Which Green-Cheek is the best for a Parrot Newbie?

• A Regular Green-Cheek Conure

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A Yellow-Sided Green-Cheek Conure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Black-Capped Green-Cheek Conure

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A Pineapple Green-Cheek Conure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're exactly the same, apart for the colours.

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Kiwi the Peach-Faced Lovebird
A while ago, I became convinced that parrots were the most amazing animals in the world. So I started to do my research on which was best, and I narrowed it down to Conures, Cockatiels, or Parrotlets.
Later on, you helped me narrow it down to Conures.

This week, you've helped me determine which Conure was right for me, the Green-Cheek Conure. And now, I have yet another question to ask you:

What kind of Green-Cheek Conure mutation is best? Let me explain.
I know that, when dealing with sentient animals, no two are alike. However, they're still the same in a few ways, when it comes down to personality. For example, most Sun Conures enjoy screaming very loud. Although this is a personality trait, it's one that a majority of these species share. Now, are there any personality traits that differ with different mutations of Green-Cheek Conures? Or is the only difference the colors? If there are, which would be the best for a newbie at birds?
Here are the types of Green-Cheeks I've found near where I live.

Regular Green-Cheek Conures
Yellow-Sided Green-Cheek Conures
Black-Capped Green-Cheek Conures
Pineapple Green-Cheek Conures

Thanks.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
There is no difference except color I have a yellow sided gcc because I love their colors the best. And gcc are much quieter than the larger conures. ie sun, jenday, patagonian, ect.:)

OP
CharlieSheen

CharlieSheen

Dec 8, 2012
South Florida
Parrots
Kiwi the Peach-Faced Lovebird
Really? Huh. I like the yellow-sided Conures as well. All of them are nice, really, apart for some of the pineapple conures.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
We have a yellow sided, Franklin (see pic's of him in my profile albums by clicking on my user name)

WE LOVE HIM SO MUCH! He picked us...we walked into the petstore not planning on taking home a new pet and his amazing, funny, and very convincing antics MADE us not be able to leave the store without him. We've never regretted it.

All the green cheek species are wonderful in my opinion and unless you definitely have an absolute color preference for what ever reason...then I would choose one based on personality over color anyday.

You won't be disappointed :)

Good Luck!

Toni

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I currently have a pineapple green cheek conure and I can hand her. I had a regular colored one as a child who was more bonded to me but he was younger while the one I have is six months old (as time progresses she may closely too). I don't think there was much ifference execpt the regular colored one was more fearless but it may be because of gender.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Blacked capped conures aren't a sub species of the green cheek conure. They are stunning little birds and if you have one available I would go for it.

blackcappedconure.jpg

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Yellow Sided here also. Maxx also picked me.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Yellow sided here as well. I don't believe they are subspecies though just different GCC mutations...

nicolee003

Oct 19, 2012
Ohio
Parrots
Yoshi - Cinnamon GCC R.I.P. :(
Yogi - Normal GCC
My first was a cinnamon and he was the sweetest thing ever!

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
They are all the same species, except for the black capped. The others you have listed are just color varieties. Just like black labs, chocolate labs and yellow labs are all labs, just different colors. I have a pineapple gcc, but I think all the colors are beautiful in their own ways. Though one of my favorite colors has to be turquoise. I would suggest going by color second, personality should be first.

Most Reactions