Got some NEWS and questions... and updates and ya...

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Alright so this is sort of a long post so you might want to get a snack.. maybe even a cup of coffee....:D

Ok firstly i would like to let you all know that i am taking in 2 budgies. They are about 1year old... theres a female and male. They are not finger trained yet(i'm hope fully going to try and teach them that) one is a normal blue(female), the other is yellow(male). Ill post pictures When they come.

Ok now the updates.

In september im gettinga blue crowned conure as well as a senegal (not sure whne exactly shes breeding sennies next but around there), so i will definitaly have my hand full then. Right now im debating which cages to get. Im thinking gettinga stackingc age since i *may* move up to my sisters old bed room and its a little smaller than my current room.

I was thinking of getting 2 of these cages(yes i know there stacking)
http://www.americas-pet-store.com/details/prodid/965.html

The only thing is i dont know if they'd suite a senegal or blue crowned.
anyway heres my plans with those cages.

putting the blue crowned in one of units and the sennie in the other unit.So thats the first cage. The second cage i was planning on putting a my 2 tiels in one of the units, a then the last unit i was planning on getting a either a linnie or parrotlet(ill get back to that in a sec). Now then i would have my tiels old cage which is the same size as one of the units and that will be used for quarrintines and stuff, and if i just so happen to get another bird, or i may even move the budgies im getting in to the cage.

Ok now back to the Linnie/Parrotlet question.

I know Peta has a linnie.. or atleast im pretty sure she does. My question about them is, are they more of an aviary bird or what? I know tehre like double the price of a parrotlet but price doesn't really matter to me if they have a good personality and such. Also does anyone have expersiance with parrotlets? my freind use to have one and it was erally sweet and cute but i dont know im still debating on which to get.

Ok so then after that i would have, 2 budgies, 2 tiels, a blue crowned conure, a sennie and either a linnie or a parrotlet. and thats probably gunna be it for the birds till i move out. I may get a few more bdugies in the future.. i dont know ill wait till the future to decide that.

Ok so is tehre any input or suggestions, tips whatever you want to say? lol oh and if anyone want to to help me out with thsoe question aha please do so. :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Wow actually it sounds like you have everything under control considering the sizes of the birds I don't think that is too much if you're really dedicated. The cages looked great just take the blue crown and senegal out often - I find it actually works better to have the cages in my room because since it is MY room I keep them alot cleaner and notice dirty water bowls quicker and such plus any time I am in there even for just a little bit the birds are out. Of course I'm getting to where Daisy is out pretty much all the time because her cage is under the play top on my shelf unit and she knows how to craw between them and she us really calm and not very flightly. So just know it takes ALOT of work I mean I have three and it seems like I'm always doing something bird related LOL. Here's a tip keep a dust buster plugged in your room at all time this makes it easy to get little messes before they build up the vacuum at least once a week so the dust doesn't build up too much. Congrats - It sounds wonderful I wish I were in your shoes LOL but we live in a tiny house and all birds and cages must be kept in my room or outside :) I can't wait to have my own place where I want to add a senegal and quaker I think I am going to wait on a larger bird like a macaw for a long time when I know where I am going to be for awhile possibly when I settle down and open my parrot shop :) then I would have lots of time and space and noise wouldn't be an issue I am afraid it would be too cruel to leave a large macaw home all day with the little birds they have each other and I can come hom and scratch on them for an hour or so and they are happy. So there is my very long post to match yours :) and I hope this makes a little since I kinda rambled all the great things happening too you makes me start dreaming again LOL Oh and BTW I know you live in Canada where things are outragiously expensive just so you know I know a great place an hour away from here where you can get a blue crown for 175 :) I love that lady

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
The cages look wonderful, I'm not sure I'd put a sennie in one though, not sure about the BCC, maybe Tex would have a better idea on that one.

Linnies, well they are beautiful, BUT I wouldn't get just one, I'd have two, they don't mix with the others even though they are in the same flight cage, they get on with everyone but at a distance. They are loving little guys with a real big personality. My experience with Parrotlets, well great little birds, but come the mating season, whether they are with another Parrotlet or not they turn into the devil. :16: Yes they can be sweet loving natured but you would have to be prepared for that time of year. Again Parrotlets are small birds with a great big personality (and ego sometimes to match) With Linnies or Parrotlets I'd make sure you got one that was at least handtame, so much easier on the fingers they both have a good bite on them for being such tiny birds. :D Saying that though I've only ever been bitten once with the Linnies but boy did it hurt. Linnies do well in an aviary or home situation and they have such a sweet sound to them are never loud in fact I think they are probably the quietest birds we have (as well as the bourkes)

Good Luck with your new arrivals, when do they arrive. You seem pretty well organised here so I'm sure your gonna get them handtame in no time. Don't forget we are here for you whenever, especially when you want to show of some pics. :D

If you have anymore questions about the Linnies then let me know and I'll do my best to answer them all.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I am personally not a fan of stacking cages; but, there is nothing wrong with those that we see here ... I think that the bar spacing is perfect for the little one and would work just fine for what you are trying to do.

Did you consider looking on eBay? I got a heck of a deal on Hamlet's cage. 24 W X 26 D X 54H (that's all in inches folks) brand new for $75 (+$60 shipping). I am sure that you could get two really nice cages for about the cost of the sacking ones that you have here ...
it's just something to think about ..

~ :50:

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I am personally not a fan of stacking cages

The idea of stacking cages kind of confuses me...wouldn't there be a height dominance issue between the birds? Or would some birds have personal "issues" because they are so low? I'm not knocking your idea, Meghan, I've just never really understood stacking cages. If it works for you, go for it. Plus I'm sure that a positive is that they save on space!

But seriously, kudos to you for being so organized and taking on so much. As long as you have a plan, everything else just kind of falls into place.

Tex-
Do you remember the name of the online seller? I first Saw Sisqo's cage on ebay, and then I went to the website of the place that was actually selling it. It was called Demsond Pet Depot I believe. In fact, I was so shocked that the price was so low, that I was convinced there was lead or something in it (especially when Sisqo got sick). So I sent a little piece out to get tested, and it's negative...so yeah...:smile049: I mean...it's no King Cage...but it's going to last.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
With my sleving unit I will post a pic later I only use the top cage now that misty is outside I always gave lots of attention to the bottom bird first and let him out of his cage first.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I wouldn't personally use stacking cages, especially for a Senegal or a conure. Firstly I don't like how the bottom one is so low, if you have a cat she can stick her paw right inside the cage and possibly injure a bird. Especially Senegals, they have no fear and will bite the cat which of course will make the cat angry.
Secondly I don't like how the lower cage has the pull out tray above it, I find that makes cages darker.

I agree with everyone though, great that you are planning ahead. I've seen some cheap cages on ebay canada as well, but I did find that Petcetera has the cheapest cages, well at least in Alberta.

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Yea about the stacking cages i was debating on that as well for the lower part.

My cat is mostly an outdoor cat so i dont have to worrey about that. PLus ever since she knocked over my budgies cage(the bird was fine just spooked dont worrey lol) when i had them a few years back ive been extra careful to keep my bedroom door shut at all times.

I have looked on ebay canada but its like weird because on the buyers website thing it says only ships to contental 48 states blablabla and stuff.. but yet its on ebay canada! and yet on the add thing it says ship to usa and canada so im all confused with that.
Ive looked at petcetera cages but i dunno, i find petcetera to be really cheap and way over priced on all there stuff. Once i went i to bosleys and they had bird treat tehre for like 3$ and i went to petcetera and they had the exact same one for 8$.

Im getting the budgies wednesday(tomorrow) right after school, so i defnintatly will post pics.

... i have to go now... im at school now im not even supposed to be on the computer im supposed to be in the bathroom but instead went to the computer room lol.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
...wouldn't there be a height dominance issue between the birds?

