Green cheeked conures

NiR

Jul 30, 2012
What are the pros and cons of GCC. How do they compare to budgies and who can i make a MUCH stronger bond with and who will want to be with me more? How do they compare to senegals?

would appreciate any info on GCC.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
I've never had the pleasure of meeting a senegal, but I know that GGC's are really similar to budgies.

One of the main differences is concentration - Budgies can't focus on anything for more then a few seconds while GCC's can focus for a good few minutes.
Budgies tend to chat idly to themselves for hours, while GGC's make more noise less often.
GGC's need scritchies and cuddles. Budgies don't require as much attention.
Socially they are very similar. They both like to hang out with the flock, although GGC's tend to notice when they're left out of something and will try to attract attention. Budgies are happier to be close to the attention, GGC's want to be involved with the attention.

Basically budgies are like hyperactive little clowns with the ability to always find something interesting to do.
GGC's are like miniature toddlers that love cuddles and scratches.
Overall I think you can develop a stronger bond with a GGC, but they can become quite needy.

Hope it helps! :)

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Having owned both I have no real cons to either type of birds for me it was a size thing GCC's were a bundle of energy and all around clowns they were loving and always ready to come out and play. My Senegal being half again the size of GCC's just felt right for a person of my size and age he is my best friend and if I let him a constant companion his self reserve keeps him coyly hidden on my shoulder but he is always ready to step up and visit anyone how holds out a finger (all the time keeping an eye on me) He doesn't like a hand above his head or to be petted but loves a beak rub. He looks forward to his 10 minutes of out of cage every morning and gives only a few flock calls when I put him up and head out to work then busy's himself for the day as I go out to make seed money. He is happy to see me at lunch time and share my sandwich or a sip of lemonade, and then quietly watch me return to work. Weekends we go to Flea Markets,Home Depot ,PetSmart ,or Farmers Markets so we can people watch and keep him social letting him go to complete strangers or lay on his back so little children can pet his belly. Ok well this is getting long winded hope it gives you some help (Oh just so you know I did all these same things with my GCC's and they were always received with OOOOO's and Ahhhhh's )

lokiNotis

Jul 3, 2012
WV
Parrots
Loki-Green Cheek Conure
Otis-blue Quaker Bandit-YNA
I can only speak on my experience with my GCC. As others have said he is full of energy. He is quite the acrobat. He really doesn't like me. He loves my husband. He will let me get him in and out of the cage fine but if I keep holding him he bites. He never bites my husband. He can talk somewhat. It is kind of grabbled but you can understand him. Well like with a little kid, the parents can understand them but I don't know if strangers would. He will hide if we have company. But in all honesty we hardly ever have company so I can't blame him. He loves to run back and forth across the top of the couch. He really is a joy. Even though I get bites I wouldn't try him for he world. Good luck with your choice!

Most Reactions

Latest posts