hates yellow. im sure everyday will be something new! I am about to upload a pic of him in his favorite spot on the couch so please check him out! I feel like i have 2 3 yr olds lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

After reading all that....here's what I have to say.....I'm not criticizing you what so ever by wanting to get a macaw as your first time bird, but do some prior homework before getting one, NOT 3 hrs in advance!!!!

SOME of the posters saying they have a macaw and lets them sit on their shoulders and such and how they do so well around them by just having them for a few months or so. For your information I've had mine for 8 years and he bit my hand right open where I'm dripping blood and my partner was freaking out watching me trying to stop the bleeding cause Wille NEVER EVER done that to me before!!!!! I was caught off guard as he started bonding with one of the dogs when he become fully matured and he was going through his hormone cycle. Will I ever have him on my shoulders? Absolutely not, he is taught not to get on my shoulders as I know handlers who had theirs for 25+ years since they were babies, they got bit as well. One of my customer was one of them, she had to hold her lip to her mouth while driving herself to the emergency room to have it stitched back on her face. She still have him cause she loves him since she's had him since he was a baby. No matter what you or anyone thinks, they can be very dangerous to own. IF you don't know what your doing, you can be in serious trouble!!!!

I know some of the posts may sound harsh, BUT they're trying to make you understand this is NO joke! For those who got one recently, you maybe fine for now, but things DO happen. Willie loves me from day one the day I went to pick him up, did I had bird experience prior, absolutely yes so I know what I was getting myself into. The couple warned me that he does not like strangers and he will attack. I was in the house for 5 sec when I stick my arm out to him, he came right to me. Their jaws dropped...They asked me to please take him so I did. But last year when he turned 10 when he reached his full maturity, he changed and attacked me violently when I wasn't paying attention. He's not like that now since he's over the hormones. I've always know to watch for that, but we were watching a tv show when I went to reach for him while keeping my eye on the tv which was my mistake when I wasn't paying attention to what's going on. When the day comes when some of you start posting what should I do, my macaw is screaming and attacking and such. Think about what was mentioned! Are you able to handle it and live with it?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

I also need to mentioned this, for those new owners that can not take criticism, would you rather us get on the band wagon with you by saying, oh great, your doing fine, etc. How would you ever learn? Doesn't it defeats the purpose by asking a question? You don't always hear what you want to hear, BUT take it with a grain of salt and decipher it on your own. Not every reply is going to be pleasant, but you learn as you go. Owning a parrot is a serious obligation, we all see too MANY people who get a parrot thinking oh they're so pretty, or they see them with someone or on tv and wants one. Most of them end up in adoption centers or sanctuary. When you can't take criticism and learn from it, your also missing out the import information some people give you. There was a lady awhile back coming in here getting birds without knowing a single thing about them and was acting the same way not wanting to hear criticism, she ended up with a bunch of behavioral issues that she can not deal with. People give her advice and she didn't listen even afterwards. She ended up giving up her bird when she had her mind set to get a bird in the first place without understanding birds.

When some of us give you advice, we've owned birds for YEARS, not days or months. And some of us have different types of birds that we own. So please don't take our criticism the wrong way when we're only trying to help. Sometimes it can get out of hand yes and you get frustrated and upset by the posting. But seriously, most of them really mean no harm. I even get criticized sometimes and I've owned birds for 15 years. But we just move on.... Cause the main thing in the forum is for the birds, welfare of the birds, and all about the birds. So not everyone is going to agree!!! :)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*

MelanieAnn,
I'm glad your back , spend time here , ask questions , and you will learn alot.
Lets try to turn over a new leaf here and move on.
Funny how he doesnt like yellow :/ lolol. But , one more thing learned , right ? lol
Look , we are here regardless, to help , so 24/7 , there is going to be someone here to answer any questions .
I cant wait to see his picture :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

I sincerely hope everything goes well, Melanie.

I do want to remind us all about language though. We do have members here as young as 8 years old, and maybe there are some even younger than that. It's easy to forget that or never realize it in the first place that children come here. Yes, they are very techno savvy these days and manage to find the forum, sign up as members and start posting, lol! Yes, they are doing research even though I don't think I even knew that concept at that age. I don't know if any have read this thread, but I know at least one is hoping for a macaw someday. I have seen more cuss words all the way around on the forum lately. If we were all adult members, I'd say fire away as I'm not a prude about it or anything. But, if the word isn't necessary, I guess we should try to be more careful. I've done it a couple of times, too, so this applies to myself as well.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media

It is time to close this thread and go forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts