Gracie bath time - video's

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Gracie - CAG | Rookie - BRHP
The fun ...
We had shower time so she was already wet but apparently Gracie decided I didn't do a good job getting her tootsies & head so she took a bath immediately afterwards... enjoy :)

She cracks me up with her routine .. one foot, then the other then a head splash... climb, hang upside down, flap.
When she says "cmere" in these videos she's actually saying it to the water/bowl lol not me .. she does that to her toys & food sometimes too.
[ame="https://youtu.be/kGyWwIdF_Jo"]https://youtu.be/kGyWwIdF_Jo[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/ljS09ICBFfc"]https://youtu.be/ljS09ICBFfc[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/QM-esGZHn7I"]https://youtu.be/QM-esGZHn7I[/ame]

The not fun ...
Ya might of noticed in the videos some of the damaged feathers - some she came with and some she's done while with me. She's wet so it's easier to see in these pics - dry you can't tell the extent. She did come 2 me with 3 flight feathers clipped per side. She has plucked 2 out on her right & 1 on her left.

Left side - she doesn't barber this side hardly at all - a few times I've caught her snipping the ends.
graciesmom-albums-gracie-picture16623-soggy-parrot.jpg

Right side - Here you can see the missing feathers, barbered ("V" shapes where she's snipped them off) also the tail feathers she's damaged.
graciesmom-albums-gracie-picture16621-barbered-tail-flight-feathers.jpg

Here you can see the barbered (again notice the "v" shapes)/missing tail & flight feathers from her right side, she's also overpreens the tail area & snips little pieces off. She does have new tail feathers coming in you just can't see them since her wing feathers block them.
graciesmom-albums-gracie-picture16622-barbered-tail.jpg

The fireworks in our area we're so bad all weekend long. Some of the ones in the pics above were definitely from this weekend &- I found new damage this morning - it really shows how much a toll it took on her.

It literally breaks my heart when I catch her snipping or yanking a feather, can't show it or respond but it really makes me question myself.

Well that was too sad ... can't end the post on that note.

This is our son - he can't handle Gracie she's tears into him (working on it very very very very slowly). But he loves interacting with her & accepts that.. he taught her to beatbox with him, they sing, laugh, make up whistles.
He said she does it a lot more without him doing it too when I'm not right there recording lol

I will say this is different then her dance which is straight up & down - he actually did teach her a different "wave" motion

This is a video of Gracie doing "The Wave" that he taught her
[ame="https://youtu.be/pmnaQxSTJo4"]https://youtu.be/pmnaQxSTJo4[/ame]

This is another - he wanted to show me it wasn't a fluke lol that she really does it with him.
[ame="https://youtu.be/taR1WVkDW7k"]https://youtu.be/taR1WVkDW7k[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
I just uploaded a few more video's for the kids of Gracie so I thought I'd share :)

Watch / listen @ your own risk lol Lunch time @ the office everyday is us being really loud. I apologize for my singing in advance lol

Gracie loves to sing along with me.. sadly I can't even pretend to carry a tune but she doesn't mind :) She prefers to make it her own & use her own style of remixing. She really had to be coaxed into singing & vocalizing when I first got her so she gets the most excited when I sing/talk and encourage her
There's a few different videos complied into these. She sings, talks, makes sounds, dances etc.
[ame="https://youtu.be/x3JtoMpJH7U"]Gracie's Karaoke time[/ame]
Some songs Gracie simply has no little to no interest in. Plain & simple she doesn't like all genre's or songs.
Here's a few that she wouldn't sing along with. She does answer me but a big NO on participating. As soon as I changed the song she piped right up.
[ame="https://youtu.be/BJI7hRGUuwc"]Song's Gracie has veto'd - YouTube[/ame]

Most of you know Gracie comes to work with me everyday ... well she has free reign & sometimes (especially today -think she's still upset about the noise this weekend) when I go to the warehouse or another office she'll fly down & come try to find me. Her telltale "Cmere" as she strolls around is a dead giveaway she's looking for me. It always cracks me up when she climbs up my pants to get to me.
I own few clothes that aren't adorned by Gracie's "holey beak work" lol

Gracie coming to find me
[ame="https://youtu.be/oZUFBO5v1D4"]Climbing Mount Mama[/ame]

Following me to the bosses office
[ame="https://youtu.be/gMnfEKfOb_E"]Going for a stroll[/ame]

Lots of vids the past few days... we shall give you guys a break :)

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a great selection of videos and commentary! Thank you! Especially loved Gracie bathing. Water brings so much joy to some while others are so afraid!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am loving all the Gracie videos, please keep them coming!
I so wish Justice enjoyed his bath like Gracie does...he is getting much better about it, and will go over to his crock and get wet when I am misting him, but not with the abandon that Gracie has. I love that so much!

