Green Cheek Will Not Stop Yelling When My Wife Watches TV

joewill85

Aug 23, 2012
So we've had great success teaching our bird not to screech, but all of a sudden she won't stop doing it while my wife is watching tv. It's been going on for a month and a half now. She doesn't do it to me except rarely, and all I have to do is walk out of the room once (twice at most) and she won't do it the rest of the time. She does this more at night, but will do it during the day. The only thing that makes her stop is the TV either being muted or me hanging out in the room. It's seriously starting to affect our home life because we can't do what we want when we want. The amount of time she spends out of her cage makes no difference at all. We've tried positively reinforcing her when she's quiet, and also combined this by turning our backs on her or leaving the room when she screeches. Nothing has worked to any degree so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She's about 9 months old, and so far seems to like me more than my wife, although her and my wife get along great whether I'm home or not.

P.S. She may be molting again, but it's hard to tell with her. She almost always has a pin feather or two in her. She's definitely molted once since we had her. I'm just not convinced enough at this point to chalk up this change in behavior to molting, especially when I'm fairly certain it hasn't been going on the whole time.

Last edited:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I've had birds that would try to make noise while we were watching TV or talking, but would be quiet when the noise stopped. Do you think she is just trying to participate?

You could try covering her cage when she does it, and taking the cover off when she stops.

OP
J

joewill85

Aug 23, 2012
I've had birds that would try to make noise while we were watching TV or talking, but would be quiet when the noise stopped. Do you think she is just trying to participate?

You could try covering her cage when she does it, and taking the cover off when she stops.

Definitely tried covering her up. One of two things occurs:

1. She stops for a few minutes and then immediately resumes upon being uncovered and not seeing me in the room.

2. She stops for a few minutes, we leave her covered a little too long (by her standards) and she starts screeching while covered.

I don't think it's just participation because otherwise she would do it to me too, and it wouldn't seem to matter what time of day it is. I actually had to move her into the bedroom today and shut the door so she could just go to bed because I was afraid our neighbors would get upset. I felt terrible doing that, as she used to be just fine staying up with us playing with her toys, and getting attention occasionally.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)

Definitely tried covering her up. One of two things occurs:

1. She stops for a few minutes and then immediately resumes upon being uncovered and not seeing me in the room.

2. She stops for a few minutes, we leave her covered a little too long (by her standards) and she starts screeching while covered.

I don't think it's just participation because otherwise she would do it to me too, and it wouldn't seem to matter what time of day it is. I actually had to move her into the bedroom today and shut the door so she could just go to bed because I was afraid our neighbors would get upset. I felt terrible doing that, as she used to be just fine staying up with us playing with her toys, and getting attention occasionally.

Is there a particular time of day she does it more? Could she just be cranky from staying up late?

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Assuming that it's not crankyness from lack of sleep, it may just be a phase, or it may not. Some animals escalate their vocals to match the surrounding noise.

Consider moving the cage into another routine every night (or having a smaller bed-time cage) when it's time to sleep.

OP
J

joewill85

Aug 23, 2012
Assuming that it's not crankyness from lack of sleep, it may just be a phase, or it may not. Some animals escalate their vocals to match the surrounding noise.

Consider moving the cage into another routine every night (or having a smaller bed-time cage) when it's time to sleep.

Yeah I've wondered if she's cranky but that doesn't explain why she does it only to my wife. She also said that a couple times she's used headphones so there's no noise that the bird still yelled at her.

We're ordering a set of wireless headphones so she can sit on the couch like normal and hopefully the bird won't know what's going on. If that doesn't work, then I'll move the cage. I did it before, but I thought it was possibly traumatic for her to move her around like that. But if it's ok for her then I guess we'll do that for a while. I just feel bad putting her to bed around 5 or 6 every day. Thanks.

Last edited:

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Is there a difference in volume from when you watch and when the wife watches? If it's louder when the wife watches it may be irritating to your bird.

Always possible she's trying to join in or wants more attention from your wife.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
We're ordering a set of wireless headphones so she can sit on the couch like normal and hopefully the bird won't know what's going on. If that doesn't work, then I'll move the cage. I did it before, but I thought it was possibly traumatic for her to move her around like that. But if it's ok for her then I guess we'll do that for a while. I just feel bad putting her to bed around 5 or 6 every day. Thanks.

Animals are pretty resilient, especially if there's a routine. Bonus of a routine - when you forget to do something, the bird reminds you! ;)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Where is the bird when you watch TV?

Where is the bird when your wife watches TV?

Is the bird receiving any interaction while you two watch TV?

Have either of you tried watching TV with your bird on the shoulder? Couch? Chair? Gym?

Does your bird have anything to do while you are watching TV?

OP
J

joewill85

Aug 23, 2012
Where is the bird when you watch TV?

Where is the bird when your wife watches TV?

Is the bird receiving any interaction while you two watch TV?
:blue2:
Have either of you tried watching TV with your bird on the shoulder? Couch? Chair? Gym?

Does your bird have anything to do while you are watching TV?

She is typically 5 feet away, but we've tried having her right next to us. We do not typically play with her while watching TV, but that has always been the case. We're trued playing with her during watching TV and then caging her and it doesn't matter. The weird thing is she rarely does it to me. I don't watch TV that much quieter, and my wife has tried watching it at a low volume. She still screeches at her.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Should have asked, who is the conure more closely bonded to? I don't know if knowing that will help any, but it sounds like you may have to move your GC into another room or at least until you can figure out how to keep him busy and uninterested in the TV while your wife watches it.

OP
J

joewill85

Aug 23, 2012
Should have asked, who is the conure more closely bonded to? I don't know if knowing that will help any, but it sounds like you may have to move your GC into another room or at least until you can figure out how to keep him busy and uninterested in the TV while your wife watches it.

Like I said, she's more closely bonded to me, but she's great with my wife whether I'm around or not. In fact, in the last several weeks they've made great strides in getting even closer than they were before. Although my wife takes biting and angry noises quite personal, she never displays it to the bird (I keep telling my wife that the bird does it to me too, but my wife always feels like there's something wrong with how she's handling her). But I digress, I can't move her permanently because only our bedroom has enough room for a cage and that would eradicate most of her daily contact with us, as we only go in there to sleep.

I think I'm going to see how the wireless headphones work, and if those don't solve it then I guess I'll make a routine out of putting her in our bedroom only at night when we need to have time to ourselves. Sincere thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh the reminders of the conures I used to have.....Have you tried shutting off the lights while watching tv? IF he just screams whenever, then it might be a good thing to place him into a different room away from the room where you guys watches tv. Place a stand in your living space where he get to come out to play then there's the alone time, play music for him in the room where he's in so he don't feel alone.

wiesbadengera

Feb 4, 2013
seattle
Parrots
a green cheek conure
my chooch hates the tv and the radio.he will also attack my hand if i hold the remote, and i do not dare talk on my cell phone if he is around..NOPE! its almost as if noise hurts his little birdie ears!?!

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
My two are going through this phase again >.<
I've been whistling (our flock call) to them throughout the day when they're whistling or quiet and for the last 3 days the screaming has greatly lessened. Has worked for me, for now............ o_O
Good luck, screaming phases are never fun.

Most Reactions