Going to be a Hahn's Macaw Parront.

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
After months of research and going out to pet stores looking at different types of parrots, I finally decided to go with the one breed that really caught my attention in the beginning. So I found a reputable breeder in PA that just had 2 hatched a week ago, so I'll be a parront in 10 to 14 weeks when he/she is ready to come home. Gives me a little time to find a cage, toys, and all the fixins and goodies. :)

I was thinking about getting a cage around the size of 32" x 24" x 56" or slightly bigger. Or should I get a little smaller cage at first and then move up to a bigger cage? Any other things anyone suggest that I should get as well? Thanks!

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I would just get a good size age and save you some money (Unless you think the bird will need a cage for boarding). I bought this cage Large Prevue Bird Cage - by BirdsComfort.com when I knew I was getting a baby Hahns macaw. I recommend toys especially wooden toys. Your hahns will like to eat nuts such as almonds, pine nuts, ect. Sisal rope perches and dragon wood perches are good perches. I have rope, sisal and wooden perches that I switch around. You can also build up your skill of cooking chop mixes for the bird. You will also need a cement/pedicure perch so your Hahns macaw can maintain his/her beak and claws. Of course once in awhile your birds claws and beak tip will need to be trimmed. My vet rarely has to do this (especially when it comes to the beak). You can find stuff you need at mysafebirdstore and drfostersandsmith.

denaz101

Nov 23, 2014
Asheville NC
Parrots
Hahns Macaw
I am a first time hahns macaw parront and I have been really enjoying this relationship, though Sunny was diagnosed with a respiratory issue and on antibiotics, Sunny is an amazing parrot, smart, funny, curious and playful, the whole family has been blessed by his presence, I hope you enjoy the new member of the family

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Thanks! I don't plan on boarding, but I did pick up a travel cage on sale for $50. It's the Poquito Avian Hotel. I did see that Prevue Pet cage and it is one I was considering. Another one that I really like is the Poipu Palace. A bigger cage means more toys. :) I will buy a buy a bunch but I think I will also try to make some of my own as well. I'll definitely have to practice on chopped meals. I'll have to find a good local source of organic foods. I also plan on getting an air purifier for the room as well.

Denaz101 - I saw your post on Sunny. I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Here are some pics. One is from a couple of weeks ago, and the other was from today. Look like little aliens! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_46602020869833.jpeg
    IMG_46602020869833.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 403

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
OH MY i just LOVE baby bird pictures! So cute! Just get the largest cage you can afford so you save money on upgrading later on. Id love to see pictures of his setup when you decide and get it up and decorated. :)

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
OH MY GOODNESS those babies are so darn cute!!

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Aww, what precious pictures!!!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Those pics make me miss my "bird raising" days! It was so amazing!! I don't want to do it again, but I'm so glad I experienced it! Congrats on your new baby...can't wait to see more pics!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Thought you were getting a bird? Why the bearded dragon pictures? ;)

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
They're 2 different birds. I have first choice of the 2. Will wait till they get near full grown to choose probably. Then once DNA tested I can choose a name if its a boy or girl :)

OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Well I just got my shipment from My Safe Bird Store and I got most of the goodies for the cage. And the cage is ordered, should be here in a week or 2. Here's pics of what I got so far including parts to make my own toys. :)

new bird goodies

Last edited:
OP
EdgesofTwilight

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Here's some more updated photos. They are starting to fill out and look more like parrots and less like aliens. :)
FB_IMG_1424059084463-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1424059080640.jpg

Most Reactions