granola bars for an Amazon? biscotti?

hayduke

Jun 12, 2011
My mom insists on giving her Amazon whatever she eats(which isnt much.she is 88pounds) Am I being overly critical when he gets granola bars,cookies,and biscotti...and cheese? It just does not seem he would have evolved for that diet. But he probably would not have made it to 51 in the wild.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Well, if he ain't eating it, send it to me I love granola, biscotti, cheese. But no, there isn't anything wrong with any of those things. The cheese should be given in moderation though. Also try natural granola, that doesn't have a lot of sugar. Amazonz need a low fat diet because they are prone to be a little on the chunky side. That is why vets recommend a pellet diet for them rather than seed.

But hey, if your bird has made it to 51, I say let him eat what he enjoys as long as it's not fatal.

My grandfather was 89 years old and a my grandmother would scold him & me all the time because I would sneak him a piece of chocolate every now and then. Finally one day, I asked the doctor in front of my grandmother what he thought about my grandfather having a piece of chocolate every now and then. The doctor told her "He's 89 years old for god sake, let him eat what he wants". From then on, he didn't have to depend on me to sneak him chocolate, my grandmother gave it to him.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
My husbands bad for this, he has gotten better lately. I dont think it is good for him. He has made it to 51, is it worth arguing w/your mother? Sugars are bad, fats in our food are too much for them.

Maybe you can start offering better choices, fruits, veggies independant of your mom. Be consistant, offer them @ the time of the day that he seems to eat the most, every day. Vary the choices, try raw, cooked, whole & diced up. Try to find out how he likes it. Make skewers & hang on the cage, make it appealing to his little parrot brain.

I know my husband & I have had bitter arguments about this, he seems to be somewhat reformed (or he doesnt do it in front of me). Maybe instead of divorce I can run a CL ad, "for rehoming, 1 used husband, hard worker but unrepented spoiler of children & pets, price negotiable" :mad:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I agree a more healthy diet is better than what your Mum is giving her bird. That said maybe it's only in very small amounts & it isn't hurting the bird in any way. I am guessing you Mum gives her Amazon a fair amount of fruit & veg & other healthy foods. I know my hubby is bad at sharing his treats with our birds.

May I ask how long your Mum has had this bird.???

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
My husbands bad for this, he has gotten better lately. I dont think it is good for him. He has made it to 51, is it worth arguing w/your mother? Sugars are bad, fats in our food are too much for them.

Maybe you can start offering better choices, fruits, veggies independant of your mom. Be consistant, offer them @ the time of the day that he seems to eat the most, every day. Vary the choices, try raw, cooked, whole & diced up. Try to find out how he likes it. Make skewers & hang on the cage, make it appealing to his little parrot brain.

I know my husband & I have had bitter arguments about this, he seems to be somewhat reformed (or he doesnt do it in front of me). Maybe instead of divorce I can run a CL ad, "for rehoming, 1 used husband, hard worker but unrepented spoiler of children & pets, price negotiable" :mad:

Hey, let me know when you post it, I'd give you a buck and a quarter for him. I could always use a little help around the house like cleaning out bird cages and stuff. hahhahahahaha

OP
H

hayduke

Jun 12, 2011
I agree a more healthy diet is better than what your Mum is giving her bird. That said maybe it's only in very small amounts & it isn't hurting the bird in any way. I am guessing you Mum gives her Amazon a fair amount of fruit & veg & other healthy foods. I know my hubby is bad at sharing his treats with our birds.

May I ask how long your Mum has had this bird.???

she got him when he was 6 months old..............so 5 decades

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
When I make dinner at night I just make a healthy bird safe version so my husband and son can feel free to share with the few birds in the house. (Aviary birds get their treats and lunch when I sit in the hammock and eat lunch.

As for a 51. Year old amazon.... well, I woud't worry too much. Moderation and easy on the granola (a lot of fat and sugar and sometimes added vitamins and minerals a bird doesn't need). But if he has made it this far, I wouldn't be overly concerned....

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I'm going with he's 51 and has made it this long eating whatever she eats. If it were me I would let it alone.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Well the sugar is not good for him that is for sure. Read the other ingredients & see what else is in them. I don't eat or have granola bars here to read the ingredients. You could bring over some bags of raw unsalted, nuts for him for treats. Is he on pellets for his main diet? My Yellow Nape likes almonds in the shell & she cracks them & eats them. It gives her something to do for a few minutes. I just give them once in a while for a treat, she is mainly on a 4 pellet mixture (Harrisons, Zupreem, Roudybush & Scenic) for her main diet, (as no 1 pellet is perfect). I switched her to that from solely sunflower seeds that she was eating before I got her. The vet said that she was overweight when I got her. I also give her fresh fruit & veg & some table food, 'tho she is not very adventurous about trying new table foods or fruit & veg so far after being on solely sunflower seeds previously.

Most Reactions

Latest posts