Please help. My baby lovebird is dying, and I can't afford an avian vet

cracker

Aug 24, 2016
I am currently hand feeding a baby lovebird and he became very sick all of a sudden. Three days ago, I fed him a small piece of mozarella cheese until I realized I made a huge mistake in doing so, and that was the only time. He didn't seem affected by it.

Last night, before going to work, I accidentally fed him formula mix that is too hot. It was almost the full syringe, and my bird ate without complaining about the heat. So I realized too late.

That was over 12 hours ago. When I came home, he seemed unusually tired, clingy and chirping unpleasantly. He seemed a little bloated, and I fed him his usual formula. He seemed very lethargic. This is a sample of his poop this morning:

http://i.imgur.com/SyylD7S.jpg
* There was an unusual white mixed with the otherwise normal poop

But just about an hour ago, his stool became black and dry. This is what it looks now:

http://i.imgur.com/FFuJkn7.jpg
* This isn't happening just the once; he has been pooping like this ever since.

I looked up on the internet, and I think he might have serious crop burn, or bacterial infection. Either way, I'm afraid he looks like he's about to die. I feel so sick right now that I feel like I'm going to puke. He is only 6 weeks old and I've had him for less than a week. He is the sweetest creature I've ever met.

If things get worse and he doesn't improve, I would like to try one last thing as a desperation measure. Even though this sounds insane, I will try this because if he is going to die, this isn't going to make things "worse". I have a bottle of HUMAN antibiotics (amoxicillin trihydrate; it's a common penicillin), and I will crack open the pill and mix a small dosage with water and feed it to my bird.

Again, I cannot stress enough that I cannot afford an avian vet. I've called every single one in my city and they all charge way too much. Please, just tell me, does he have a chance? And is there even the slightest chance that amoxicillin trihydrate will save him, if he doesn't?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Please do not give your baby a human antibiotic. If you can't afford a vet, is there a rescue near you who would take him and get him the care he needs? The crop burn can be fatal and he needs emergency vet care.
Can you apply for a Care credit card to have him seen by a vet? Is there anyone you can borrow money from?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is very possible that if that bird does die, you could be reported to the local police for Animal Abuse causing/resulting in death. If found guilty, you could spend time in jail, pay a fine and never be allowed to have or be near animals for a very long time.

The list of major errors that you have made would easily support such a conviction.

So, is it the Vets office or jail? Your choice.

Sorry for the hardness, but it is just the way it is. You are very over your head and your bird needs medical care now!

Last edited:
OP
C

cracker

Aug 24, 2016
Please do not give your baby a human antibiotic. If you can't afford a vet, is there a rescue near you who would take him and get him the care he needs? The crop burn can be fatal and he needs emergency vet care.
Can you apply for a Care credit card to have him seen by a vet? Is there anyone you can borrow money from?

I don't know. Will they take him in for free?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
A rescue should be willing to take him in as a surrender and get him the treatment he needs.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Please, please, please, this innocent baby chick needs immediate care from a professional avian vet. If you can't get him the care he needs, find someone who is willing to do the right thing for him. Time is of the essence. Call the rescues, be completely honest and let them know how desperate the situation is. Hopefully there's still time to help him.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Surrendering him to a rescue seems the only way out of the situation if you can't possibly get your hands on a loan or anything. That baby needs help right away. Urgently! He likely has burned his crop. He may also have an infection of that dried crop as well. Dark, dry fecal matter is a sign of a lack of food. Things will spiral beyond the point of no return soon, if they haven't already, so you must act swiftly for the life of this baby bird.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Either way, I'm afraid he looks like he's about to die. I feel so sick right now that I feel like I'm going to puke. He is only 6 weeks old and I've had him for less than a week. He is the sweetest creature I've ever met.

Again, I cannot stress enough that I cannot afford an avian vet. I've called every single one in my city and they all charge way too much. Please, just tell me, does he have a chance? And is there even the slightest chance that amoxicillin trihydrate will save him, if he doesn't?

In your own words, your lovebird needs professional care immediately. Administering an uncontrolled dose of an antibiotic that may or may not help is irresponsible and may hasten the unthinkable. If you cannot borrow to visit a vet, please find a rescue or other willing facility.

His sweetness and innocence relies on your next move.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Where are you located?

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Where are you located?

I have the same question. If you're within a couple hours of me I will come get them and get them to my vet. Though this would be a surrender until the bird is healthy, weaned, and you show you have the financial ability to be able to act in an emergency and have done what's necessary to learn to properly care for him.

That said, I have doubt you love him and want to do what's best, but birds have unique needs and aren't as hearty as dogs and cats.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
BeatriceC said:
I have the same question. If you're within a couple hours of me I will come get them and get them to my vet. Though this would be a surrender until the bird is healthy, weaned, and you show you have the financial ability to be able to act in an emergency and have done what's necessary to learn to properly care for him.

That said, I have doubt you love him and want to do what's best, but birds have unique needs and aren't as hearty as dogs and cats.

BeatriceC, you are amazing.

CherylCali

Last edited by a moderator:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Cracker -

If you are still reading, here is a group that might be able to help -

Parrot Partner Canada - Rescue - Rehabilitate - Adopt - Educate

But you need to act very quickly, birds go quickly, there really is no time to lose to save this little one's life.

Any questions, let us know, happy to try to help any further if I can.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Cracker -

Two more options -

I am being told that Dr. Beaufrere is a very caring and compassionate vet, they will accept the bird no questions asked if you surrender...
Meet Our Team - OVC Health Sciences Centre

And I have a contact in Toronto, if you can get the baby to her, she will get it to the vet.

Let us know... everyone is trying to help!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I keep a vial of Baytril in my refrigerator just for such things. Call the vet and ask if they would sell you some and and recommend a dosage. You need to know how many grams he weighs. Thin your formula with Pedia lite, very thin and add the Baytril. I'd cram all the Pedia lite I could do his crop. The black stool is blood , from the burned crop. Baytril, an antibiotic, is for the infection. Personally I'd keep him in my shirt pocket while at work or in a broader. Pedia lite should be given every couple of hours. Good luck, you're in a bad spot.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Beatrice, and any of the rest of you regulars who get directly involved, I'll donate money to the cause, to YOU. This is heartrending.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Unforunately, I think this kind of thing happens more then we
know, we just don't hear about them because the owners don't have the smarts or feelings enough to search the Web for cures. This fellow has, and let's hope the poor little thing survives the night.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Agreed, Wrench. At least he's trying.
I hope my wife doesn't read this.
She'll cry all night.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
That's sweet of you, Mr Rival. Unfortunately, the bird is most of a continent away from me, so well out of my driving range.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
I see, Beatrice. Well, the offer stands to any of the regulars here.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I just hope, God has a special place for both the little fid and..
Sorry, but quite often this is really really depressing!

Last edited:

Most Reactions