Getting some sunshine!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I like your stand, where did you get it?

Plastic chip-n-dip tray from the dollar store and 2 wood dowels cut to size. Make appropriate drill holes, run a little elmers glue in the holes, and screw together ;). I got tired of all the poo and food crumbs and toys sliding off his old t-perch that had a flat wood base onto the floor every time we moved it (which is all the time as he's always on his perch).

Most impressive!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Kiwi is such a GORGEOUS boy!!!! LOVE his colors!!

I love that little stand too! Very creative!

Btw- I didn't know you were in Portland!!! I think that makes a whopping 3 of us Oregonians here lol

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi is such a GORGEOUS boy!!!! LOVE his colors!!

I love that little stand too! Very creative!

Btw- I didn't know you were in Portland!!! I think that makes a whopping 3 of us Oregonians here lol

We've only been here since last November. Have to say though, I'm not keen to ever go back to Arizona after living here. It's beautiful and green and I'm rather fond of the weather (especially the misty/fog stuff). Do you live in Portland too?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'm a born and raised Oregonian :D we live smack dab between Portland and Salem, so not too far.

Just you wait till summer!! After the 9 months of rain (lol) the summer times are just FABULOUS here....not too hot (anything over 90* is abnormal lol) and all the festivals on the waterfront in Portland-- sooo much fun!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm a born and raised Oregonian :D we live smack dab between Portland and Salem, so not too far.

Just you wait till summer!! After the 9 months of rain (lol) the summer times are just FABULOUS here....not too hot (anything over 90* is abnormal lol) and all the festivals on the waterfront in Portland-- sooo much fun!!!

Yeah, I just couldn't do the 9 months of rain stuff...

My parents aren't far from you, just across the border in Toledo, WA. I actually fly into Portland when I visit. It is nice in the summer... I just couldn't do it year round.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I dunno about everyone else but I LOVE the rain, the fog and the humidity. I grew up in Arizona but spent a lot of time in upstate NY with my family there too. Guess which one I liked better (except for winter)? Let me tell you, the >20% humidity perpetual dryness, 100 degrees being "nice weather", needing a jacket when it drops below 80 because thats "chilly" and 300-days a year of beating you to death sun gets old QUICK. No rain means the stinky smog (in Phoenix and Tucson) never goes away, and it's dusty SO dusty. Maybe I'm just a freak, but I love it here SO much more. I haven't even missed the sun (perhaps I am also a vampire?). Yay Oregon!

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I dunno about everyone else but I LOVE the rain, the fog and the humidity. I grew up in Arizona but spent a lot of time in upstate NY with my family there too. Guess which one I liked better (except for winter)? Let me tell you, the >20% humidity perpetual dryness, 100 degrees being "nice weather", needing a jacket when it drops below 80 because thats "chilly" and 300-days a year of beating you to death sun gets old QUICK. No rain means the stinky smog (in Phoenix and Tucson) never goes away, and it's dusty SO dusty. Maybe I'm just a freak, but I love it here SO much more. I haven't even missed the sun (perhaps I am also a vampire?). Yay Oregon!

You should have come to Houston. Here you can have the heat and the humidity :)

I'm from Idaho. I can't take the rain of OR and WA or the cold of Idaho.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
what no one wants a couple feet of snow one month and brutal heat and humidity in another???

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
You should have come to Houston. Here you can have the heat and the humidity :)

You can keep your excessive heat (yes, I've been to Houston in the summer)! I'm much more the "cold loving" type. You can always put more layers on, but one can only take so many layers off :09: Though, when it's 113 out, you could be butt naked and it's not going to help:( I think my brain fried a little each day when I walked to work in the hot months:30:.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Birdman- my dad is from Winlock; his brothers and my grandpa "Sawmill Ed" were all loggers. Small world, eh? Lol

Kiwi- yes, I do believe it's a requirement to be vampire-ish to handle living in Oregon ;) hahha all this rain and I rarely ever use an umbrella :rolleyes:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Birdman- my dad is from Winlock; his brothers and my grandpa "Sawmill Ed" were all loggers. Small world, eh? Lol

Kiwi- yes, I do believe it's a requirement to be vampire-ish to handle living in Oregon ;) hahha all this rain and I rarely ever use an umbrella :rolleyes:

Ever been in monsoon rains before? As in the heavens open and within 5 minutes, you have flooding streets and you walk 20 feet in it, you look like you just stood in the shower for 2 hours with your clothes on? Ya, that's what I always thought when they said "it rains a lot in OR". Really, it just drizzles and spits all the time. It's funny, I never went outside in AZ. I've been taking daily 3-4 mile hikes here, it's so beautiful. And I find a hat is all I really need, found only 2 or 3 occasions I actually needed an umbrella. Though I don't look forward to the bugs come summer. I know the ones in NY are big enough to put a saddle on and hatch by the billions every summer, and I would imagine a similar unfortunate situation up here.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
LOL I have not experienced a "real" monsoon, but we do occasionally have downpours that come so hard and fast the sound on the roof always makes me look out the window "what the heck..??? Oh it's just raining" hahha

There are sooo many wonderful parks here!!! If you ever wander towards my neck of the woods, go to the Tualatin Wildlife Reserve- it's between Sherwood and Tigard...lots of trails and wildlife!! Oodles of birds, and my mom saw a couple otters once. There is also Champoeg State Park- GORGEOUS and you can camp, disc golf, picnic, and it's right next to the river.

Bugs- you should've seen the front of my in-laws house yesterday :eek: the sun brought out TONS of those little bark beetles...they're not huge, but they're EVERYWHERE!!!

Btw- Mosquitos are horrible here....just a fair warning ;)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I know it's only mid-march but this recent sunny weather (yes- the sun has indeed returned!! Lol) has apparently prompted some people to wear tank-tops and shorts lol. I wouldn't be surprised if a good majority of Portlandians are out sunbathing on the waterfront in their bikinis :eek: :p HAHAHA

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back