Great Cotton Rope...!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Awesome! I just wish the cotton one came in more colors (or that the poly one was available in shorter lengths).

woubette

Sep 19, 2011
Media
Texas
Parrots
Rio-Pineapple GCC
Kai-Cinnamon GCC
Please do noy ever leave your fids unattended with cotton rope toys!! They should not be inswide the cage unless you are watching them closely. My very dear friend had a pineapple named Sookie. Sookie was a playmate to my pineapple, Rio. My friend came home one evening and found Sookie dead in the cage. She had her favorite toy (that had been in her cage forever) wrappede around her neck and she died. Somehow she had pulled a single strand of thread out of the cotton rope knot and hung herself with it. She called me hysterical and I had to go over and help bury Sookie. Believe me, the very second I got home, I removed every toy that had cotton rope from Rio's cage. He can only use them in my presence now. Neither she nor I had realized just how dangerous cotton rope could be. Please use caution with your feathered babies!!!

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Please do noy ever leave your fids unattended with cotton rope toys!! They should not be inswide the cage unless you are watching them closely. My very dear friend had a pineapple named Sookie. Sookie was a playmate to my pineapple, Rio. My friend came home one evening and found Sookie dead in the cage. She had her favorite toy (that had been in her cage forever) wrappede around her neck and she died. Somehow she had pulled a single strand of thread out of the cotton rope knot and hung herself with it. She called me hysterical and I had to go over and help bury Sookie. Believe me, the very second I got home, I removed every toy that had cotton rope from Rio's cage. He can only use them in my presence now. Neither she nor I had realized just how dangerous cotton rope could be. Please use caution with your feathered babies!!!

If you look at the site, you see these ropes are short fibered - for exactly the reason you mention...

SUPERIOR COTTON ROPE is 100% cotton. It is short fibered. SUPERIOR COTTON ROPE is all natural and unbleached

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Oh poor Sookie....Sookie? Oh my ..... I love that show. Oh anyway I am sorry for for your friends little conure. My Noble macaw has his toy in his cage that has cotton rope. The ends are about half inch long and he fluffs them up (unravels them) and he lays against the toy for comfort. He has had this toy since he was year and half old and Mihijo is now 16 going on 17. He loves to preen the cotton toys but I am always checking them.

Some need to be re-worked badly but I have problem finding good cotton rope that you have mentioned. I will try that site to get more so I can re-do his toy.

Noblemacaw

PS..that toy is kinda gross right now..he wipes his beak on it and it gets full of...crusties. just GROSS.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
I have bought this cotton rope before (linked above) and it is great. Its very soft and as lene1949 stated above it is short fiber-ed. I highly recommend it but as with any toy, always monitor your bird.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts