Getting my "second hand" B&G Macaw tommarrow, how do i get him to trust me!?? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Re: Getting my "second hand" B&G Macaw tommarrow, how do i get him to trust me!?? HEL

Yes, OP, I hope you come back. We really are nice people although you may have felt you somehow landed on a forum of a gang of bird bullies. We aren't, really:) We just really care about birds and their owners. We don't want people to get hurt, especially children, and we want the birds to find forever homes.

Enjru

Banned
Banned
Feb 19, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
1 x Scarlet Macaw, 2 x DYHA's
Re: Getting my "second hand" B&G Macaw tommarrow, how do i get him to trust me!?? HEL

I want, want, want and really want a Patek Philippe 5940 Automatic Perpetual Calendar watch with moon phases and leap years that won't need any manual date adjustments until 2100, when the watch (if it is still working by then) will mistakenly think that it is a leap year, when it isn't, because of some arcane horological calculations. If I got this dream watch (first revealed at the Basel Watch Fair a few weeks ago), I'd just watch and watch and watch this watch until I finally get disappointed with it when it gets the date wrong on March 1st, 2100. But, that's OK because, even though what I plan to do is REALLY stupid and brain-dead, it's not hurting anyone else. However, if this Patek Philippe 5940 Automatic Perpetual Calendar watch with moon phases and leap years is actually a living and sentient being, I'd hope it can lift up one of its watch hands to slap me in the face or poke me in the eye, rather than bite its own foot or chew its own feathers (hence the two and a half blue feathers caught in the bottom grate) or peck a hole right into its heart, if it didn't like me watching and watching and watching it for the next 88 years.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am

OP, just a few suggestions, as you were determined to get the macaw and wanted help. Here are some resources:

There are several yahoo groups you can - and probably should - join.

Macaws n more - is a generally helpful group of macaw owners who believe strongly in positive reinforcement. They have some very knowledgeable members. However, if you describe your situation, they might give you the exact suggestions you've received here, in the exact same tone. That's because they generally end up trying to rehabilitate the macaws who go to people with more enthusiasm than knowledge. So accept their knowledge, if you chose to join.

There are several bird-click/clicker training for birds yahoo groups, too. You will need to figure out how to work with your bird & they can help.

feedingfeathers will help you understand how to feed your bird well - it is lots of fresh veggies & not as much seed as you would think.

There is also a website called www.behaviorworks.org with a TON of good information on training parrots with positive reinforcement. It helps to know how they think. There are free 'mini-lessons' in positive reinforcement and an 8-week online training course for a nominal fee.

In addition, find whatever parrot rescue(s) are local to you & meet the volunteers. And volunteer yourself. First, you will be among people who understand 2nd-hand parrots and who can help you & your macaw adjust. Second, you may find a mentor. I still call the rescue where I got my first parakeets, when I have a question about any bird, parakeet to macaw.

Also, ask the locals for recommendations for a vet for your parrot. Not all vets can or will work with them. And when you need one - you need one FAST.

And take Enjru's comments about finding feathers & seriously weird poop to heart. You NEED to know what they mean & what to do if you see them. (Heck - you need to know what your bird's normal bird poop looks like). I have had other pets - dogs, horses, cats - at my house (full care of the horses, as well as the others) for decades. None of it really prepared me for keeping parrots (although training horses helped me understand the positive reinforcement needed to work with prey animals).