I mean, really, is height dominance a real thing? If you do an adequate job of asserting yourself as flock leader then there shouldn't be any dominance issues.

Tex-
Do you remember the name of the online seller? I first Saw Sisqo's cage on ebay, and then I went to the website of the place that was actually selling it. It was called Demsond Pet Depot I believe. In fact, I was so shocked that the price was so low, that I was convinced there was lead or something in it (especially when Sisqo got sick). So I sent a little piece out to get tested, and it's negative...so yeah...:smile049: I mean...it's no King Cage...but it's going to last.

Nicole, I am sorry but I don't ... but I can tell you that via the broken english that was written in the e-mails I figured that this person was just a "middle-man" type out of New York somewhere ... it was all legit, and everything worked out well .... the only reason I bought from this person was because he/she had A LOT of feed back over the last 30 days and there wasn't one REASONABLE complaint.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I mean, really, is height dominance a real thing? If you do an adequate job of asserting yourself as flock leader then there shouldn't be any dominance issues.

Oh believe me there is from the smallest to the largest. There is also cage dominance :eek: and no matter what I do bucc is still very cage dominant, he used to be height dominant until I found a way of no matter where he went in the house I could and would be higher than him. He's always gonna be cage dominant but as long as we appreciate this there are ways of working with it. (IMO):D

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
ok well the people never showed up where we were supposed to meet. so im just going to forget about them, they can find someone else to home tehre budgies. My mom didn't really want to take them anyway because she prefers a young tame one.... and so do i sort of.

This weekend im still getting a budgie or two though, probably 2 ill definitatly post pics.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Ohhhhh doesn't that make you angry, especially when you've made the effort to turn up. :mad: I'm sorry that part of your plan didn't come together, but I'm sure you'll pick a couple of beauties. Look forward to seeing lots of pics.

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Ya, it really sort of made me mad i was waiting there for like 20 minutes(not that long but still) and plus they seemed pretty urgent to get rid of the bird, i doubt they cared what kinda home they went to either since they were so urgent.
Anyways ill be getting 2 budgies probably either saturday or sunday, atleast this place has tame budgies that garantee the health.

Oh and and update of the future. Ive decided to wait on the blue crowned conure, and get it after i havr the senegal since i think it would be too much to get 2 demanding birds at the same time. So now my plans are, senegal-September, and either parrotlet or linnie maybe december(maybe as a B-day or Xmas prezzie if im lucky) or sometime, and blue crowned conure probably the following year. Oh and of course 2 budgies this weekend.

Im going to call the petstore(i trust this petstore lol) where im getting my budgies right after i submit this, im also hoping to get a larger cage than what i already have.Since the one i have now from my past budgies is i think: 19Lx11Wx19H i think.. lol im just geussing its a hagen cage, anyway its too small for 2 budgies so ya i mean i geuss its alright as a temporary cage but not but i would like to just get them into a new cage so they dont have to go through the stress of moving cages.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That sounds like a good idea, it also give you something great to look forward to and plan for. Don't forget pics of your budgies when you get them. :D

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Well i went to the pet store today and...... i was going to get two but i wanted a young semi or tame one and there was one budgie left and it was in with 2 tiels and the tiels looked.. well they didn't look so good.. they ahd like a bald patch on tehre neck it was weird. But i saw the cutest pinapple conure ever!!!

Anyways ived decided im just going to wait and get a few from a breeder. Hopefully the same breeder that i got my first one from which was like 7 years ago lol... she also breeds goffin toos and.. i think finches aswell.. or some other bir di cant remember but i know she breeds goffins, budgies and some other kind of bird. I always see her adds on the buy and sell hopefully i see one again soon :D or i find her number lol.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Its always better to wait a while and get what you really want than rush ahead. I waited for over a year to find Kito, but I'm glad I did. You'll find the right birds eventually and you'll know they were meant to be yours. :D

Most Reactions