Green Cheek Conure. HELP!?

zjamesh92

Sep 4, 2011
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure and a Cockatiel
Hi guys. I have a Green Cheek Conure and she is around 7 weeks old. She is almost fully weaned and very cuddly! The only problem is how much she squawks. She chirps all of the time whether you hold her, feed her, or leave the room. Usually it just leads to her screaming and we aren't sure how to break her of that and help make her quieter. We live in an apartment so I am worried that she is being too loud and that we will get complaints from our neighbors. Please does anyone have any advice????????

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i'm afraid conures are known to be noisey birds. there's not really a whole load you can do about it. you could try ignoring the screaming and praisng the quiet, but as she's a baby it prob wont make much difference.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Treat her like you are momma bird. Keep her close to you, warm and well fed. She may not be getting enough to eat.

OP
Z

zjamesh92

Sep 4, 2011
Parrots
i'm pretty sure she is getting enough to eat because she has been eating the seeds and pellets a lot too. she's down to 1 feeding a day. and even after she is fed and sitting curled up under your chin she still does It. oh if only i spoke bird lol

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
That's Odd, green cheeks are in a different "conure" family from the sun conure and nanday conure etc. My green cheek isn't very loud. You could try doing the loud ignore quite praise. I hope it works out for you.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I know that when we were finishing the handfeeding of my daughters linnie, I worried that she was never silent. I even mentioned it to the breeder, they said that it is quite common for babies (even when they are just weaned) to constantly make noise. They said that within time they will quiet down on the constant (almost begging) Your bird may be quite full but is so used to asking to be fed from humans that this is behavior that she will have to "grow out of" I agree with Sprit bird, keep her close, well fed and it should pass. Make sure to ignore the very loud calls when she does this, don't reinforce that behavior. Our little linnie outgrew that constant noise.

Abbiebaby

Sep 5, 2011
TX
Parrots
Cluck - Timneh African Grey.

Just Deceased - Abbie - Green Cheek Conure
Hi - I well understand! My GCC was super loud. What I did to discourage her from making noise was to hum very quietly from wherever I happened to be in the house so that she would try to listen for me. I also spoke very quietly to her when we spent time together.

My GCC was accidentally euthanized by a Vet this weekend and I can tell you now that I miss everyone of her noises. It may seem annoying right now, but you'll learn to appreciate them. GCC are wonderful birds - they make a home more "colorful" to live in.

Good luck.

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN
My GCC was accidentally euthanized by a Vet this weekend and I can tell you now that I miss everyone of her noises. It may seem annoying right now, but you'll learn to appreciate them. GCC are wonderful birds - they make a home more "colorful" to live in.

Good luck.

!!!!!!

I am so sorry to hear that!!! :( I cannot begin to imagine how I would feel should a vet make that "mistake" with Guido.....

Lawsuits would be involved....

Abbiebaby

Sep 5, 2011
TX
Parrots
Cluck - Timneh African Grey.

Just Deceased - Abbie - Green Cheek Conure
Thank you.

OP
Z

zjamesh92

Sep 4, 2011
Parrots
Oh my I can't even imagine how that would feel. How does a vet "accidentally" euthanize a pet???????? Definitely a malpractice suit right there! The only problem I have is that my apartments walls are so thin that you can here every little thing through them and my neighbors are starting to complain. I would sell her too you if you weren't in TX. I really don't want to sell her, but that seems to be the option that is getting ready to smack me in the forehead :( It's so sad because she is the sweetest little bird but she is just to darn loud for my living situation right now.... if anyone has any other advice that would help I am completely open to it! Thanks guys

Most Reactions