Grass and Hay

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello All!

This may or may not be the right place to ask but I figure this question really fits in 2 separate places. I have 2 Budgies and now a 13 week old Cockatiel. For the 1+ years we have had the Budgies we have used forage trays with hay and put some Hay in their bird baths to play with and encourage them to bathe. They also love the occasional handful of grass I give them to chew on. My impression is that Hay and grass is relatively nutritionally neutral. I'm wanting to see if making DIY toys and rope using this is nutritionally safe.

Grass is from my own yard and Hay is at a horse farm where the fields are completely untreated.

Thanks!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Hello All!

This may or may not be the right place to ask but I figure this question really fits in 2 separate places. I have 2 Budgies and now a 13 week old Cockatiel. For the 1+ years we have had the Budgies we have used forage trays with hay and put some Hay in their bird baths to play with and encourage them to bathe. They also love the occasional handful of grass I give them to chew on. My impression is that Hay and grass is relatively nutritionally neutral. I'm wanting to see if making DIY toys and rope using this is nutritionally safe.

Grass is from my own yard and Hay is at a horse farm where the fields are completely untreated.

Thanks!
I think it's fine. My birds love playing in hay and they don't seem to eat it, just play with it

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
I think it's fine. My birds love playing in hay and they don't seem to eat it, just play with it
Mine definitely eat the green grass but hay they just seem to play with. I'll attach a picture in a minute.

I took some hay, soaked it, and braided it into a rope for them to tear at as they see fit. If I put it back in the sunlight for a day I'm guessing it won't be a problem as far as mold. When bales mold its because it gets trapped in the middle with no air.

Just wanting to make sure that's okay. If it works I plan to weave millet into it!

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
PXL_20231019_211936605.jpg Not beautiful but birbs don't care!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Although I love this idea, I would only caution you to be absolutely certain your birds are not eating the hay. I gave my chickens some alfalfa hay to peck and scratch in for some entertainment one winter and one of my hens ended up eating a bunch of it and getting an impacted crop. I know budgies aren’t chickens but their digestive system is the same 🙂. Otherwise, seems like a fun, inexpensive toy!

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Although I love this idea, I would only caution you to be absolutely certain your birds are not eating the hay. I gave my chickens some alfalfa hay to peck and scratch in for some entertainment one winter and one of my hens ended up eating a bunch of it and getting an impacted crop. I know budgies aren’t chickens but their digestive system is the same 🙂. Otherwise, seems like a fun, inexpensive toy!
Mine definitely just seem to chew on it but I am curious. Chickens need grit while budgies and cockatiels don't. Is that true?

Where anatomically is the crop? I presume its off the trachea?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Mine definitely just seem to chew on it but I am curious. Chickens need grit while budgies and cockatiels don't. Is that true?

Where anatomically is the crop? I presume its off the trachea?
Esophagus, crop, gizzard, intestines. Grit goes into the gizzard where it helps grind up food. Birds like chickens and other fowl/ game birds need grit because they consume grains and seeds whole. Whereas birds like budgies shell the seeds, eating only the softer meat of the seed 🙂.

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Update! Take 2 went very well! The rope twist does a lot better and I smoked it in bird friendly tea so it has a nice smell. I couldn't put my full weight on it or anything but the rope is actually pretty tough!

PXL_20231022_172552907.jpg

Soaking some in strawberries i squished up and stirred in. I figure it will add some coloring and smell nice! Plus the tiny bits of skin and seed will be incorporated! :)

PXL_20231023_001721297.jpg

Ps. Yes I have weird thumbs. Runs in my family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts