MissMistie

Jul 12, 2017
Media
Marysville, Wa
Parrots
Max ~ IRN
Chuckie ~ Yellow Naped Amazon
Jinx ~ Quaker
I'm new to the Amazon world, and I'm finding it to be so much fun. I've only had Chuckie for a few weeks now. I'm starting to get to know his likes and dislikes. He loves Papaya treats, foot rubs and watching himself on video. Today i just discovered that he love to destroy any stick that is within reach. I'm still working with him on stepping up and a friend of mine suggested that i try using a tree branch or small piece of wood. So I tried it... He stole the stick from me. He is a very silly bird. He's starting to open up more and more each day. Saying new things, and in new voices. I love how entertaining he is. I'm so excited to hear all the new things he will learn to say.
View attachment 18962View attachment 18963

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

In addition to the Sticky Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum, there are several excellent Threads in the first five pages of the Amazon Forum! Yes, there are ever more great Threads the further back your go. But, I did want to let you know of the level of resources available.

So how old is Chuckie?

Enjoy!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Chuck is quite a handsome fellow. You are both learning about the other, but remember to go at his pace, don't rush things, he will be with you a long time!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Re: Getting to know Cuckie

Nice to meet you, Chuckie!
You are a handsome fellow.
I can't wait to follow your adventures!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
A warm welcome to you and Chuckie! Congratulations, your new companion is very handsome! Enjoy the adventure. Great photos, thank you for sharing them.

Your Chuckie just helped me to identify my newly adopted Amazon's sub species! Thank you!

OP
M

MissMistie

Jul 12, 2017
Media
Marysville, Wa
Parrots
Max ~ IRN
Jinx ~ Quaker
Chuckie is somewhere between 27-30 years old. I'm not sure. The lady I got him from said that her daughter had him for a little over 25 years. The vet records she gave me said he was 27+ years.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As Chuckie becomes ever more comfortable with his new home, you will find him every more interested in the World around him.

Please assure that you read the First Sticky Thread in the Amazon Forum! Understanding an Amazon's Body Language is very important to developing a relationship between you and the rest of the Family.

The greatest tool for developing this and many more things about your YNA is to read aloud to your Amazon! Amazon's Love to be Read Too! While you are doing this, he becomes more comfortable with you and you learn more about him.

You have an older Amazon and as a result, he has expanded his Body Language beyond what is provided in the Body Language Thread. The basics are always there, you just need to watch for and learn his more expanded Language Base! NOTE: Amazons use both Body Language and specific sounds to communicate. The wise Amazon Owner will pay close attention to link those moments and sounds to what is going on around him, you and both of you! You will be very surprised at how much you are missing that is going on around you!

Please read; I Love Amazons - ... The other highlighted Sticky at the top of the Amazon Forum. With in that very large Thread you will find an extensive knowledge base of information for Living and Loving an Amazon!

Amazon's Have More Fun!

FYI: Thank-you, for providing his age!

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome Chuckie to the forum...handsome fella that you are ;)

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Lol. Named after the evil doll Chuckie?:D Would be a great namesake for an amazon;)

He's a handsome boy! No doubt, you will quickly be wrapped around his little talon, on call to complete his every demand:p Amazons are great birds, they have a lot of personality and attitude. Good at training humans. Keep us posted on him:)

OP
M

MissMistie

Jul 12, 2017
Media
Marysville, Wa
Parrots
Max ~ IRN
Jinx ~ Quaker
As Chuckie becomes ever more comfortable with his new home, you will find him every more interested in the World around him.

Please assure that you read the First Sticky Thread in the Amazon Forum! Understanding an Amazon's Body Language is very important to developing a relationship between you and the rest of the Family.

The greatest tool for developing this and many more things about your YNA is to read aloud to your Amazon! Amazon's Love to be Read Too! While you are doing this, he becomes more comfortable with you and you learn more about him.

You have an older Amazon and as a result, he has expanded his Body Language beyond what is provided in the Body Language Thread. The basics are always there, you just need to watch for and learn his more expanded Language Base! NOTE: Amazons use both Body Language and specific sounds to communicate. The wise Amazon Owner will pay close attention to link those moments and sounds to what is going on around him, you and both of you! You will be very surprised at how much you are missing that is going on around you!

Please read; I Love Amazons - ... The other highlighted Sticky at the top of the Amazon Forum. With in that very large Thread you will find an extensive knowledge base of information for Living and Loving an Amazon!

Amazon's Have More Fun!

FYI: Thank-you, for providing his age!

I've been reading those threads, even referring back to them several times a week. They have been very helpful,especially when it comes to food. That has helped a lot. I don't think he was offered fresh fruit and greens in quite some time. But the more I offer, the more he tries and then I learn what he will eat and what he will toss aside.

OP
M

MissMistie

Jul 12, 2017
Media
Marysville, Wa
Parrots
Max ~ IRN
Jinx ~ Quaker
Lol. Named after the evil doll Chuckie?:D Would be a great namesake for an amazon;)

He's a handsome boy! No doubt, you will quickly be wrapped around his little talon, on call to complete his every demand:p Amazons are great birds, they have a lot of personality and attitude. Good at training humans. Keep us posted on him:)

When I first brought him home, I thought the same thing... Named after the evil doll. Lol I thought about changing his name to Chuckles, but with his age, I decided against it. For the record, he's much nicer than the doll.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
it sounds like you and him have a great rapport already!

There's not really much I can add, you seem to have things down with him pretty well, just remember to do as he commands and you've got a lot of happy subservient years ahead of you

Most Reactions