There is nothing wrong with your voice at all, and I loved your playlist! Justice likes all different kinds of music as well, especially when I sing to him, but trust me...you do not want to be tortured with my voice..lol

The wave she does is really awesome! How long did it take your son to teach her that?

I love how you can take her to work, and how precious that she comes looking for you.

Kelly, please do not question yourself about her barbering...it is obvious how well loved and taken care of that Gracie is, and sadly these things can just be out of our control. I know it's hard to not question yourself, I think all of us with pluckers/overpreeners do. But all I can say is that Gracie is one lucky girl to have you in her corner.

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
What a great selection of videos and commentary! Thank you! Especially loved Gracie bathing. Water brings so much joy to some while others are so afraid!
Aww thanks Scott. The bathing vids are so precious to me thats a huge milestone for her. She was disciplined/punished with water in her previous home(s) to such an extent that when I got her she was terrified of water bowls would not drink out of them.. (still doesn't..yet) spray bottles/misters omg forget about it. I still have nightmares from the first time I ignorantly thought to approach her with a spray bottle, not knowing the scars she had the sound she made was indescribable a deep throated growl/scream that grew so quickly in volume I had no clue what was going on. So sad I don't think I've ever seen any living thing so scared. Luckily I recognized before spraying so I backed off quickly and reassured her

For a while I'd just spray myself several times a day and "play" in the water and laugh with her a very safe watchful position. I also took her in the shower and placed her where she could observe me. Did this for a few weeks moving closer to the shower until she was comfy stepping onto the curtain rod. At the end of every shower I'd invite her 1 time to step up when she didn't I'd turn the water off and start singing to her. I always made my time in the shower loud, fun and playful lots of laughing.

One day she stepped up so I brought her in to the far end and just played outta the mist until eventually she ventured under the water. All in all took about a month. She'll take showers with me daily but this is only the 3rd time she's entered her water bowl and bathed like that. First 2 weren't nearly exuberant

She has taken 2 drinks from the bowl all by herself since then so I'm hoping we are almost at the end of the phobia. she will drink from a bowl if my hand is cupping the water or if she is holding onto my finger. From the faucet throughout the day. It's a pain but until she works it out whatcha gonna do

I love Gracie! She's just fantastic, thank you for sharing. :)

Thanks that's so sweet to say :)

I am loving all the Gracie videos, please keep them coming!
I so wish Justice enjoyed his bath like Gracie does...he is getting much better about it, and will go over to his crock and get wet when I am misting him, but not with the abandon that Gracie has. I love that so much!

There is nothing wrong with your voice at all, and I loved your playlist! Justice likes all different kinds of music as well, especially when I sing to him, but trust me...you do not want to be tortured with my voice..lol

The wave she does is really awesome! How long did it take your son to teach her that?

I love how you can take her to work, and how precious that she comes looking for you.

Kelly, please do not question yourself about her barbering...it is obvious how well loved and taken care of that Gracie is, and sadly these things can just be out of our control. I know it's hard to not question yourself, I think all of us with pluckers/overpreeners do. But all I can say is that Gracie is one lucky girl to have you in her corner.

Don't give up they can certainly surprise you... What they hate/fear today they love tomorrow lol CAGS!

It took him about a week. He's teaching her to beatbox too lol she won't allow him to handle her without seriously biting but he's doing great finding other ways to interact. He has Aspergers Autism so he's really not keen on the biting lol who is eh

Seriously thank you Terry for your words of comfort and support I'm a tough cookie but I honestly burst into tears and freaked hubby out big time lol I just really hate knowing any creature unable to defend itself or escape has endured abuse to the point of hurting themselves. It's hard to accept that she's got some scars that may be too deep for me to help heal. The fact that she even trusts me like she does is really humbling.

Thanks again all!

Gracie dropped her walnut today and was convinced it fell into the slot in the bin her perch is on. I gave it back she promptly tossed it away and resumed her search for the original walnut lol she's not one to use finese so she tries to bang her way in. Peaking over the side just cracks me up

[ame="https://youtu.be/SKDZ7lOBB5k"]Hunt for the lost treat[/ame]

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Kelly, I loved getting to know Gracie better through your video journal. She's such a sweetheart, thank you for sharing the journey. Great videos, I loved watching her play in the water dishes, and telling the bowl to c'mere, too funny. I can imagine your joy when Gracie started to conquer her fear of water. Love the song and dance videos, Gracie has mastered the wave with a little help from her friend.

Gracie looks amazing, she has a beautiful set up and a full, happy, enriched life. It's so nice that she can go to work with you. I am a long time feather counter and inspector, I know how painful that is, but honestly, from my point of view, Gracie's barbering is minimal. It took me a long time to learn not to panic, give them every possible reason to stop plucking, take it one day at a time and remember some days are fantastic and some not so much but every day is special and tomorrow will be even better.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Gracie was absolutely positive that walnut was down there somewhere!
Justice dropped a nut Reg had just given him, he watched it fall and looked down and said Oh, s*%$. Apparently a leftover word from a previous home.
I so don't want to encourage that, but it was hard not to laugh.

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Thank you Allee :) I really appreciate it & it really helped to look at it from another perspective. I think I get caught up in trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong that she won't stop & need to fix it/change it now and I probably do more damage by fixating on the problem & her picking up on that radiating stress/sadness that I doubt I'm hiding completely from her ever watchful eyes.

Gonna try a different route and just keep providing her what she needs, enjoy our time & not fixate on her feathers & hopefully she'll keep her haircuts to a minimum.

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Justice dropped a nut Reg had just given him, he watched it fall and looked down and said Oh, s*%$. Apparently a leftover word from a previous home.

LOL I woulda lost it just cuz well ugh I know it's wrong but when they do it in context it's hard not to laugh.

Ok I am the WORST at hiding my reactions.
A loud noise outside & Gracie said "What the h*$L was that?"
Me: Busted out laughing
Gracie: Dam it ... hungry now
Gracie: C'mere wench
Hubby: busted out laughing
Me: Didn't laugh at all - stared @ hubby and said " I TOLD YOU TO STOP SAYING THAT TO HER .. SEE WHAT YOU DID?" . What if she says that when your mother is visiting UGH.
Hubby: busted out laughing again

She was 100% convinced. Even when I gave her back the one she dropped she wasn't having it- tossed it aside to search for the "real" one she dropped.

She has a stubborn streak a mile long.

That video is a good example of when she "talks" without using words. It's funny but those sing song "sentences" is her actually making conversation & telling me about something. Most of the time I can figure it out easily & she'll respond to my answers.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Wench?!? He taught her that!!! That conversation just had me laughing so hard I was falling out of my chair.

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Yep he sure did... his excuse was that if you're gonna have a parrot you teach em pirate lingo. In a lot of her videos you can hear her doing her growly "Arrrrr, Arrrr" that's him too.
He's been trying "shiver me timbers", "matey" "Walk the plank birdbrain" and a few others that haven't caught on.

He also taught her "Kelly where are you? C'mere now Kelly" he says it EVERYTIME I leave the room .. which I've repeatedly pointed out is teaching her a really bad habit but alas he likes it so doesn't listen.

When Gracie wants what you have she'll say "Want that" if I say it's not for her & try and give her something else hubby pipes up "Mean mama"

Some of the other phrases he's taught her:
"Back off or I'll eat your eyeballs"
"Mean parrot"
"That's MINEEEEEE" - very drawn out
"Give it to me"
The horrible gazoo sound she makes he brought a gazoo home & she picked it up immediately not he actually keeps it in his pocket & gets her going with it.

Our son taught her burping, snort laughing & farting noises - which she LOVES to make.

She called outta work today & is home with the kids - I will absolutely go home to a snorting, burping, farting hyper parrot after the day with them lol

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots

Thought you'd appreciate the levels of Gracie's stubbornness & dogged or birded? determination.

We left work Wednesday.
Gracie stayed home yesterday.
Came in to the this morning, normal routine - we had breakfast, outside time (which she usually loves but today she just kept asking to come in so we cut it short) put her on her boing & immediately she climbed down to resume the search for the elusive missing walnut.

