Gizmo's Ladder

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Hey all,

There have been a lot of good ideas about DIY toy making lately, and today while cleaning cages, I was pulling out Gizmo's timber ladder and started thinking about how long and well it has lasted, and the use that it gets.

I can't remember if I've shared it before, but as it is probably his most used DIY toy, I thought I would share it.

So this is the ladder as it sits in his cage

and an image of it out, just to give an idea of construction

One of my hobbies is woodworking, so I probably have a few more tools than most, but construction wise it is pretty simple. It's basically one thicker branch cut in half to make the side rails, and then another thinner branch cut into smaller equal lengths to make the rungs. All I did was drill some holes in the side rails, and then used a disc sander (although a belt sander would also work) to sand the ends of the rungs, like sharpening a pencil, until they fit tightly into the holes. The good thing with the design is it means I can fully dismantle it, and clean everything.

Lastly the best thing about Gizmo's ladder is first thing in the morning, when he climbs down, pokes his head from under the blanket and says "Hello" or "What are you doing"

Cheers,

Camo

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That is a great ladder, great job!! I love Gizmo peaking under the blanket while on his ladder, lol.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, the look on his face in that one is priceless...

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great ladder, thanks for the instructions! Adorable photo of Gizmo.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Nice ladder! Thanks for instructions.

That shot of Gizmo peeking out from under the cover is priceless!

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots

He is a funny character. Here is a little video as I was stripping the cage. I was outside cleaning Gizmo and Pebbles toys and had them locked up as the door was being opened and closed a lot.

Gizmo obviously thought he had better start playing with his kabob before I took that away:D. Unfortunately I can't get the audio to copy, which is a shame, because when the kabob gets stuck, he goes over to it (at about 41 seconds) and says "Tickle Tickle", as if to encourage it to come back and play:smile006:

[ame="https://youtu.be/oQWVzycKViY"]Gizmo's version of swingball - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers,

Camo

Last edited:

GreyNickels

Oct 4, 2015
NY
Parrots
Verdi - Green Cheek Conure
Pippi - Congo African Grey
After getting birds I started telling my husband "I need a drill press and a scroll/ band saw." I loose too much wood when slicing little slices on the radial saw, and they just go flying anyway. And drilling all those toy parts one at a time with a regular drill? #snore

Clearly now I need some sort of sander as well ;)

Thanks for the excuse. Ahem. I mean idea.

OP
camo

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots

After getting birds I started telling my husband "I need a drill press and a scroll/ band saw." I loose too much wood when slicing little slices on the radial saw, and they just go flying anyway. And drilling all those toy parts one at a time with a regular drill? #snore

Clearly now I need some sort of sander as well ;)

Thanks for the excuse. Ahem. I mean idea.

Hahaha,

Glad I could help with an idea, and acquiring a new toy for yourself;)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Just too cute for words! I have a drill press and band saw from my dad when he passed away (lord knows why, no clue how to use them, and the only think likely to get drilled and cut is my hand). This could by my excuse to learn how to use them.:)

Most Reactions