Goffin's Too question

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I'm considering getting a Goffin's Too, and have a few questions. This particular bird was turned into a bird store because his wife wasn't a bird person. The bird is 17 years old and outwardly appears to be healthy. No plucking. He's very affectionate, and immediately flew onto my shoulder. He let my kids scritch his neck, and he nestled into my son's neck with this look of heaven on his face.

I currently own 2 duskie conures. My birds are very good at entertaining themselves for long periods of time. What I've been reading about Toos is that they are a rather high maintenance bird. At this point in time, I'd probably only be able to spend about 1 hour of focused attention on him. This doesn't mean that he wouldn't be allowed out of his cage any other time; only that I have around 2.5-3 hours max to provide focused time for 3 birds.

Will this be enough? He'd be able to perch near me when I'm working from home. Our cages are in our great room, which is where our family spends the majority of time.

I'm also a little concerned about getting a parrot this age, as he's probably already set in his ways. His previous owner wrote up a paper about him, but really didn't talk about any quirks, other than to stand clear if he's in the throes of shredding up paper towel cardboard inserts; otherwise he'll nip.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I think that is still pretty young for a Too and he already wants to go near you and your son. plus it doesn't sound like he will be in an empty house all day. I would say go for it. My birds love the interaction of being in the room with us even when in their cage and watching hubby on the computer or me in the kitchen. We talk to them and are home most of the time. Even time playing of their cages playing we are still there.:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
"I'm also a little concerned about getting a parrot this age, as he's probably already set in his ways."

You say that as if he's incapable of learning anything new! Any animal at any age can be taught new behaviors! Some animals may just pick up on things quicker than others!

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I had a goffin cockatoo. An 30 minutes to an hour is plenty of time of direct attention IF your bird can be out of it's cage for several hours, and IF it can see many activities going on in the house.
If you provide these other factors, your bird does not truly have to entertain itself all day.
I would be wary keeping the cockatoo near your other birds because of the dust.

You must be very determined in training and teaching him to entertain himself when others aren't around. Also be prepared for loudddd calls.

buddhabread

Mar 15, 2013
Parrots
Clemmy-Hawk : Goffin's cockatoo,
Banzai : Yellow-sided green cheek conure
Our G2 is pretty good at entertaining herself when we can't have her out with us. She isn't like our green cheek, who will mostly chill and wander without destroying anything. She makes it her mission to take apart things that weren't meant to be taken apart, so toys that can be picked through and pieced to destruction will help him keep himself busy. Foraging toys are your best friend!

Most Reactions