[ame="https://youtu.be/fq7yHLQwa44"]Search is still on..[/ame]

LOL I swear I give her other walnuts & food

While she's outside this afternoon I'm gonna try and hide one in the bin to put an end to her search lol

Stubborn.. stubborn girl.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Fabulous videos of Gracie...she certainly has a mind of her own...I couldnt watch two of the singing videos as thry said that they were unavailable in my country ...hee hee Gracies hits never made it to Ireland...you know its wonderful the relationship thats between you and Gracie and whatever her issues with the feather barbering it certainly is not your fault...such a shame that the fire crackers scared her and stressed her so...thanks for sharing such lovely videos of a really Beautiful girl :)

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Aww thanks! At least you got to watch the good ones :) I'll get some posted for ya with her singing & talking that you can watch - I'm sure it's because I edited a few together that it's not letting ya.

Sadly it was just pointed out to me by an employee that Gracie was cussing in one of the ones - didn't even know she knew those words :( I pm'd a mod to edit & remove. I'll figure out how to pull it from youtube when I get home.

How embarrassing to share videos with the employees only to find out you completely missed that - talk about an HR issue whoopsie. I was so busy laughing @ her whining like a dog I didn't make out her words.

Don't want kids to stumble across her unladylike moment - I'm sure she didn't mean to offend.

I know there's an embarrassing moments thread somewhere lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a happy bird Gracie is:D She is just so enthusiastic about life!

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
What a happy bird Gracie is:D She is just so enthusiastic about life!

She sure is - she makes it impossible to be down & out or tired she's so animated & funny. The other night I was talking to hubby about something he had neglected to do that I asked to get done & Gracie pipes right up with her doggie whine sound. We are pretty sure she was taking at potshot @ me cuz of the tone of voice I was using lol then she just broke out into her beatboxing. I forgot whatever it was he hadn't done

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Last week wasn't a fluke :) Gracie had a blast again today after she had her shower she played in her water & had a good time

So excited to see her have it at again :))

Cracks me up when she puts one foot then the other

Enjoy :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/lIarX6dKZTg"]Happy Parrot bath time [/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/rMBfCr5PI-0"]Bath time fun[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/iuVbbLqJE38"]Soggy parrot[/ame]

OP
GraciesMom

GraciesMom

Apr 9, 2016
California
Parrots
Awe sleepy girl after all her bath fun

7676f3a35d80d4b8264fc141d5b4fd3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

LOL I woulda lost it just cuz well ugh I know it's wrong but when they do it in context it's hard not to laugh.

Ok I am the WORST at hiding my reactions.
A loud noise outside & Gracie said "What the h*$L was that?"
Gracie: Dam it ... hungry now
Gracie: C'mere wench
Hubby: busted out laughing
Me: Didn't laugh at all - stared @ hubby and said " I TOLD YOU TO STOP SAYING THAT TO HER .. SEE WHAT YOU DID?" . What if she says that when your mother is visiting UGH.
Hubby: busted out laughing again

She was 100% convinced. Even when I gave her back the one she dropped she wasn't having it- tossed it aside to search for the "real" one she dropped.

She has a stubborn streak a mile long.

That video is a good example of when she "talks" without using words. It's funny but those sing song "sentences" is her actually making conversation & telling me about something. Most of the time I can figure it out easily & she'll respond to my answers.

LOL...I can relate! Jonesy would say " you're f*****' you're f*****'!!" < learned from his previous parront,who said it to his girl friend when she refused to give him money for bills :rolleyes:>. My son and I were watching a ball game one day when we first heard him talk like that. James looked at me,and I looked at him..I said to him "James,did he say what I think he said?" James looked at me,and started to LHAO and said "ya dad,i think so!"
Of course we both about died! < hey! we're guys! it really didn't bother me lol> BUT...it got worse! especially when I was on the phone,and The Cockatoo Man said this phrase VERY loudly,and VERY clear :eek:
One day I am on the phone talking to the cable tv guy and Jones starts in with this..I said to the guy.." I apologize for the cussing,my cockatoo is upset that I am on the phone" The guy cracked up! He says "that's a BIRD??? OMG it is clear as day!"
When I rehomed Jones, I told her of his potty mouth,and she reassured me that she would break him of this habit <uh-huh,I thought to myself :rolleyes:>
The other day I went into the Mukie Mart that TJ <new parront of Bonesy> works at,and owns.to just check to see how he is getting along.
I said " So TJ,is Jonesy still cussing up a storm?" She looked at me,bowed her head, and quietly said "yes" lol.

Jim

Most Reactions