Parrots are not easy. In fact, like horses, the only reason to have them is because you have a passion for them. Otherwise, they are too much work (and a long-lived & sentient creature like a parrot deserves a passionate owner.)

dbeau92

Mar 21, 2012

Wow,A bit harsh dont ya think?She will not be coming back here for any advise and can anyone blame her?Heres my story....My uncle had a rainbow macaw years back and the first time i meet him my uncle said"he doesnt like anyone stay away" well as beautiful as he was i could not stay away and to my uncles surprise the bird loved me.10 years later i heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that suzie was killed by a drunk driver and her two B&G macaws were with a new owner and were said to be untouchable(very mean).So he decided to sell them.I have never had a bird before but thought i could give them a great home(forever).Well i drove 4 hours to pick her up and when i got there they said "do not stick your hand in there without a glove"well being the unexperienced bird dude.....lol i stuck my hand in there..guess what happened? i got bit.Well after they sewed my fingers back on...j/k She bit me hard enof for it to hurt but i was not going to leave her there.I could tell she was very unhappy and needed lots more love.(it was just a hunch because there was no way i could tell this with my lack of experience).Well it was abit of a fight but i got her home .its been three months now and scarlett is one happy bird.Have i been bit YES(like every bird owner has)but i would call that par for the course! I have 3 kids 10,12 and 13 they were all warned of the dangers of her powerfull beak.None of them have been bit(yet)but im sure it will happen sooner or later.I took this bird with NO EXPERIENCE and she now loves me and her new family.Loves to be picked up by any of us and talks up a storm.Not to mention she eats better than all of us.Anyone can learn to care for a macaw,just as anyone can neglect one.Looks to me that most of you just assume she will fail and im sure youve upset her in the process.Maybe she wont get the bird now and someone else thats not so excited to get the bird will.Maybe it will be dumped on a family member that dosent want it.You would think that if someone cared for a bird for 10 years they would not let it go to anyone they must think she is very capable of caring for it or they themselves didnt care anymore.MY POINT theres lots of homeless birds out there yet people keep breeding them for money rather than adopting one.That being said i would think anyone willing to try and give a good home to any animal is ok in my book.Well guess ill go play with my bird....lol

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus

Wow,A bit harsh dont ya think?She will not be coming back here for any advise and can anyone blame her?Heres my story....My uncle had a rainbow macaw years back and the first time i meet him my uncle said"he doesnt like anyone stay away" well as beautiful as he was i could not stay away and to my uncles surprise the bird loved me.10 years later i heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that suzie was killed by a drunk driver and her two B&G macaws were with a new owner and were said to be untouchable(very mean).So he decided to sell them.I have never had a bird before but thought i could give them a great home(forever).Well i drove 4 hours to pick her up and when i got there they said "do not stick your hand in there without a glove"well being the unexperienced bird dude.....lol i stuck my hand in there..guess what happened? i got bit.Well after they sewed my fingers back on...j/k She bit me hard enof for it to hurt but i was not going to leave her there.I could tell she was very unhappy and needed lots more love.(it was just a hunch because there was no way i could tell this with my lack of experience).Well it was abit of a fight but i got her home .its been three months now and scarlett is one happy bird.Have i been bit YES(like every bird owner has)but i would call that par for the course! I have 3 kids 10,12 and 13 they were all warned of the dangers of her powerfull beak.None of them have been bit(yet)but im sure it will happen sooner or later.I took this bird with NO EXPERIENCE and she now loves me and her new family.Loves to be picked up by any of us and talks up a storm.Not to mention she eats better than all of us.Anyone can learn to care for a macaw,just as anyone can neglect one.Looks to me that most of you just assume she will fail and im sure youve upset her in the process.Maybe she wont get the bird now and someone else thats not so excited to get the bird will.Maybe it will be dumped on a family member that dosent want it.You would think that if someone cared for a bird for 10 years they would not let it go to anyone they must think she is very capable of caring for it or they themselves didnt care anymore.MY POINT theres lots of homeless birds out there yet people keep breeding them for money rather than adopting one.That being said i would think anyone willing to try and give a good home to any animal is ok in my book.Well guess ill go play with my bird....lol

I agree, some of the responses seem a bit harsh, but not nearly as harsh as having to make a run to an emergency room for stitches. I would prefer to come off a little harsh than to see someone make a BIG mistake and I see too many issues here for a newbie to overcome on her own. But at that age, I didn't want to listen to the voice of reason either. But had I, life would have been sooooo much easier.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

dbeau92, just curious though how you might feel about a bird her size if your child were only 2? You can try to tell 2 year olds about the danger, but they really don't get it yet. Yours are old enough to understand.

Although I often have to tell 50 year olds to quit sticking their fingers in the cages:rolleyes: They persist and then get angry with me when they are bitten.

I agree though that the OP probably isn't coming back.

We do the same thing though on motorcycle forums when a newbie rider wants a Yamaha R1 super bike replica as his/her first bike.

Last edited:

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers

I'm a total newb to the bird world and reading this post I knew immediately it was a bad idea. I don't think you guys are being harsh, just real. My guess is everything you said she already knows, but doesn't want to admit to herself because she is in love with the bird. I totally understand that, I've fallen in love a few times with birds but fortunately did not make an impulse purchase.

I also have a toddler plus a 6 year old and their safety has to come first which is why I went in wanting a conure and changed to linnies. There is no point in getting a bird if the cards are already stacked against it being compatible with you and your family. This is suppose to be for life, like all pets. I think even easy birds can be hard and if you are new you need to start slow and learn. Someday maybe I will have a conure but my kids will be older or out of the house before that happens.

Good luck, I do hope it works out for you and the bird.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011

As much as I love my animals, if I had children I would have to consider their safety above what I want. You can still have birds, and there is nothing wrong with small parakeets and cockatiels. They are wonderful pets who can teach your young children many things. I like them so much that is all I had for 30 years. The simple fact of the matter is small children are not capable of empathy, or in reading parrot body language or understanding their moods and how they think. Many adults seem to have trouble with those things. And trying to keep those little fingers away for a 2 year old who just sees this big, beautiful bird, has to be very difficult. The child is going to want to touch it, period.

I had a neighbor with 2 very frightening dogs. They were always coming over here and threatening to attack me, circling me like a pack. They did bite one of my guests and killed some of my cats. My neighbor kept insisting they were wonderful dogs. Well, next thing I knew, one attacked his small son and ripped off most of his face. He will never be close to the same again, and will probably suffer emotionally throughout his life, especially during his teen years. Maybe a Rottweiler isn't the best choice in dog when you have small children, or at least not one with the personality of that dog.

dbeau92

Mar 21, 2012

i would like to think anyone with a two year old would have the brains to not let the two year old hold the bird.we all know there alot of peeps out there that would set that bird right on the 2 year olds shoulder and say let get a picture! and by the time they snap the pic the kids ear is gone.We will never stop that from happening some people just have there head in the clouds and thats will never change i just thought that the feedback was not in the birds or the new owners best interest im sure it was ment to be.like you said just because your first bike was a R1 doesnt mean you nail it on the first ride, you learn to handle it first and slowly open her up.just like the bird, lets say its the biggest baddest bird around,you dont stick it up on your shoulder the first day....lol

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno

Okay, we all are hear not to judge but to help when we can.
It's true that Macaws don't make a great 1st time bird however, I know many people who purchase a 1st time Macaw and things work out just fine.
I'm sure the owner of this macaw knows better to allow the macaw near her toddler.
If at all possible, try to get the macaws toys and place them into the cage so he has something from his past to make the transition easier.
Like some advise given, spend lots of time talking, eating and even bathing with the macaw once you are able to handle them to form a very strong bond. it is important to have your macaw see you as their alfa leader and protector, once you have achieved this, the rest is easy.
Please ask lots of questions and we will help out where we can.
To other Members on this board, Let's all be thankful that this new macaw owner has it in her heart to take on a macaw that would have otherwised be placed into a rescue. Even if this new owner cannot bond or handle this macaw and it turns out to be a nightmare and if this macaw owner places this macaw into a rescue, what really changed?
The blame should not be placed on the new owner but the owner who can no longer have this macaw.
When I purchaed both my birds, I made sure that both are taken care of both in my will and would never end up in a rescue.
Let's try to help this new owner out with positive feedback to help both new owner and macaw. Thanks to all joe

