getting outside cage :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Lately my mom's been thinking about me getting a cage to go outside, at first she suggested a aviary but she wasn't willing to give away even 6' of her backyard lol. When I move out and have my own backyard I can make a awesome aviary
wink.png

So the cage I found is on CG, it is a lightly used HQ cage. I showed it to my mom but then realized it was all the way in Santa Rosa(110 miles away), but my mom said it is probably worth it and is going to buy it for me for my birthday since it's on the 22! I may even put Rosie's current cage outside and put this HQ cage inside, her current cage only cost me $215 brand new! easily replaced compared to a $500 HQ cage. We are buying the cage for $175. The cage is 1" deeper than Rosie's and then pretty much the same size. it is 36"W x66"H x28"W.

our plan is to drive up on Sunday to pick it up, and most likely sight see the north bay a little bit and eat lunch.

We are going to wrap the cage in a tarp when not in use to protect it from the elements, and bring put it in the garage in the winter when the weather is rainy. We live in a rain shadow and rain in the summer is very unusual. I expect a outside powder coat cage would last a year, I'm hoping that I might get 2 years out of it since I'm going to try to protect it.

It has casters, they just aren't on in the photo. She said one is loose, we can always buy another or replace it though.

3K93Fc3Lc5Kc5Md5Jcd4ebd82764dd9591056.jpg

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I had a cool idea, when the cage is in use I can throw eucalyptus branches over it for natural shade :)

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
That's awesome.

I'm lucky, we can roll our birds cage out on the deck when weather permits.
Good idea about the branches, providing shade is important for when Rosie wants a retreat. Rust will be your enemy over time with keeping outside, but with good care it should last a bit.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That's awesome.

I'm lucky, we can roll our birds cage out on the deck when weather permits.
Good idea about the branches, providing shade is important for when Rosie wants a retreat. Rust will be your enemy over time with keeping outside, but with good care it should last a bit.
Wow that is lucky! I wish I could roll their cages outside. Rosie and Kenji's cages are both in my room upstairs, being down stairs isn't a option because I don't trust people to not be careful around them while cooking and such. Bringing them downstairs just to go outside isn't really an option, Rosie's cage weighs 98 pounds and I'd probably hit the walls trying to get it down stairs lol

I'm very aware of rust, we have a cast iron grill that has lasted years without rusting since we cover it whenever it's not in use. Hopefully covering will be as affective with the cage.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Looks like a great cage. I am sure she is going to love it:)

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Lovely! I have a smaller cage I use sometimes to roll my sweeties (one at a time) out onto the front porch! They love the sunshine and the view! I'm sure yours will too!

Most Reactions