Global Owl Project; Pels Fishing Owl care

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
When I had my Wildlife Rehab Permit, owls were my favorite. I had several of different kinds. All of them were majestic, regal beings. They have such soft feathers, and make interesting sounds. Also, they often look like they know a secret or two. I miss them the most, of all the critters I've had.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
When I had my Wildlife Rehab Permit, owls were my favorite. I had several of different kinds. All of them were majestic, regal beings. They have such soft feathers, and make interesting sounds. Also, they often look like they know a secret or two. I miss them the most, of all the critters I've had.

"Know a secret or 2"...well put! Same here, had several species as rehab birds, Saw Whets even managed to look regal. At the Bx Zoo, worked with a Milky Eagle owl that reache 50-52 years of age. Hope to start up with them again. Best, frank

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
You are so blessed to get to work with these animals. I would love to just be close to an owl. I think they like wonderful and terrible all at the same time. They are one of the few animals that can look terrifying one minute, and then turn around and look absolutely goofy. I have a healthy respect for their size and the fact that they are wild animals, but Im endlessly fascinated by them.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
My favorite owl was an Elf Owl that we got in a raid on an illegal exotics breeder. It was the only one, and was the guys pet. It was so tiny. And made little yips like a puppy, among other soft noises. Also, almost never came out in daytime. I fed her crickets, moths, and mealworms. Once in a while (rarely) it would take a pinky mouse.When I first got her, she played possum, and I thought she died from fright, or I killed her. But, she was fine, and lived with me for about 5 years. She slept in a wooden birdhouse in a large flight cage. A very interesting bird!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
You are so blessed to get to work with these animals. I would love to just be close to an owl. I think they like wonderful and terrible all at the same time. They are one of the few animals that can look terrifying one minute, and then turn around and look absolutely goofy. I have a healthy respect for their size and the fact that they are wild animals, but Im endlessly fascinated by them.

Thanks..yes, I've been very lucky. They do seem to change their appearance, as you say..very unique. Quite a few nature centers keep injured owls these days - usually their cages allow for closer viewing than do zoos; and local birding clubs sometimes sponsor "owl walks" where recordings are played to lure owls close...6-7 species stop by and in some cases nest even here in NYC...might be worth looking into if you are able. Enjoy, best, Frank

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
My favorite owl was an Elf Owl that we got in a raid on an illegal exotics breeder. It was the only one, and was the guys pet. It was so tiny. And made little yips like a puppy, among other soft noises. Also, almost never came out in daytime. I fed her crickets, moths, and mealworms. Once in a while (rarely) it would take a pinky mouse.When I first got her, she played possum, and I thought she died from fright, or I killed her. But, she was fine, and lived with me for about 5 years. She slept in a wooden birdhouse in a large flight cage. A very interesting bird!

Thanks for the note, I've read that they specialize in insects but have not worked with any; I've yet to see one up close..definitely high on my list; Best, Frank

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You always post the most interesting things. It's crazy to try and visualize and owl swooping into a lake and snatching a fish like an eagle would. It's just not what I think of when I picture an owl. They are a pretty varied species though. Those tiny "ground owls" are absolutely adorable, and the bigger owls you actually see and hear are pretty cool animals. Except when it's 3 am and the loudest owl in the area is in a tree near your window when he has countless acres of wilderness/forest to go be loud in right across the road.

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
You always post the most interesting things. It's crazy to try and visualize and owl swooping into a lake and snatching a fish like an eagle would. It's just not what I think of when I picture an owl. They are a pretty varied species though. Those tiny "ground owls" are absolutely adorable, and the bigger owls you actually see and hear are pretty cool animals. Except when it's 3 am and the loudest owl in the area is in a tree near your window when he has countless acres of wilderness/forest to go be loud in right across the road.

Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed...The fishing owls are an odd group. I've seen footage of the Blakiston's sitting by a stream and then wading in after a fish when one appears! They also hop down onto fish from boulders...apparently they often use streams within forests, so it's difficult to soar/dive as would an eagle or osprey...but we know very little about most, so ...

I had a pair of burrowing owls for years at the zoo..they bred once, the chicks were amazing! Enjoy, Best, frank

Most Reactions