OP
MelanieAnn

MelanieAnn

Mar 31, 2012
Media

I would just like to reply to all of these negative comments, some of you act like your the only ones in the world that can own a Macaw, like this is some impossible bird to live with, or take care of and your wrong. Regardless of it being difficult for him to adjust to a new home, he was going to have to do it either way! And he is doing just fine, I got him just like I planned to, and he is now a family member, he steps up, I handfeed him, and he sits on my couch and talks my ear off. My son knows to stay 6 ft away from wherever he is, but he talks to him and Tili talks back, he sits on my shoulder and grooms himself. It's only been 2 days but I can tell he is going to be just fine. I did not appreciate any of your comments, very disrespectful. And whoever said I joined another parrot blog because I didn't like these responses is full of ****, this is the only one I'm on! And for your "case study" medical questions of "what to do when" I would call his ****ing vet and bring him in. Just ha to update you folks to let you know, much to your dismay, we are very happy!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus

I would just like to reply to all of these negative comments, some of you act like your the only ones in the world that can own a Macaw, like this is some impossible bird to live with, or take care of and your wrong. Regardless of it being difficult for him to adjust to a new home, he was going to have to do it either way! And he is doing just fine, I got him just like I planned to, and he is now a family member, he steps up, I handfeed him, and he sits on my couch and talks my ear off. My son knows to stay 6 ft away from wherever he is, but he talks to him and Tili talks back, he sits on my shoulder and grooms himself. It's only been 2 days but I can tell he is going to be just fine. I did not appreciate any of your comments, very disrespectful. And whoever said I joined another parrot blog because I didn't like these responses is full of ****, this is the only one I'm on! And for your "case study" medical questions of "what to do when" I would call his ****ing vet and bring him in. Just ha to update you folks to let you know, much to your dismay, we are very happy!

Thank you for giving us an update. I'm thrilled that it appears to be working out for you. I hope it continues to improve. Just remember to be firm with him and let him know who is boss when you deal with him. But yet be gentle at the same time. If things work out for you, then you will have a friend and a family member for life.

I'm not one to sugar coat things and make it sound like sugar plums and lollipops. I prefer for people to know exactly what they will be getting.

As an example: I have had Mac for close to a year now and we get along splendedly. But he also has his moments. Take this morning for instance, I had rested my hand on the top of his cage while my wife was adjusting one of his toys inside of his cage. I didn't pay attention to what Mac was doing at the time, but he scurried across the top of his cage and BIT my index finger so quickly, I didn't know what happened and couldn't react fast enough. He drew blood quickly and the tip of his beak actually went into my finger to the bone. What made it worse is that it startled me and I snatched my hand away yanking him off the cage and onto the floor.

Once on the floor, Mac came running over to me in his crouched position looking for me to pick him up and comfort him, which I did while heading to the bathroom to clean up the bite wound. This is the worsest bite I have received from Mac so far, but this is an example of what WILL happen when you let your guard down for only a minute.

So please, no matter how sweet and how great things are progressing with him, always keep your guard up. They are wild animals and not as domesticated as dogs or cats and sometimes it will come out when you least expect it.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 328

dbeau92

Mar 21, 2012

Rock on Melanie!!! I hope you hang around, theres alot of info here.Read Read Read and soon you'll be on your way to being a macaw pro(if thats possible..lol)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas

congrats on your new bird. I just got a quaker parrot two months ago. if i was 30 or 40 years younger age 66 but don't tell anyone then i would have gone for a macaw. We like pictures though i don't know how to post them myself. back in the dark ages when i was growing up there wasn't even tv nevermind computers. anyway welcome to the forum glad to have you on board. good luck:D Alison and Sweetie PIE

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)

I'm glad hes settling in okay, sounds like he picked you guys instead of you picking him (most important when getting a re-home). I applaud you for taking on a re-home, their more work but with a bigger reward. I hope for more updates and pics soon of your new family member. :D

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)

I am thrilled you are doing good with your new addition! I thought some of the comments were very rude and judgmental too. I think most of the members were trying to give helpful advice, but it came across rude. I am glad you are happy with your decision. They really become part of the family. Sorry that you got blasted so bad. Hope all continues to go well for you!

