Why is my new Budgie pooping like this?

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I got my budgie a new friend a week ago and she's been having soft stools/diarrhea since I got her. I figured it was stress but today when cleaning their water and food bowls, the new bird (which I assume is 3-4 months old) pooped grey on my arm. It was grey and white in the center, the grey was almost an off blue.

I'm worried because she's been puffed up throughout the week. She still eats, drinks, and plays happily but it's been a week already with no improvement in her poop.

I added a photo of how her poo dropping looked from my arm.

Attachments

• DE19467C-CEDE-459A-BCAD-A5D216D1FB30.jpeg
    DE19467C-CEDE-459A-BCAD-A5D216D1FB30.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 82
Apr 3, 2023
United Kingdom, England, Cheshire
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
Mayumi (4/11/2020-1/4/2023) Best friend of me and Makisig, our sibling, the one we cherished. Please fly high for us and don’t stop at nothing ♥️♥️♥️
I don’t want to be an allegory to diagnose her but she may have avian gastric yeast infection. Please take what I said with a grain of salt. The symptoms you have described are exactly the my poor girl had when she had it, and the poop just looks extremely similar to the ones she had when mine had it.
If this continues take to the vet as soon as possible. Measure her weight everyday to see whether if she is loosing more weight and isolate her from other budgies.
I may be paranoid but this fungal infection has genuinely terrified me as it slowly wastes away the bird to starvation. I don’t want any other budgie, let alone any bird ,suffering the same fate as her as it was so horrible it hurts when I simply think about it.
If you’ve noticed she is loosing weight and is still lethargic I’d suggest getting her a bird-safe heating lamp and feeding her soft foods.
Just please get her to the vet as soon as possible if it does continue, I can’t beg ever so more.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I don’t want to be an allegory to diagnose her but she may have avian gastric yeast infection. Please take what I said with a grain of salt. The symptoms you have described are exactly the my poor girl had when she had it, and the poop just looks extremely similar to the ones she had when mine had it.
If this continues take to the vet as soon as possible. Measure her weight everyday to see whether if she is loosing more weight and isolate her from other budgies.
I may be paranoid but this fungal infection has genuinely terrified me as it slowly wastes away the bird to starvation. I don’t want any other budgie, let alone any bird ,suffering the same fate as her as it was so horrible it hurts when I simply think about it.
If you’ve noticed she is loosing weight and is still lethargic I’d suggest getting her a bird-safe heating lamp and feeding her soft foods.
Just please get her to the vet as soon as possible if it does continue, I can’t beg ever so more.
I haven't noticed if she's lost weight but she seems to be alright and eating and drinking normally. I don't have a way to weigh her right now but I'll have to make her an appointment to get checked. She's been with my ofher bird for a week so should I just have them both chrcked to be safe? What should I specifically ask the vet to do? Now Im scared cause shes been this way for a week. I havent noticed any changes in the others dropping and I really don't want to seperate them because the baby and her love eachother so much, it's painful for them and me.

Yknow the baby calls for her very loudly if shes gone even for a few seconds.

Also Im sorry you lost your bird, they're flying high in the clouds now. <3
I also lost one of mine a few months back. The effects of the passing last so long so I know how you feel. The terror of our budgies becoming sick is enough to make us panic. and I wasnt ready for snother bird but I realized mine was getting lonely. So, here we are

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I got my budgie a new friend a week ago and she's been having soft stools/diarrhea since I got her. I figured it was stress but today when cleaning their water and food bowls, the new bird (which I assume is 3-4 months old) pooped grey on my arm. It was grey and white in the center, the grey was almost an off blue.

I'm worried because she's been puffed up throughout the week. She still eats, drinks, and plays happily but it's been a week already with no improvement in her poop.

I added a photo of how her poo dropping looked from my arm.
I'd put white paper towels in her cage bottom to catch the poops and get a better look at them.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I'd put white paper towels in her cage bottom to catch the poops and get a better look at them.
I did that but I'm having a hard time differentiating her poops from the other budgies and which is which except the other ones seems to be normal. Ill try changing the paper towel tonight and monitoring their poo. Good thing is that she's not puffed right now and I believe it's because it's much warmer tonight than previous days.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
I also got some pictures of the inside of their cage grate. They kicked food at the bottom so it's really full and might be hard to see. I also took a photo of where they both sit at night together, right sbove their circular wooden plank, sometimes.

Attachments

• A4E9B2F3-5D14-434C-89E5-DEC09149F8D6.jpeg
    A4E9B2F3-5D14-434C-89E5-DEC09149F8D6.jpeg
    251.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 0C607FE4-4C53-463F-949F-CEEB20501C06.jpeg
    0C607FE4-4C53-463F-949F-CEEB20501C06.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 482843B2-648F-4448-BBE5-AFA80637980B.jpeg
    482843B2-648F-4448-BBE5-AFA80637980B.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 49
Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
Mayumi (4/11/2020-1/4/2023) Best friend of me and Makisig, our sibling, the one we cherished. Please fly high for us and don’t stop at nothing ♥️♥️♥️
I also got some pictures of the inside of their cage grate. They kicked food at the bottom so it's really full and might be hard to see. I also took a photo of where they both sit at night together, right sbove their circular wooden plank, sometimes.
That definitely has to be brought to the vets asap. Also by the way, are you sure she is not just grinding her food? Budgies with AGY tend to grind their seeds instead of dropping them.
An alternative way to see their weight, though it won’t be an accurate measurement, is through feeling the keel bone which is on the chest.
If her chest sticks out slightly however there is a bit of fat surrounding it then that is good, if it sticks out like a knife then that definitely bad and should be brought over to the vets.
The droppings of your other birds look fine and is typically what is seen in birds that eats seed.
But the other one is definitely ill so get her to the vets asap.

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
But yeah I’d also suggest bring the other birds as although they aren’t sick now they may be asymptomatically carrying what your current birds is sick with. Dormant foreign bodies strike when the bird is at their worst times so bring them to the vets too if you can.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
That definitely has to be brought to the vets asap. Also by the way, are you sure she is not just grinding her food? Budgies with AGY tend to grind their seeds instead of dropping them.
An alternative way to see their weight, though it won’t be an accurate measurement, is through feeling the keel bone which is on the chest.
If her chest sticks out slightly however there is a bit of fat surrounding it then that is good, if it sticks out like a knife then that definitely bad and should be brought over to the vets.
The droppings of your other birds look fine and is typically what is seen in birds that eats seed.
But the other one is definitely ill so get her to the vets asap.
I noticed she actually eats periodically specially with my other bird throughout the day. She doesn't seem to grind them for long periods of time. I see her chew her food side by side my other girl budgie.

I scrubbed the wood corners they have and changed the bottom lining so I can have a clear idea of how they're both doing but I'm 100% certain she has diarrhea and that you're correct, she needs to see the vet asap so I'll schedule a visit for both. I'm pretty devastated because I just got her and it's really scary and overwhelming to know she's sick.

Do you know what I should specifically ask the vet for? And you wouldn't mind if I update you on their droppings in the morning, would you?

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
I noticed she actually eats periodically specially with my other bird throughout the day. She doesn't seem to grind them for long periods of time. I see her chew her food side by side my other girl budgie.

I scrubbed the wood corners they have and changed the bottom lining so I can have a clear idea of how they're both doing but I'm 100% certain she has diarrhea and that you're correct, she needs to see the vet asap so I'll schedule a visit for both. I'm pretty devastated because I just got her and it's really scary and overwhelming to know she's sick.

Do you know what I should specifically ask the vet for? And you wouldn't mind if I update you on their droppings in the morning, would you?
Sure, I’d like to see it.
But you don’t really need to specifically ask the vet anything I don’t think. Just show whoever comes to examine your birds videos or photos of how she has has been behaving and droppings.
For the meanwhile I think it is best to continue observing her for any signs of her ill health continuing to degrade so you can further help her if her health does continue to go down further.

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
Sure, I’d like to see it.
But you don’t really need to specifically ask the vet anything I don’t think. Just show whoever comes to examine your birds videos or photos of how she has has been behaving and droppings.
For the meanwhile I think it is best to continue observing her for any signs of her ill health continuing to degrade so you can further help her if her health does continue to go down further.
And I’d like to see other images or videos of her as well. As I said before hand take my diagnosis with a grain of salt, but I’m using my personal experience to try give an idea of what it could be.
With all that said I am so sorry for the stresses you’re experiencing, I know how painful it is to see your baby suffering like this. I hope her health will come back stronger than ever once you bring her to the vets and get her what she needs.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's very difficult to tell anything about your budgie's poops when they are mixed in with other cage bottom debris. Perhaps you should remove all their food right before bedtime then lay down the clean paper towels to catch their nighttime poop.
How many budgies share this cage?

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
It's very difficult to tell anything about your budgie's poops when they are mixed in with other cage bottom debris. Perhaps you should remove all their food right before bedtime then lay down the clean paper towels to catch their nighttime poop.
How many budgies share this cage?
just two budgies together. my other is a year old by now and the others about 3-4 months estimate.

I attached the photos of the poop I saw overnight from my blue bird I just got. Her body seems to be trying to poop notmal consistency and then does watery ones (like on the grate), and the sometimes greyish ones (like the one in my finger photo), the other budgie still poops normally based off a seed diet.

Attachments

• 90FB1E36-7EEE-41A0-B320-E62D12CC2FBB.jpeg
    90FB1E36-7EEE-41A0-B320-E62D12CC2FBB.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 35
  • A64709A7-E171-476E-B094-9B11A583E82C.jpeg
    A64709A7-E171-476E-B094-9B11A583E82C.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 33B33622-5F2F-42B4-B742-094D8B5BFF04.jpeg
    33B33622-5F2F-42B4-B742-094D8B5BFF04.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 38
OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
And I’d like to see other images or videos of her as well. As I said before hand take my diagnosis with a grain of salt, but I’m using my personal experience to try give an idea of what it could be.
With all that said I am so sorry for the stresses you’re experiencing, I know how painful it is to see your baby suffering like this. I hope her health will come back stronger than ever once you bring her to the vets and get her what she needs.
I hope so too, it means a lot that both of you are helping me and my budgie birds. Just can't believe she was sick when I got her, she seemed so good and heslthy thefe. They even fed her veggies! She was happy. I was like "She looks healthy and good." Which, btw, I'm struggling to get her to eat veggies, lol. The photos are posted in the thread of her poop session from last night.

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
I hope so too, it means a lot that both of you are helping me and my budgie birds. Just can't believe she was sick when I got her, she seemed so good and heslthy thefe. They even fed her veggies! She was happy. I was like "She looks healthy and good." Which, btw, I'm struggling to get her to eat veggies, lol. The photos are posted in the thread of her poop session from last night.
Budgies tend to have the virus/bacteria dormant in them and when they’re stressed that is when they attack.
When she came home to you she probably became stressed with her immune system becoming impaired, which meant that either the foreign body in her awoke and attacked or your other budgies had a foreign body themselves and passed it onto her, making her sick.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Budgies tend to have the virus/bacteria dormant in them and when they’re stressed that is when they attack.
When she came home to you she probably became stressed with her immune system becoming impaired, which meant that either the foreign body in her awoke and attacked or your other budgies had a foreign body themselves and passed it onto her, making her sick.
What makes the most sense to me is to take your budgie to an avian vet for a checkup.

OP
BudgieBudgieBudgie

BudgieBudgieBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
I have one parakeet.
What makes the most sense to me is to take your budgie to an avian vet for a checkup.
Thank you. I can get her to a vet within 2-3 weeks, the vets often out of town and so I'll have to wait to take them both.

Most Reactions

Latest posts