Gosh, I've had no luck with conures

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
Hamish (RIP) ~ Pineapple GCC
So, as I mentioned previously I just got a Sunday conure named Tango and was anxious to bond with him ~ So anxious in fact that I was petrified he was going to bond with my fiance only two days after we got him and quickly began the research on how to try and prevent that happening! xD

Well, one week on and Tango is on his first vet stay. This morning he started urinating blood (Last night he was fine) and I naturally panicked and packed him off to the vet. The vet thinks it's something he ingested. Yesterday was the first time I'd left him for the day (I had to go back to work after having a week off) I am positively wracking my brain for what he might have come into contact with and the only thing I can think of is this cheap bracelet that I have, which I took to the vet with me after researching what could cause his symptoms.

Anyway, that was at 11am, and now it's 7.10pm and the vet just called to say that he's still critical but we can call at 9am tomorrow after they've evaluated him overnight. It's only been a week but these little guys are the types to worm their way into your heart.

Please keep him in your prayers, every little bit will help. <3:orange:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Oh my goodness Rora, that's awful - I'm so sorry to hear that. Well you did good by getting him to the vet quickly, and he's where he needs to be. I certainly will keep you and Tango in my thoughts and would appreciate it if you would give us an update when you hear something. Try to relax, at this point it's a waiting game.

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
Yes, I'll definitely keep you updated.

I'm so worried, he's such a wonderful personality. The vet that we've taken him to is fantastic. Two hourly updates and they know so much about birds which is hard to find ~ in Australia at least.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
Well it's wonderful you have such trust in your vet, that a HUGE bonus.

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
They are the only Avian vet in our area and "Dr Jasmine" know's a lot about conures. The vet came highly recommended by the local pet shop ~ I know that a lot of people here have bad things to say about pet shops, but this one isn't a franchise. The man that owns it is a very passionate bird owner who has a "flock" of his own ~ including an african grey. We often go there for our other flock members and he hasn't steered us wrong yet.

We went to Doctor Jazz with our Green cheek and soon changed over to the practice for the furry contingent of our family. We're blessed to have them, and no matter what happens with Tango at least we know they've done their best.

Not many people can say that, and for that we are truly blessed.

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Where abouts in Australia are you Rora? I'm really sorry to hear about Tango. Praying everything goes well and you get good news in the morning!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Oh Rora, that is just terrible....unfortunatley I can relate:rolleyes:

it's all you think about when your fid is ill

hang in there- hopefully it has not progressed too far, and he will be back in your arms in no time.

we've started a new Hazardous toy section. If you do find out it was, please post it under that section...we are currently making lists of toys or anything that are dangerous for birds.

I will keep you and your bird in my prayers for a healthy recovery!!!!!
I'll be watching this thread closely
HUGS!

Beth

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Praying for Tango and you as well. Thank goodness you were able to get him to the vet so quickly and hopefully that will make the difference. I am so sorry this is happening to you two:(

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
Thanks guys, yeah we just heard from the vet, he's looking much better this morning which is an ENORMOUS relief, they are going to be able to go ahead with the x-rays this afternoon to see what's going on.

I've been eyeing his toys since yesterday. I think it was my bracelet (going in the bin!) or this clothes hoist that we have - also bin. But if it comes back any different I'll name and shame the brand xD

I'm in Newcastle. :D

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
oh that's great news!!!!!!
now you can have a sigh of relief....

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
Oh Rora that is just good news - I always feel in a situation like this if they make it through the night that their chances increase greatly. You're about as far away from me as a person can be and yet somehow I feel a part of what is happening with you and your bird - isn't that funny.

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
Yeah, right? xD I think it's because we all can relate to a treasured pet (not just the feathered ones) falling ill. <3

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So thrilled to hear that he is doing better! Hopefully you are able to determine exactly what caused it:)

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
So glad to hear he's doing well this morning!!! I thought you must have been in Newcastle when you mentioned Jasmin! LOL That's who saw my Ollie the other week when he partly ripped his toenail off! She IS awesome. They all are at Sugarloaf though! :)

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
I know, right? We had a vet in Belmont but they rotate and it's no guarantee that you'll get one that you're comfortable with. They are FINE with dogs and cats but didn't even bother to tell us until it was too late with our GCC that they didn't know anything about birds. 3:< Still mad about this.

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
Okay, so the news is that they found a bit of metal in his stomach that leaked its way down - so it could be the hoist or my bracelet. He's going to be FINE <3 Being discharged tomorrow and I'll have to administer him with injections for the next five days after that.

So relieved, thanks for everything you guys. <3

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by 'leaked it's way down'? How is the metal being removed? But you do say he's going to be fine, and that is really the important thing, so I'm very happy for you and I'm very happy for Tango. As they say, all's well that ends well.

OP
Rora

Rora

Dec 7, 2013
Parrots
Tango ~ Sunday conure
Skitch ~ Grass parrot
Lorry ~ Grass parrot
I'm not entirely sure, the conversation was being relayed through my fiance. I get to pick Tango up in the morning, though, so I'll be able to find out more then.

I looked it up, or researched a little. It sounds like metal poisoning of some sort. Spent the last two days throwing out anything that looks remotely suspicious.

Most Reactions

Latest posts