green color poop of my new parrot

OP
D

danilo

Nov 18, 2013
Macao
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
the parrot shop said he is a 7 months old boy, imported from South Africa, already stable and weaned. I also thought that he has not weaned, because he cannot open the sunflower seeds with his beak, or not willing to do so i don't know.....but it is impossible to export a unweaned baby, isn't it?

KimKim

May 5, 2013
Parrots
CAG
Idk, but maybe you should google and ask questions here on how to hand/spoon feed, and get the formula fast! I hope others can help you more, I have no experience in that. And I would start a new thread so others can see the new topic and help. Some may not have looked here since it's about poop lol.

OP
D

danilo

Nov 18, 2013
Macao
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
i took him to the vet the last night, because he didn't and not willing yo eat many things, the vet said that his situation is not that bad, and gave me a drop that should be add to his water twice a day and each time 2 drops.
but today in the morning i prepare carrot, apple and corn to his, he like apple and carrot very much! but only eat from my hand, why? when i put the food in his bowl, he just didn't look at that......
View attachment 9353

IMG_0255.jpg

View attachment 9355

View attachment 9356

View attachment 9357

Last edited:

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Maybe try a different bowl, like a wide shallow bowl. That way when he's eating his food he won't be blinding himself to whats around him. I mainly use deep bowls for water.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
He is only eating from your hand because that is the only way he has ever been fed. he hasn't learned to feed himself. Maybe try feeding him from a shallow dish with a small spoon. This way he will see where his food comes from and not associate your hand with his food. I would try soft foods until he learns how to feed himself.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A red shouldered macaw is a hahns macaw, just like a galah is a rose breasted cockatoo.

Green poop can also be a sign of infections, which is what my guess is.

Chaining isn't very common in new world countries and Europe, but is more common in Asian countries. I understand the reasons for it, but I do not agree with them.

OP
D

danilo

Nov 18, 2013
Macao
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
A red shouldered macaw is a hahns macaw, just like a galah is a rose breasted cockatoo.

Green poop can also be a sign of infections, which is what my guess is.

Chaining isn't very common in new world countries and Europe, but is more common in Asian countries. I understand the reasons for it, but I do not agree with them.
yup, i also don't like the way that the asian petshop or breeders treat the parrots, they even taught me to pull the parrot out without trust building first, and they even said that once pulled out, you are the only person that he can trust......:confused:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
That's just forcing a bond via flooding... continually exposing a parrot to something it fears. It teaches them that regardless of the out come they have no choice.

The best of relationship, IMO, is built on trust and communication, not force. A better relationship can be built and may help to build a more confident and inquisitive bird. :)

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
gorgeous bird! He looks physically healthy and in good order. Like other have suggested perhaps try a different bowl or moving the location of the bowl? The hand feeding will help with trust and bonding, though it sounds like you are both getting along a lot better now =D

Most Reactions

Latest posts