Got A New Meyers, Things Not Well NEED HELP

SilverWings

Aug 11, 2012
Parrots
Jenday conure, Jake;
Meyers Parrot (unamed)
Im not entirely sure where this thread should of been put, but I thought it was appropriate

okay, I need some help from some Poicephalus experts..
I got a meyers parrot a few weeks ago. The place I got him/her from specializes in hand raising the birds as they grow, so I ordered a meyers from them & they received it a little over a month old and while the lady there hand raised the bird I visited on a regular basis (about once to twice a week). But when the bird matured about a week before it was old enough to come home, it started t get nippy, behavior I expected from a young bird (currently 4 months). But little by little s/he started biting harder and harder, as I learned from owning birds not to react to the biting as it makes them want to bite more. Now I have this bird home with me for a few weeks and this bird just wants nothing to do with me, constantly lunges at me and when s/he bites, he bites HARD.
I kind of suspect its a female, only because my co-worker (he bought a Ruppel's Parrot around the same time I got my meyers) often would handle my bird in the store and he always said it was fine with him. Even the day I brought the bird home, when the lady who raised him went in the cage to grab s/him it look like s/he was going to bite her. And a week after I brought him home, my conure, Jake (DNA sexed male) found his way to her cage to the cage and the two hit it off really well, though I didnt like this I wanted them to be separated longer. Im just coming to the conclusion it doesnt like females.
I need help, I want to bond with this bird and nothing I do seems to help.. any suggestions??:orange:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)
I am not familiar with Meyers, but I am sure someone will come along shortly, that is able to give you some good advice!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to our forum

I am not familiar with Meyers parrots, as Wenz1712 mentioned, many members will assist you.
I know they are extremely playful and will keep you entertained for hours on end

I have attached a link, some great info available

Meyer's Parrot, Poicephalus meyeri, Information and Bird Care

g0511.gif

Total_Dejavu

Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jules - Yellow Sided GCC, Buju - My sweet lil Meyer's, Micah - Sun Concure :o)
That's really odd as it's not in their nature to be that way. I would go with friedsoup's advice as well.

Mine is male (I'm female) and although mine seems to prefer men, he has never attempted to bite me. Now I can say that Buju is very jumpy and startles easy, but that could be because he was abused before he came to live with me. If I startle him, come up from behind, he does turn quickly with mouth open, but once he sees it's only me he calms down. He wants nothing to do with my dogs or other birds and I believe he would attack my Conure if given the chance.

This might be a crazy question, but do you wear artificial nails? I ask because when I had my nails done before vacation, he was not happy at all! I also have a friend with a rescued bird who was previously owned by someone who wore red polish. Her bird will bite if she attempts to wear red polish, but is fine otherwise. They're funny that way.

I think with the training mentioned and some patience, he'll come around. They really are very sweet and so lovable. Hope it works out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts