When did you get your second bird?

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have a lovely green cheek conure and I am completely happy with a single parrot, but I know that I will want to have more birds in the future. I was wondering how long you had your first parrot before getting a new one and if I get one years later will my bird will still bond with it?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I got my first parrot, Birdie the jenday, about a year after my first birds, which was a pair of ringneck doves. They never got along, I never even really tried to socialize them together, it would be dangerous and pointless... I think your question would be more regarding when I got my 2nd parrot species that DID flock with my first conure.

My 2nd parrot was a cockatiel named Kibble and I didn't even really mean to expand my flock, my then-roommate moved out of the country and asked if she could leave Kibble with me instead of with a shelter and I was so happy. That was maybe a year after I got Birdie. It happened very organically. Actually, while I've adopted quite a few birds since then, I didn't decide on my own to adopt another bird until like 5+ years later.. I just kept acquiring birds from friends lol.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My first was a wild caught orange wing Amazon in 84.
It became obvious to us that Plumas was unlikely to be very friendly and was not (and never did) learning to talk.

Please understand this was way pre internet and we knew only what the pet shop told us.

we really wanted a talking/friendly parrot.
we got Bingo our yellow nape about a year after getting Plumas.

Bingo and Plumas were initially friendly.
It’s too long ago to remember why they stopped getting along, it could be when Bingo bonded to me.

Plumas did develop a certain amount of trust with me and ended up bonding to my 3 rd parrot Patcho that I rescued in 89.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I got my second budgie about a year after getting my first. Bogey was very friendly with me and all of my family but I always felt bad when he would hear other budgies when were watching internet videos and start calling and looking for them. I was nervous to get a second bird and the lady at the local pet store where I got him did warn me that there was a possibility they wouldn’t get along. I decided to go through with it and I’m glad I did. Bogey and Peck got along well and were total maniacs flying free around the house all day. About a month after Peck joined our household, Bogey came and landed on my knee and looked me in the eye for several seconds. Maybe I’m being sentimental but I swear he was telling me thank you for getting him a friend. Since then, I’ve always kept two budgies. ❤️

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I got my first two budgies at the same time. When they passed, my first two cockatiels came as a pair, then a week later a third was added to the flock.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
1st and 2nd birds were at the same time. My roommates mother shows up one day with 2 parakeets in a cardboard box, that she got from Craigslist, because he told her I was thinking of getting a bird. She has a Conure, for like 30 years.
20191026_112314.jpg

Phoenix came home two months later

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I got my first parrot, Birdie the jenday, about a year after my first birds, which was a pair of ringneck doves. They never got along, I never even really tried to socialize them together, it would be dangerous and pointless... I think your question would be more regarding when I got my 2nd parrot species that DID flock with my first conure.

My 2nd parrot was a cockatiel named Kibble and I didn't even really mean to expand my flock, my then-roommate moved out of the country and asked if she could leave Kibble with me instead of with a shelter and I was so happy. That was maybe a year after I got Birdie. It happened very organically. Actually, while I've adopted quite a few birds since then, I didn't decide on my own to adopt another bird until like 5+ years later.. I just kept acquiring birds from friends lol.
Wow! I was wondering if conures and cockatiels could flock together. I would love to have a more “calm” species of bird even though most people with cockatiels say otherwise 😂

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
My first was a wild caught orange wing Amazon in 84.
It became obvious to us that Plumas was unlikely to be very friendly and was not (and never did) learning to talk.

Please understand this was way pre internet and we knew only what the pet shop told us.

we really wanted a talking/friendly parrot.
we got Bingo our yellow nape about a year after getting Plumas.

Bingo and Plumas were initially friendly.
It’s too long ago to remember why they stopped getting along, it could be when Bingo bonded to me.

Plumas did develop a certain amount of trust with me and ended up bonding to my 3 rd parrot Patcho that I rescued in 89.
Wow that’s very cool! I didn’t know that parrots could stop getting along! I’ll have to also consider that when getting my second bird lol. Thank you so much!

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I got my second budgie about a year after getting my first. Bogey was very friendly with me and all of my family but I always felt bad when he would hear other budgies when were watching internet videos and start calling and looking for them. I was nervous to get a second bird and the lady at the local pet store where I got him did warn me that there was a possibility they wouldn’t get along. I decided to go through with it and I’m glad I did. Bogey and Peck got along well and were total maniacs flying free around the house all day. About a month after Peck joined our household, Bogey came and landed on my knee and looked me in the eye for several seconds. Maybe I’m being sentimental but I swear he was telling me thank you for getting him a friend. Since then, I’ve always kept two budgies. ❤️
Awww this is sooo sweet! I’m so glad your parrots got along! It’s good to know that parrots can still bond with one another after a year.

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I got my first two budgies at the same time. When they passed, my first two cockatiels came as a pair, then a week later a third was added to the flock.
Wow that’s a smart move! Getting parrots in pairs will take out the risk of them not getting along

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
1st and 2nd birds were at the same time. My roommates mother shows up one day with 2 parakeets in a cardboard box, that she got from Craigslist, because he told her I was thinking of getting a bird. She has a Conure, for like 30 years.
View attachment 57639
Phoenix came home two months later
Your birds look sooooo cute!!!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Wow! I was wondering if conures and cockatiels could flock together. I would love to have a more “calm” species of bird even though most people with cockatiels say otherwise 😂
I should clarify that I often say my parrots are a flock even if they're caged separately. When I first took Kibble in, she had her own cage. I did eventually learn that Kibble and Birdie were best friends and I did allow them to stay in the same cage (after a BIG cage upgrade!) but that was a few years later.

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I should clarify that I often say my parrots are a flock even if they're caged separately. When I first took Kibble in, she had her own cage. I did eventually learn that Kibble and Birdie were best friends and I did allow them to stay in the same cage (after a BIG cage upgrade!) but that was a few years later.
Ok thank you so much for clearing that up!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There is really no way to know if one bird will bond with another.

I think the sooner a second bird is added the better the chance they will bond.

the more bonded your current bird is to you the more difficult it will be for him/her to bond with the new bird.

if the two birds do bond to each other it’s important to continue to handle and reaffirm the relationship/bond you have with the first bird.

have managed to do this with two pairs of amazons.
both pair had a friendly and not so friendly bird together.
I

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
There is really no way to know if one bird will bond with another.

I think the sooner a second bird is added the better the chance they will bond.

the more bonded your current bird is to you the more difficult it will be for him/her to bond with the new bird.

if the two birds do bond to each other it’s important to continue to handle and reaffirm the relationship/bond you have with the first bird.

have managed to do this with two pairs of amazons.
both pair had a friendly and not so friendly bird together.
I
Yes that’s what I was wondering! Thank you so much! I’m a little concerned though that my bond with my bird might weaken if I get another bird.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes that’s what I was wondering! Thank you so much! I’m a little concerned though that my bond with my bird might weaken if I get another bird.
It may weaken but make sure you continue to have one on one time with your first bird.

even though Pacho bonded and was mating with Plumas Pacho remain friend with me.
Only real trouble and it was minor Plumas would be angry at Pacho after I had been playing/handling her. When I put her back I had to place her not too close to Plumas or he would lunge at her.

this was also true with my cockatiel mated pair.
Female (Sunny) remained tame and friendly despite her mate Cheeky being completely untamed and unfriendly.
and despite raising two clutches of babies.

yes Pacho was a girl despite the name

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
I got my first bird in Dec of 2022. Then, it was all bird world from there. Now I have six birds..... and love each and everyone of them!! They watch my every move, follow me everywhere, try to eat my dinner, even if their dinner is made, and bathroom time is our study lesson and we have discussions on things they did (as if they listen) lol! Because that is not private either!
Anyway, the introduction for me was not bad at all, they get along great! And it's three different types of birds.
When the smaller birds get to loud, my macaw tells them to be quite!! It's really funny because they actually listen to him! as a bird lover, I have no regrets!

OP
I

I❤️Birds

Jan 21, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
It may weaken but make sure you continue to have one on one time with your first bird.

even though Pacho bonded and was mating with Plumas Pacho remain friend with me.
Only real trouble and it was minor Plumas would be angry at Pacho after I had been playing/handling her. When I put her back I had to place her not too close to Plumas or he would lunge at her.

this was also true with my cockatiel mated pair.
Female (Sunny) remained tame and friendly despite her mate Cheeky being completely untamed and unfriendly.
and despite raising two clutches of babies.

yes Pacho was a girl despite the name
Ok that’s good to know that was one my biggest fears of getting another bird

Most Reactions

Latest posts