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)

I felt the same way Mozzie about some of the posts. The harsh reality is that NONE of these birds should be in captivity, they would all have a much happier life in the wild doing what birds are supposed to do (fly, have mates, raise babies, and be free - what a concept). Unfortunately there is a huge influx of birds in desperate need of homes. I don't know why someone should be given such a hard time when they are trying to take on the responsibility that another human (like most) couldn't. Instead of going off and buying a baby that will live longer than her (or the impulse buy at the pet store), she chose to get an older bird. Kudos. I'm sure the old owners, who had him for the first 10yrs, didn't just hand her the bird and say here you go keep in a closet and visit him once a week. I'm sure they talked to her about the care that he requires, esp. since a few home had already not worked out.

I was a teenager with no experience when I just ended up with a U2 one day. Nothing bad happened with this bird, he was great. We had a great relationship and I learned a lot from him. He ended up being taken from me because of circumstances beyond my control. Toos are a lot more work and I said I'd never have another Too. Now I have a M2. Sometimes we're just meant for certain things to happen in our lives. Your never going to know if something is going to work unless you try. At worst he gets re-homed again, at best he finds his forever home. That child that everyone is so afraid of may end up being this birds caretaker when he outlives his owner and have a life long relationship with this bird. We all say that we will have this bird 'forever' but the majority of birds in their current home will out live their owners, then what?

To the fear of bites, we all get bit at some point by something. Its going to happen, that is what stitches are for. Being bitten by a parrot isn't that bad considering what a dog can do or the car accident you get into on your way to the store for a gallon of milk. Should we not put children in cars because they are about the unsafest thing out there? Its not like there is a loose tiger in the house. If we all lived with the mindset that we shouldn't have something unless its safe we would go back to pet rocks...even those could hurt someone.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots

Right, so I just had two finals today. I had to vent somewhere about something but seriously guys...

pamcor57

Mar 22, 2012
Las Vegas
Parrots
B&G Macaws &
Parakeets

I agree with MTDORAMIKE......This is NOT a stater bird! First it is a good Idea for you to "study" the background of this spiecies. Then study what it takes to "care" for a Majestic B&G MAcaw. Then go to a local "Breeder" to get more helpful info and advice on this Macaw. Then ask yourself, do I have the time, patience and "MONEY" to care for this MAcaw. Are you able to afford Vet visits at the drop of a dime?? If this Macaw Nips at you...will you get mad at him and give him to someone else??? This Macaw has been with 3 different familys/people..and your number 4. I own 2 B&G Macaws. And before I ever entertained the idea of actually purchasing them I made sure "I" was informed and had all the knowledge I could shove into my brain about the care of these beautiful yet complexed Macaws. I am still learning and my B&G's are 9 years old now. No..these are not "starter" birds. I hope with all my heart that you will not regret getting him....These MAcaws are smart, they will take control over a person who is not constant with them. I hope you know what your doing. Good Luck.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)

Just have to ask how do you know that she hasn't done her homework and studied and read and thought it over carefully? I am not trying to be a wise guy at all but everyone seems to be jumping to the conclusion that she has not prepared. I guess I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. I think even in the fact that she was posting on here to get input from experienced bird owners says that she is working on her homework. I agree that it is not the normal situation for a first bird, but who are we to judge? I am sure there are a lot of situations of how members got their first parrot that might not be normal but worked out anyway. I think anyone that has the compassion to take in and adopt these beautiful parrots that needs homes so desperately and give them a forever home is doing a wonderful thing. I think she should be commended not criticized and that we should all be available to help her with her questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts