4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I just noticed yesterday that both my bird beaks look almost layered. I need ideas to help heal. I looked it up online and they need more vitamin D but the only vitamin D they will eat is pistashios but salted so it's still bad for them.

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.
I just noticed yesterday that both my bird beaks look almost layered. I need ideas to help heal. I looked it up online and they need more vitamin D but the only vitamin D they will eat is pistashios but salted so it's still bad for them.
Check liquid vitamins. Mine has D. I also have a uv light that makes D. Sunlight if you are able to take it outside works, too. Good luck!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Where did you find that pistachios have vitamin D? The last I checked the only place you can get vitamin D from naturally is the sun or animal products? Are your budgies eating pellets, because if they're a complete pellet then it will contain vitamin D. If not then you can let them get some sunshine outside (it doesn't work through a window), or through added vitamins.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
From what I understand flaky looking beaks are pretty normal in parrots, but I defer to the opinion of an avian vet. Have you had them looked at?

OP
4 way borbs

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Where did you find that pistachios have vitamin D? The last I checked the only place you can get vitamin D from naturally is the sun or animal products? Are your budgies eating pellets, because if they're a complete pellet then it will contain vitamin D. If not then you can let them get some sunshine outside (it doesn't work through a window), or through added vitamins.
google saays
Pistachios are a variety of vitamin d dry fruits with a thin edible cover with a sweet earthy taste.

Last edited:
OP
4 way borbs

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
From what I understand flaky looking beaks are pretty normal in parrots, but I defer to the opinion of an avian vet. Have you had them looked at?
no avian vets around des moines area

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
no avian vets around des moines area
That is simply not the case! I'm not saying this needs a vet visit, flaky beaks are pretty normal. You need to know where your nearest avian vet is for emergencies though.

There might be a closer one. Do some more searching.

Also, don't ever feed salted nuts or seeds of any type to your birds.

markymark63

Oct 12, 2023
Parrots
kakarikis

i give my birds this my birds looks good on it

Attachments

• BIRDS VITIMINS.jpg
    BIRDS VITIMINS.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
4 way borbs

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
That is simply not the case! I'm not saying this needs a vet visit, flaky beaks are pretty normal. You need to know where your nearest avian vet is for emergencies though.

There might be a closer one. Do some more searching.

Also, don't ever feed salted nuts or seeds of any type to your birds.
thanks alot

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I would go with feeding pellets or a parrot safe supplement, but as a few people have said, flaky beaks are fairly normal in parrots so I don't think you need to worry

Most Reactions