Green Cheek Conure genetics?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
So my male Green Cheek and his previous Yellow-sided mate produced yellow-sided, high-red yellow-sided, and normal babies.

The male (Mamoku) is a possible split to blue, won't find out if he is or not unless/until he produces more offspring.

Mamoku is a visual normal split to yellow-sided and possible split to blue.

A breeder near to us has a hen who is visual blue split to yellow-sides and split to cinnamon.

What sort of babies would that pair produce? Since Mamoku has proved to carry Yellow-sided, I know that Yellow-sided offspring would be a definite.. but what about the rest?? I have to decide within the next day or 2 on whether or not I get the female, so much help is much appreciated! :)

(Still trying to figure out Green Cheek colour genetics)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
genetics make my head spin, but I'll take a guess on this one ;)

if your male is possible split to blue, & your hen in question in a visual blue, then some of your offspring will be visual blue or split to blue.(depending on the sex of the chicks)

if Mamoku is a regular yellowsided GC, you will get a variety of babies-again depending on the hen and her mutation or split.

Now I do not know if a HEN can be double split(with y/s & cinnamon) I know males can be but not sure about hens....you might want to look into that.
As it stands right now, if you do get her, and she is a standard GC visual blue, you will get
standard GC,
yellow sided,
possible visual blue,
at the very least all should be split blue.

She will pass on the blue gene to the offspring(again not sure if it can be passed on to only males or females if only one parent carries the gene)particularly the hen in question.

here is a really good link, hope it helps

Green-Cheeked Conure mutation colors prediction tables by The Feather Tree/ Steve Garvin

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Wow... it is just as confusing as I thought... LOL. I THINK hens can be double split, just... not definite splits.... :/ SO CONFUSING!

Oh! Still sounds like it might be worth getting her anyway. See what happens. However I may wait and see if there is anyone else out there who knows GCC colour genetics...haha

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh wow! That is an awesome link! Thankies!!! *hugs* .. Oh :S Well that's disappointing.. so pretty much she's just a blue then.. :/ so I'd need a yellow-sided female split to blue then.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Oh wow! That is an awesome link! Thankies!!! *hugs* .. Oh :S Well that's disappointing.. so pretty much she's just a blue then.. :/ so I'd need a yellow-sided female split to blue then.

that is correct!....and I know kind of disappointing too :(....but better to find out now that later ;)

thanks for posting this, I learned something too!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
How true, how true... ^^ Mm it'd be horrible spending the time, money and effort and expecting yellow-sided and more and have just normals, possibly blues... :S I would not be pleased.

No worries! :p Thanks for commenting and managing to find that amazingly helpful link! ^^ Now I'm off to bed for a sleep. (2:15am .. oops hehe.. was having too much fun eating Caramello Koalas)

Most Reactions

Latest posts