Good seed blend?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
My apologies for the late response, I was going for a snack run.

I was using that section to point out why all seed diets arenā€™t good. It said how all seed diets are not nutritious, and are high in fats- both of which arenā€™t good for birds. Fatty liver and malnutrition are extremely harmful.

And it wasnā€™t saying there wasnā€™t seeds in Australia, it said: ā€œHowever, agricultural crops were not planted in Australia until some 200 years ago so the grains found in commercial seed mixes are not indigenous to the natural habitat of Australian parrots. In fact, many of these grains originate from the American continent and thus are not natural food items for African or Asiatic species either.ā€

It said that many of the grains and seeds commonly found in commercial seed mixes arenā€™t native to Australia, as they come from America.

If you want the full nutritional section, Iā€™ll show it here:
View attachment 55136View attachment 55137View attachment 55138View attachment 55139View attachment 55140View attachment 55141

Sorry I misread the part about Australia.

The thing about that theory is that it assumes that our pet birds eat as much as wild birds do, consuming more energy than they're burning. If that was the case then we would see fat budgies and tiels, that has not been my experience over the years.

Im not advocating for an ALL seed diet.
My vet said to give my tiel a seed BASED diet with fruit and veg and pellets but to try find a mix with fewer sunflower seeds.

My confusion is how some other people say "seeds are bad for birds so I feed my birds pellets instead".
Well pellets are made from seeds so that makes no sense. Interestingly the literature you posted doesn't say that, it's arguing against an all seed diet as you pointed out, and I'm ok with that.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's true that it can get quite complicated and frustrating when your looking for information.But what I meant was seed blends that are unhealthy for your birds.Things like Kaytee and similar brands.They are made of low quality, high sugar and fat seeds that your bird would not be constantly consuming in the wild.And to be clear, not all pellets are healthy.You have to research the ingredient list and make sure they are healthy all natural and nutritious ingredients for your bird.You wouldn't raise you child on fast food because its cheap and easy would you? So why should you do the same for your bird.A point that should also be made is that in nature birds are flying and foraging for their food and they are naturally healthy.No matter how much time they spent out of their cage, it will never compare to endless sky.Birds in the wild have continues exercise helping them burn fat aswell. In captivity birds will never have that amount of exercise so its up to us to provide them healthy foods.And what I believe is that if you cant afford to make the effort and get out of your way to feed your bird what it needs to shouldn't own a bird.Because diet is gonna be the least of your problems.
I live in Australia, we dont have your brands of food.

The whole theory rests on the unfounded assumption that our birds eat as much as wild birds which makes it a poor theory. Iv seen wild cockatoos forage for hours at a spot, my birds dont eat that much.

See all your doing is replacing real seed for processed seed.
I'll stick to my vets advice, the local bird shops advice and my experience. Seed based diet with some pellets and veg, ive seen it work for over 30 years thats why this claim that seeds are bad for birds just makes me shake my head.

A carnivore eats mainly carne/meat
A herbivore eats mainly herbs/plants
A granivore eats mainly grain/seed

Withholding seed from a seed eating bird is like withholding meat from a carnivore or withholding grass from a herbivore, it's unnatural and cruel.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Sorry I misread the part about Australia.

The thing about that theory is that it assumes that our pet birds eat as much as wild birds do, consuming more energy than they're burning. If that was the case then we would see fat budgies and tiels, that has not been my experience over the years.

Im not advocating for an ALL seed diet.
My vet said to give my tiel a seed BASED diet with fruit and veg and pellets but to try find a mix with fewer sunflower seeds.

My confusion is how some other people say "seeds are bad for birds so I feed my birds pellets instead".
Well pellets are made from seeds so that makes no sense. Interestingly the literature you posted doesn't say that, it's arguing against an all seed diet as you pointed out, and I'm ok with that.
So your vet even says to give pellets as well as vegetables and seeds? Your vet said to give your cockatiel a seed based diet with fruit and vegetables and pellets?

I don't understand why you're constantly posting about people not giving their birds lots of seeds then? If you say that pellets are basically seeds anyway then why are you getting annoyed at people? Even your vet said to give pellets alongside seeds. Why would it matter that people are feeding pellets if pellets are just seeds anyway?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think I pay about 15$ for a pound of Harrison's pellets it doesn't seem terribly absurd but maybe that's just cuz I've been paying it for so long and even the one-pound bags seem to last forever. But cute burbbbb waaaay to cute.
I agree about Harrison's pellets not being as expensive as they seem. If you only have two small birds (a budgie and a cockatiel) a one pound bag of Harrison's pellets will last months especially if you also feed them a seed mix. Since pellets have no shells, there is no waste.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sheā€™s going onto pellets, I think I mentioned that in my post? Maybe I didnā€™tā€¦

Iā€™ve been doing research for I think 6 or so years? And Iā€™ve got an avian vet book, which does cover diet.

As of right now, veggies are ridiculously expensive again, as they are out of season, so looking for good Pellets and seed blends, and providing safe veggies when we have them is the best I can do for them.

I do appreciate the advice and the time you took to reply though!!
I totally understand why fresh veggies are very expensive in Alaska most of the year. Are frozen veggies (broccoli florets) also too expensive? I pay less than $2 for a small bag of frozen broccoli here in Maine.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I agree about Harrison's pellets not being as expensive as they seem. If you only have two small birds (a budgie and a cockatiel) a one pound bag of Harrison's pellets will last months especially if you also feed them a seed mix. Since pellets have no shells, there is no waste.
Rico burned through one bag in under three weeks, not to mention the shipping can get annoying at times.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I totally understand why fresh veggies are very expensive in Alaska most of the year. Are frozen veggies (broccoli florets) also too expensive? I pay less than $2 for a small bag of frozen broccoli here in Maine.
I think it depends on where you get them. My parents refuse to shop at target or Walmart (for political reasons, I think, which is kinda silly), so they go to three bears or fred meyer, which are pricier than target and target. I think itā€™s around 5$ a bag at freddies? Not too sure though.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think it depends on where you get them. My parents refuse to shop at target or Walmart (for political reasons, I think, which is kinda silly), so they go to three bears or fred meyer, which are pricier than target and target. I think itā€™s around 5$ a bag at freddies? Not too sure though.
Walmart is probably much cheaper. We like to save $ more than making political statements.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Walmart is probably much cheaper. We like to save $ more than making political statements.
Definitely isā€¦ my grandma shops there and sheā€™s absolutely enjoying it. She can load up her freezer, her fridge, cabinets, etc. and only has to go every few months!

My parents are stubborn though, so I donā€™t think theyā€™d caveā€¦ I find it to be really goofy, though. Like, cmonā€¦ we pay 200$ for like, enough groceries for maybe a week, and theyā€™re worried aboutā€¦. Politics??? Not how we are blowing so much cash on such small things? We wouldnā€™t be paying 7$ for a can of off brand ez cheese at Walmart lol

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Yeah true

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yeah true
I feel the same way about pellets for parrots (instead of seed) as I do about (manufactured) dog food for dogs- according to the "experts" it's the right thing to feed your parrot (or dog), and because of that I will do it, but I feel sorry for the poor animal that has to eat it, especially as the primary portion of it's diet. It seems so monotonous and unnatural to demand that a parrot eat kibble. But I try to because I want to do what's best for my birds' health.

I don't have a dog but if I did I would find vet approved foods I can cook fresh for my pup instead of feeding commercial dog food. I try to do this for my budgies but Rocky is the only one that will eat anything I give her and she can take or leave millet and other seeds. My other budgies however were raised on a seed diet long before I got them so it's harder with them.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Don't you find nutriberries expensive? I haven't bought them in years but I recall a large tub costing about $20 more than 20 years ago and that was pricey.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Don't you find nutriberries expensive? I haven't bought them in years but I recall a large tub costing about $20 more than 20 years ago and that was pricey.
I just check current prices for nutriberries and they're almost $40 for a tub that cost half that when I used to buy them. Wow. I guess as a treat it wouldn't be that bad.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
A little, but it takes several months to go through a bag. Iā€™m almost done with the two bags I bought back on my birthday, in June!

I have bought a tub and it lasted I think nearly a year? I know it lasted over half a year for sure.

But, Rico considers any seeds a treat- even if he has some in his bowl or toys! He considered them treats, back when he was on a seed diet, a long, long time agoā€¦ so I can use any seeds, really. Seed blends, seed treats, seed anything.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
A little, but it takes several months to go through a bag. Iā€™m almost done with the two bags I bought back on my birthday, in June!

I have bought a tub and it lasted I think nearly a year? I know it lasted over half a year for sure.

But, Rico considers any seeds a treat- even if he has some in his bowl or toys! He considered them treats, back when he was on a seed diet, a long, long time agoā€¦ so I can use any seeds, really. Seed blends, seed treats, seed anything.
A lot of birds love Nutriberries and they do make great treats. Imagine how expensive if they were a big parrot's whole diet!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
My guys love nutriberries! I feed them as a treat every so many days as a small bag is like....$16 around here at Petsmart. It's good to feed them to transitioning birds who are being weaned off a primarily seed diet. My stinkers like to argue over their nutriberries and avi-cakes :D and I know they're getting a decent diet.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I feel the same way about pellets for parrots (instead of seed) as I do about (manufactured) dog food for dogs- according to the "experts" it's the right thing to feed your parrot (or dog), and because of that I will do it, but I feel sorry for the poor animal that has to eat it, especially as the primary portion of it's diet. It seems so monotonous and unnatural to demand that a parrot eat kibble. But I try to because I want to do what's best for my birds' health.

