Glass/ceramic cooktops

LittleGreenBird

Aug 14, 2012
Connecticut
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure- Casady
Am I correct in assuming glass/ceramic cooktop stoves are not parrot-safe? We are house hunting, and most of the places we've looked at have these types of stoves. I have heard that they are teflon or otherwise nonstick-coated. Has anyone else had the same problem? Do you live in the house anyway and keep the kitchen closed off or purchased a new stove altogether?

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I was under the impression these were safe, would like to know now. I thought they were just plain sheets of glass?

There are types of non-stick coatings that are safe in pans, like adonised and ceramic incase you were wondering about that.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Glass cooktops don't impose problems because of PTFEs, but from the danger of heated cooking areas not apparent to birds. Ovens are a different story, however, it is relatively easy to check on an appliance because virtually all manufacturers maintain a relatively good customer service department. Copy down the manufacturer, model number and serial number...usually on the top or top left edge of the oven door or door frame.

When you inquire (via e-mail so you have a written record) ask if PTFEs or PFOAs were used in the manufacture of the appliance.

If you have a self-cleaning oven, you want to take all birds out of the house before using the self-clean feature and for at least 24 hours after it has finished its cleaning cycle...and be sure to use your kitchen's exhaust fan, unless it vents into the kitchen, in which case you will need to use a box fan and vent the fumes to the outside.....using the self-cleaning function will kill birds in the house.

Akraya's right, though the tops are specially tempered sheets of glass, as well as anodized metals and the new ceramic coatings.....

Last edited:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Always check the individual model, but it is.my understanding that they are safe. My parents have one and it poses no issue with their bird.
As others have stated self cleaning ovens are an issue when used for self cleaning, regular use.is.ok.

Most Reactions

Latest posts