*GRAPHIC WARNING* Analyse this baby GW Macaw poop please

chad84

Mar 20, 2016
Name: Robert

Genealogy: Wild parents; raised until 8 weeks old then abandoned
Adoption: Given to me by a friend to hand feed and raise as my buddy

Plumage: Head, wings and tail intact; mother plucked rest of body; new fluff and feather growths emerging
Home: My entire house; free range; sits in box when cleaning house; have a 5 ft x 6 ft aviary when he gets older

Vet: Non-Avian vet (knowledgeable with Avians though)

Current Meds: Amoxicillin oral 100 mg suspension (flavoured)
Dosage: .5 ml twice a day ( 1 ml a day)
Reason: Wheezing, sneezing and tail bobbing
Diagnosis: Aspiration/Respiratory infection
Duration for Meds: 7 days
Total time on Meds: 4 days

Previous Meds: Diflucan 150mg gelatin capsule
Dosage: 20mg a day
Reason: Slow crop, sour breath, dough texture to crop, food undigested in poop, white blobs in mouth
Diagnosis: Candidiasis
Duration for Meds: 7 days
Total time on Meds: 7 days

I would like to get someone to give me a diagnosis of the entire poop; especially the urine. They cloudy yellow urine started around the same that he started the Amoxicillin. Sometimes he has normal stools, sometimes they are almost clear and sometime they are cloudy. I am worried. I ran to the vet who told me to finish the meds and then bring him back a few days after the meds have worn off. I was wondering what madness is this. My baby pooping yellow and I have to wait? He doesn't seem sick at all. Following me around all day. When I visit my clients I have to carry him around as he cries and begs to come along. He nibbles my toes and always wants to be picked up like a helpless child. He is alive and well. Should I continue the Amoxicillin beyond the 7 days?

Poop on tile (camera flash off)

Poop on tile (camera flash on)

Poop picked up with toilet paper (camera flash off)

Poop picked up with toilet paper (camera flash on)

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Chad, take a deep breath, please! I can tell how much you love and care for Robert.

His poop doesn't look too bad for a baby on antibiotics AND on formula! Yes, the urates are yellow(ish), most likely due to the antibiotics and/or infection.

You have to finish giving him the antibiotics. Has his crop cleared up completely? Is the odor gone? You can add a few drops of organic apple cider vinegar to his formula (once a day) to help aid his crop, unless that is now completely taken care of.

But he MUST finish his meds for his respiratory infection, which can otherwise be fatal!!

You can also add very small amounts of probiotics to his formula, as his immune system will probably be somewhat compromised due to double doses of antibiotics.

You said he's acting normal and playful, which is a GREAT sign!!!

OP
C

chad84

Mar 20, 2016
His crop infection cleared up about 12 days ago. I still give him 2 drops of organic apple cider vinegar with every meal. Too much? Should I stop the apple cider completely? I also add 1 drop of multivit CH to his formula at every feeding as the vet said he was vitamin deficient upon examining. 3 more days to go on antibiotics. What is the best avian probiotic?

Yes he is playing alot.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Which formula are you feeding? A 'complete' formula should not leave your baby having ANY deficiencies. Unless this is a 'flow over' from parental neglect??? (Meaning the baby's parents didn't feed him adequately)

One drop of ACV per day won't harm him, but if you can do without it, I would.

This is a GREAT product: AviBios Probiotics - 8 oz.

OP
C

chad84

Mar 20, 2016
He had massive parental neglect. His is getting better now though. I am only using the ACV to prevent yeast growth while he is on antibiotics. I will stop ACV completely once the antibiotics ware off.

OP
C

chad84

Mar 20, 2016
I assume it is food in the lungs. I did his feeding very carefully. Waited for head pumps and gave him about 10cc per sec. I stop when he stops. Lately I give him 60cc 4 times a day. Used to be 90cc a day. Today he had only 60cc twice today and he lost 20g in 2 days. He is very interested in solid food. I give him mashed papaya and bananas mixed with raw soaked oats. He eat about 25% of the 2 servings he receives daily. I am worried he is eating too little. Feather 'pins' have sprouted all over his body. Alot of them are turning into feathers. Has flaps his wings all day long. Nearly poked out my eye with his flapping 2x today.

I took him off the multivit CH and the AVC completely today. It's day one on pure formula.

OP
C

chad84

Mar 20, 2016
Morning all. Been a busy few days. Robert is now 12 weeks old. he has been off the Amoxicillin for 2 days now. I also took him off the multivit CH and the AVC. His poop still has the yellow tinted urine. He is so active and playful.

Most Reactions