I don't have a dog but if I did I would find vet approved foods I can cook fresh for my pup instead of feeding commercial dog food. I try to do this for my budgies but Rocky is the only one that will eat anything I give her and she can take or leave millet and other seeds. My other budgies however were raised on a seed diet long before I got them so it's harder with them.
If it makes you feel any better, my parrots love their pellets and I've seen them choose their pellets over seeds before as well so they clearly like them. My conures will also do tricks for their pellets (even when the bowl is right there for them to eat from they'll come to me so I can hand feed them and will start doing tricks in front of me despite being able to get the food without any input from me). Yesterday I was handfeeding my four bigger birds (cockatiels and conures) pellets from their breakfast bowl because that's what they wanted. I had two on my hand, one on my head and one perched on a swing just above me. They could all have gone to the bowl and got the mix of chop and pellets themselves, but they didn't. In the end one of the conures decided she wanted peas instead of pellets and went to get them herself, but she was happy to sit on me and give kisses in exchange for pellets. This morning they all went to the bowl and got their own food.

My budgies go mad for their mash, which is basically powdered pellets and they get that almost everyday and don't ever seem to get bored of it also. All I have to do is put it in their cage and they'll fly in to eat it

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
A lot of birds love Nutriberries and they do make great treats. Imagine how expensive if they were a big parrot's whole diet!
Iā€™ve seen a handful of people who feed nutriberry diets. No clue how they can afford that.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My guys love nutriberries! I feed them as a treat every so many days as a small bag is like....$16 around here at Petsmart. It's good to feed them to transitioning birds who are being weaned off a primarily seed diet. My stinkers like to argue over their nutriberries and avi-cakes :D and I know they're getting a decent diet.
I donā€™t know what bird DOESNT love nutriberries! Itā€™s like crack to them! They go absolutely nuts for them!

I am using them to get cricket more comfortable with my hands, and with Rico demonstrating that itā€™s safe to take treats from my hands, itā€™s accelerating the process! She has seeds she can eat, but it seems nutriberries are much better to her. Sheā€™s absolutely addicted! Just like rico is, and how Ice and Tea were.

Just goes to show itā€™s like crack to our beloved parrots.

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
If it makes you feel any better, my parrots love their pellets and I've seen them choose their pellets over seeds before as well so they clearly like them. My conures will also do tricks for their pellets (even when the bowl is right there for them to eat from they'll come to me so I can hand feed them and will start doing tricks in front of me despite being able to get the food without any input from me). Yesterday I was handfeeding my four bigger birds (cockatiels and conures) pellets from their breakfast bowl because that's what they wanted. I had two on my hand, one on my head and one perched on a swing just above me. They could all have gone to the bowl and got the mix of chop and pellets themselves, but they didn't. In the end one of the conures decided she wanted peas instead of pellets and went to get them herself, but she was happy to sit on me and give kisses in exchange for pellets. This morning they all went to the bowl and got their own food.

My budgies go mad for their mash, which is basically powdered pellets and they get that almost everyday and don't ever seem to get bored of it also. All I have to do is put it in their cage and they'll fly in to eat it
My parakeet, Birdie Bird, was 2 when I got him 3.5 months ago. He was what I call 'semi tame', which to me means he wouldn't interact but wouldn't 'run' when I put food in his cage. He ignored everything but seed.

The first 2 months he had a pair of parakeets across from him to watch. I got Byrdie to step up on command inside the cage. A week later he was allowed out of the cage, and all he did was use my hand as a launching pad to fly over to 'their' cage.

Once the wild pair was rehomed, he was nervous the first week. I understood; after all, he saw me throw a cloth over them and put them in a cardboard box, never to be seen again. It ate them, as far as he knew.šŸ«¤

A week later he began interacting with me when I'd sit by his cage and eat fresh fruits/ veggies with my dog. The first time, all he did was watch. So, the dog and I ate everything.

He figured out if he didn't join us, we'd eat it all! šŸ˜‹ šŸ˜‚He wanted his share so the next day, Byrdie joined us.

Now he will eat anything the dog and I are eating. But here's the odd part: he'll perch on, or get into his dish as long as I'm holding it. But he refuses to eat from the exact same dish a second later if I sit it in or on his cages!

He will eat seed by himself, but everything else has to be a party of three. šŸ˜‚ I don't mind, but I find it strange.

Your birds are acting similar by showing a preference to eating with you. I think Byrdie Bird would starve if I didn't 'hand feed' him and the dog together.

After reading about Nutriberries, I ordered some yesterday. I'll see if Byrdie Bird will eat them. The dog and I will have to eat something else. šŸ¤«

I also ordered the superfine Harrison pellets. He came here from a seed only home. But we've been successful so far on egg, fruits and veggies, so the hope is there.

When you make your 'mash' from pellets, do you add water or ???

Most Reactions

Latest posts