Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Well summer has arrived and over the last three days we've had a ton of rain south of Houston, TX. I've noticed since late last week gnats or tiny flies in the house. This is typical around the sink so I put slices of lemons in the garbage disposal to address the sink. BUT, Buddy now has a cloud of tiny flies around his cage. I feed him fresh fruit and veg in the morning, afternoon and dinner, change his water at the same time. Does anyone have this issue and a way to address it that is not harmful to Buddy?

Mosquitos are coming out and given the volume of rain we've had they will be swarming next week. They come in when we come in from outside so I'm hoping to find a way to control them but how will they affect Buddy?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Not sure about mosquitoes....

If it's gnats though, get some apple cider vinegar (or red wine! if you feel like allowing the gnats to die in happy bliss! ;) ) and put it into a glass jar (or similar container). Add a couple of drops of soap and swish the solution around. Then, cover with plastic wrap and put a rubber band around the seal. Poke a few holes into the top of the plastic. Leave out for however long is required, maybe occasionally refreshing the solution inside.

Likewise, you could take a plastic bottle, cut the top off, invert it, and tape it back together, creating a funnel leading to the vinegar (or wine) trap.

If it's fruit flies you are dealing with, that trap works *GREAT*! Been there, done that! :D

Likewise, you could also save Buddy's fruits from the day, put into a plastic ziplock bag and leave open over-night. First thing in the morning, zip it up and toss. Repeat each night until the flies are gone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts