Glasses thief

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Last night, after several attempts over the last few weeks, Rocky managed to snatch my glasses right off my face and THROW them. I am as good as blind without them, and I was in the act of moving his taxi from the hall down into the birds' room (two steps down) so I had to finish doing that without being able to see where the glasses landed and envisioning an A Christmas Story moment, figuring I'd set the taxi down and hear "CRUNCH." I didn't hear crunch, but once I set the taxi down, I had to literally crawl around on the floor and feel for them.

In contrast, Clyde gets angry and bites me if I take my glasses off even to wipe the lenses, so this is a real pickle. Clyde was on a boing scolding and shrieking because I wasn't wearing my glasses, Rocky is patting himself on the back for being so clever that he got rid of my glasses, I'm crawling around on the floor, and Freddie is merrily singing the Andy Griffith theme and telling us all he's a pretty baby.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I don't understand why glasses fascinate birds so much. When Amy goes on an adventure with me he is always attempting to remove my sunglasses. Even Beeb's try to remove my reading specks :confused: Forbidden fruit??

Jim

OP
Siobhan

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
In Rocky's case, I think it's more of a game. He definitely was pleased with himself for accomplishing this after trying so many times. When a giant 'too beak is coming at your face, you flinch and dodge, so he's never been successful before, and I didn't know what he was trying to do. I thought he was cobra-striking my face. After he got the glasses, he sat up so straight and tall and was so proud that I didn't have the heart to even scold him for it. I did say "Why did you do that?" and he gave me that look he gives me when I stupidly ask him that question about anything, which translated means "Because I'm a cockatoo. Duh."

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Noodles lives to steal glasses---especially sunglasses. Cockatoos are so weirdly similar in some respects lol!

OP
Siobhan

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
I am impressed, in retrospect, that he managed to do that cobra strike, get the glasses, and never touched my skin with that giant beak. That's accuracy. LOL That, of course, just proves that he knows darned well when he's biting hard enough to hurt.

Most Reactions