Grass identification

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This has been a mystery since I moved....
My neighbor's yard has this crazy grass that is not crab-grass. It grows very fast in comparison to the rest of the grass, but it is soft and floppy (like a chia head or something...no sharp edges).

Any thoughts on what this is???
noodles123-albums-weird-grass-picture23354-grass-not-crab-grass-soft-not-sharp-no-paper-cut-edges-grows-fast-compared-regular-grass-but-super-soft-again.jpg

when it really gets going later in the summer, it looks like a slightly less intense version of this (Zoysia Grass- but DK if they are the same):
zoysia-c6119ec2035c4677bf2cdc95012947fa.jpg
noodles123-albums-weird-grass-picture23354-grass-not-crab-grass-soft-not-sharp-no-paper-cut-edges-grows-fast-compared-regular-grass-but-super-soft-again.jpg

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hahaha, clearly not the same thing, but it reminds me of places in my yard where the dogs have, ummm... fertilized! :)

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Hahaha, clearly not the same thing, but it reminds me of places in my yard where the dogs have, ummm... fertilized! :)

LOL- It's a seriously weird grass though--- doesn't look native and starts small, but gets really puffy and weird. Plus, aside from occasional strays, no dogs go in that part of the yard.

It's a genuine mystery. It gets super fluffy and almost makes a bed when it gets long, and it is always bright green and soft (but just so fast growing). If left uncut for 2 weeks, it REALLY does look like that strange lumpy grass above.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
When really long, it genuinely looks like this:

3de3f255699b5dea6dc9dc5f3a0e1cf4.jpg

could it be "creeping red fescue"?
61W+yFLTNkL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions