Getting some sunshine!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So, we were kind of cleaning up our deck and prepping it for a little container garden we'll be putting in soon and Mr. Kiwi wanted to come out (by means of LOUD contact calls) and we obliged. He was SO happy to be out in the sunshine, though all the little outside birds took off while he was out there. Not sure they quite knew what to make of him:p. He still got to see all the nature, and my o my, did he look stunning in the natural light:09: Seeing him today made me thing the price of a carrier and effort of going on walks with him every day will SO be worth it:D

DSC_3520_zpsd64f8ac8.jpg

(Guess what green thing I'm going to plant.....)
8064be87-571e-4110-8316-322a93fcb861_zps9b456682.jpg

(Don't worry, his perch wasn't precariously placed, just the camera angle:09:)
7945da1c-98fe-4a0d-9389-e9533db44021_zps0e1f037a.jpg

(Mommy's stunning boy)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If he's clipped, why the carrier?! Just perch him on a hand and go...

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Because I'm more nervous than he is lol. What about a hawk, what about a big dog with an irresponsible owner who didn't leash it, what about an overly curious child with a highly distracted/doesn't give a crap parent........ Plus, Joe may let him get up on his shoulder, but I do not allow him on mine (he has bit me in the face pretty severely before, though it's been a few years), my hand would cramp up after 15/20 minutes of carrying him. I'm thinking a carrier would be more comfortable and safer for both of us for going father than the end of the driveway. But he can still come out on the deck and stuff.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WOW!! He looks spectacular in the sunlight! :D GREAT photos! I can't wait to take mine out again, if only the weather would cooperate already.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
He looks stunning!! Yep me and the fids are desperate for spring this year, it has been a long cold winter!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Kiwi is beautiful! I especially love the last pic. Looks like he was posing for a portrait.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
While he gets to look out the window all day, I think he was a bit awe-struck actually being around trees that big. He's never been around anything quite like this before. Even the "big" trees where we used to live were dwarfs compared to the monsters outside.

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
While he gets to look out the window all day, I think he was a bit awe-struck actually being around trees that big. He's never been around anything quite like this before. Even the "big" trees where we used to live were dwarfs compared to the monsters outside.

What fun for both of you, and such great pictures! I am sure he will want to be out more and more now, even if the little birds do fly away when the big green giant comes out!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I swear he is smiling!!!....he looks like he is in his glory outside.
fantastic photos, I'm glad you both enjoyed the sunshine.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

What fun for both of you, and such great pictures! I am sure he will want to be out more and more now, even if the little birds do fly away when the big green giant comes out!

lololol! The jolly green giant is more like it. He fancies himself the ruler of all legions of woodland minions that he rules from his play tree (through the window). He's always making noises at them and flaring his wings and dancing at them. He was probably a little disappointed they all flew off before he could catch one and play with it:11:.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
You must have some nice scenery up there in Portland. Wish I had that here!
I've never been to OR, but have a good friend in Bend.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I like your stand, where did you get it?

Plastic chip-n-dip tray from the dollar store and 2 wood dowels cut to size. Make appropriate drill holes, run a little elmers glue in the holes, and screw together ;). I got tired of all the poo and food crumbs and toys sliding off his old t-perch that had a flat wood base onto the floor every time we moved it (which is all the time as he's always on his perch).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Because I'm more nervous than he is lol. What about a hawk, what about a big dog with an irresponsible owner who didn't leash it, what about an overly curious child with a highly distracted/doesn't give a crap parent........ Plus, Joe may let him get up on his shoulder, but I do not allow him on mine (he has bit me in the face pretty severely before, though it's been a few years), my hand would cramp up after 15/20 minutes of carrying him. I'm thinking a carrier would be more comfortable and safer for both of us for going father than the end of the driveway. But he can still come out on the deck and stuff.

Well, mine stay put. I take walks with mine with a macaw on one shoulder, an amazon on my left hand, and another macaw on my right hand.

Mine have all been socialized around dogs, and were exposed to dogs jumping up on us. I just hold my arms up. If need be, if it looks like the bird is nervous, then I put a thumb over a foot. They generally just sit there, though sometimes if the dog is barking, Maggie will "bark back."

Hawks aren't a factor around here. They were in NorCal. And I just kept an eye out for them. If they were around, we either cut the walk short, or just didn't go out.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Plastic chip-n-dip tray from the dollar store and 2 wood dowels cut to size. Make appropriate drill holes, run a little elmers glue in the holes, and screw together ;). I got tired of all the poo and food crumbs and toys sliding off his old t-perch that had a flat wood base onto the floor every time we moved it (which is all the time as he's always on his perch).

Very clever.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
He was always pretty in pics, but he is truly gorgeous in the sun!!!

And awesome clever for the stand. We purchased on similar, but all plastic from mybirdstore.com, but like yours much more!!!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Well, mine stay put. I take walks with mine with a macaw on one shoulder, an amazon on my left hand, and another macaw on my right hand.

Mine have all been socialized around dogs, and were exposed to dogs jumping up on us. I just hold my arms up. If need be, if it looks like the bird is nervous, then I put a thumb over a foot. They generally just sit there, though sometimes if the dog is barking, Maggie will "bark back."

Hawks aren't a factor around here. They were in NorCal. And I just kept an eye out for them. If they were around, we either cut the walk short, or just didn't go out.

We might be where you are someday (with Kiwi just freely on my arm), but I don't think we're there yet. He wasn't treated too nicely in his past, especially by women, so I have very much taken a approach of letting him come to me at his own pace, which he has. I want to form a better bond with him though. Seeing as these will be his first trips outdoors away from the safety of the backyard, I think we will both have a much more positive experience if he's a little more shielded from the world so he can get used to all the different sights and sounds:).

Edit: I do want to see Kiwi be a more outdoor/social bird and I think he has the right personality and his lack of flight makes me more comfortable with bringing him out and about as he becomes more comfortable with new situations. From what we know of his history, he was never taught to fly, and I believe it because he seems to have no desire or ability to learn. And while being non-flighted and clipped (just as an extra safety precaution), I think we can turn that into a positive for him in another way. My parents 3 birds have always been flighted and while they sometimes come if you call, they certainly aren't recall trained to the point you could ever allow them outdoors outside a cage. I always remembered being SO paranoid carrying them outside to put them in their outside cages in the summer. I was probably cutting off circulation to their feet I was holding so tightly. And while they were ok being on the patio in a cage, they were extremely frightened of anything bigger than a squirrel and freaked out if they had to be in the car to go to the vet, even though they had free flight in the house. I think the first couple times Kiwi came outside and ran around in the grass I was on the verge of a heart attack with fear and literally hovering over him. Now I'm much more confident in his ability to have supervised outdoor time without a leash, but I'm still verge of a heart attack scared of him getting injured in some way in a unfamiliar situation. Since he already LOVES car rides and since he's not a flyer, I want for him to feel comfortable coming out and about, just want to encourage it at his own pace and acclimate him to the big world.

Last edited:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment

Awesome! Very creative!

Most Reactions

Latest posts