Getting ready early on - Long Post

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
In just a few months we'll be ready to bring a macaw into our home! I already have a cage and toys and play stands and enrichment toys picked out. And all that is actually as/more expensive than the bird itself.

After doing more research and talking to breeders and owners, my family and I have come to the conclusion that, though I'd prefer a scarlet or GW, a Blue and Gold would be a better fit for us. With their fun loving yet easy going personality and smaller size, it seems the best fit. As we own the house, noise isn't a concern. We know they can be LOUD :) as someone who has worked with horses for over 10 years, size and posturing don't intimadate me. Plus we're signing up for classes from a local rescue that centers around large birds and dealing with behavior problems :)

So here's my questions. I've done my research on B&Gs and macaws in general, but I find feedback from actual owners is better and I want to do this right! We are looking into getting a young one from a breeder and what's great is I'll be able to visit him/her often until weaned. My mother also lives in the house and while she's not really afraid of their 'size', she knows what damage they can cause and is a little timid, but she's willing to learn.

1. What is the best way to socialize young Macaws? I know with Macaws they need at least 4+ hours of people/free time. On occasions when I can't give the bird that much time that day, which is rare but happens, my mother fills in those missing moments. I want this baby to respect her as well.

2. Is their any behavior difference between male and female? I've found some places say yes, others no.

3. **Drawing a line between friend and flock leader? I want to make sure this bird knows I mean business and there are things that I won't tolerate, like biting. But I want a close companion who wants to be with me, take part in family time, and eventually going on outings. (Harnessed of course) How do you draw that line?

4. To fly or not to fly? One thing the breeder I'm looking at wants to know is after fledging when he's ready to come home, do I want him clipped or not? I'm torn on this. Im finishing a flight room full of perches galore that is dedicated for air time for my fids(they won't stay in there it's like a play room). My Conures are growing back in their flight feathers and are relearning flight. It's a nice way to let off steam, though 1 prefers free time to human time :) Should I allow the Macaw the same or should I wait till his boundaries are set?

5. Other than toys from pet stores what else can I give for chewing? I know Macs are like termites and I want to offer a wide variety of things to choose that are acceptable. Someone once said Phone Books but I would think the ink would be bad for them?

6. Routine switches? Are B&Gs forgiving? As someone who works varying shifts my schedule is often not the same.

7. Puberty Prep? I know they don't hit puberty till between 2-5 years, but is there anything I can do when he's young that will aid me later? I know it's rough and most really push their boundaries, I mean what teen doesn't ;) I understand they can become aggressive, pushy, loud and defiant. I just want to get a solid start so I won't have to back track and confuse him.

8. Does target training work with Macaws or is it to mundane for them? I started my Conures on target training as soon as they settled into my home, after a week, and it worked great!

9. Time outs! Do they work or would it be counterproductive? What's the best method? I don't want to use the cage because I don't want a negative association.

Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure I do this RIGHT from the beginning. I want to make sure I have a well socialized bird and that it's easy for him to understand his boundaries. My hope is that I can get him to a point where he becomes a member of the family in all aspects, yet still be independent.

Any links or pages that you find are a great read, feel free to attach. I'm so excited and I just want to do this properly :)

Dec 23, 2013
Wow...where to start...Ivan is my first and last bird..my partner says nothing more that eats.can come into the house..anyway I read about twenty books,bought two..and away we went...first off Ivan's been with me 4 1/2 years...I cannot stress enough how important diet is...if the bird is at the top of their game you have a better chance to get the most from them..so we're at Harrisons,a probiotic..whole nuts and fruit(grapes and blueberries seem to work) and vitimans in the afternoon tucked away in an Oyster cracker...I come down on the side of keeping them clipped..I take Ivan everywhere...but even if I didn't..I would...they are big enough to go through a screen or out the front door when the UPS guy shows up...Socializing for Ivan is just hanging out...a lot of time is spent with me reading or working in the garage..the hardest thing to teach is riding on your shoulder..Ivan does not "do" toys...but some times he'll chew up some untreated fir that I hang in his Avairy and sometimes a Phone book..he just tears it up and does not make a meal of it..I'll wrap this up with a few words on time outs...works for me...his night cage is in a room that can be closed off..I put him in the cage and lock the door...we don't do this at night and it helps to show you mean business..the room is dark and about a half hour seems to quiet him down...of course there is sooo much more...but here is my two cents...good luck..Bill

Most Reactions

Latest posts