Great day for Frankie

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
Frankie (B&G macaw) had a great day over the weekend and I thought it might be fun to share with the group. My mom and dad, due to various busy weekends haven't been able to meet their new "grandfid" until this weekend. We went out for Father's day on Sunday, and I talked them into coming over to my house to meet Frankie. I admit that I was a little nervous, because I haven't had Frankie around any other people since I brought her home, so I prepared mom and dad to not be discouraged if Frankie didn't take to them immediately.

Mom and dad sat on the couch and I went and got Frankie out of her cage. As soon as I walked into the room, she looked at my mom and immediately said, "Hello!" I was shocked that she would talk so suddenly meeting new people and react so positively. I sat on the couch and Frankie proceeded to wave at them and also said, "Bye Bye!" My mom was closest, and talked to Frankie a lot at first. Frankie turned her head and looked at mom, and seemed very curious. My mom, in an amazingly brave move decided to offer her arm to Frankie to step up. Frankie didn't hesitate. She absolutely loved my mom. She jumped right over to her and very contently sat on her arm.

It was a great experience. Mom gave her a few treats and Frankie was very gentle with her. Mom wasn't quite confident enough to scratch Frankie's head, even though Frankie bowed down on multiple occasions offering to let mom give her a head rub.

My dad did hold Frankie on his arm once for a short period of time. He was a little less confident handling her, and I think Frankie picked up on that. It didn't take long before she was wanting someone else to take her. It will just take some time. My dad hasn't been around birds much, so I can understand the hesitation.

I was so relieved and happy to see Frankie do so well with them. I'm planning to take Frankie with me on our family vacation this summer and this makes it a lot more exciting to know that the family will enjoy being around her.

Attachments

• Frankie.jpg
    Frankie.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 226

jacksmom

Banned
Banned
Apr 26, 2012
Oh, that's so awesome for you, Frankie, and your family! Sounds like you have a real gem there, all my Jack will ever do is bob his head when he meets new people, lol...though Paris will greet them, she won't allow herself to be handled by the general riff raff! ;)

Good job, excellent parronting! :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What a GREAT and amazing day that must have been for ALL of you!!! :D Hey, it's terrific that Frankie took to your mom so quickly because if you ever want to go on vacation, now you know there is someone that gets along with Frankie. ;)

Perhaps over time your dad will be more confident in holding him, and I'm sure next time your mom visits, she will give Frankie a head rub. :)

GREAT great story!!!! So happy for you!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts