girl macaw vs girl human

brycehill

Jan 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
i was just wondering if there is anything i can do about my macaw not liking my wife. she still lets her hold her but she will often strike at my wife. just wondering if it can be helped or if its a lost cause.

memberMOA_zps23330485.png

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
How long ave you had both your wife and the bird?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You should check out this video, it's about the power pause. It's a great technique. The video features a tiel and blue and gold

[ame="http://youtu.be/nuERdlr2BZg"]Parrot Training Video THE 'Power Pause' Technique - YouTube[/ame]

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Yea, it'd be real helpful to know more details on the bird and wife to give any decent input.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
My Hahns prefers me, but will spend time with my wife also. If I am in the room however mostly he will use her to get to me. If he is on my shoulder and she comes near he will attack her, so we prep accordingly.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
my wife and i have been married for about 4 months, and we have had our macaw for about a week.

Give the bird more time to get used to its new surroundings, one week isn't long enough to settle in...also let your wife do the feeding and have her just sit by the cage, read, sing, talk to the bird give treats etc....

Doves1

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Phoenix the Scarlet Macaw
Get your wife to interact with your Macaw in a safe environment, I have the same issues with my Scarlet and boyfriend. Macaw's are a one person bird so I doubt your wife and bird will have the same relationship as you and your bird but she should be able to handle and feed your bird.

Hold the bird yourself and have her come up to pet him, hold his head still if you have too. Your bird needs to know that it won't hurt him to have your wife pet him.

Most Reactions