Green Wing Mac - Regurgitating

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
I recently acquired a GWM from a gentleman who has become terminally ill. I've had Izzy a little over a week now. She has a great personality, was well taken care, decent appetite considering the transition she's in right now, good color, nice plumage, well groomed, active, etc ....

So my issue is ...... since about day 2 she's been regurging in the evenings.

After work each day I open her cage and get her out, interact with her, carry her around, etc .... I have a perch for her that sits next to my Lazy Boy chair. She's on and off the perch back and forth between me and the perch all evening just enjoying her time. Since about the second night I had her she started regurging this "paste-like" matter that is light tan in color. She brings it up in her mouth, then re-chews it and swallows it. She'll do this several time through the evening. Now and then I notice she does drop some on the towel beneath her perch, but not much. I have never noticed any in the bottom of her cage though. Last night she stared doing this only this time it was much runnier in texture. She ended up with three small quarter sized droppings on her floor towel. She never manages to get any on her like it's out of control and she's dirty with it

I've read where Macs will do this if they are bonded with their owner, but I've also read that this can happen if they have some sort of bacterial infection, whether it's in their crop or gut.

So, how do I know whether this is an "Affection" or an "Infection?

Bet yet, ... what do I do?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It's hard to tell at this point in the game whether is affection or infection. :( Only an avian vet would be able to tell you whether she has infact an infection going on, and I certainly hope that's not the case.

I tell you - there's been a LOT of gurgies going on with the Macs around here lately. Even my Niko has been making it a habit each and every time we play on the couch. BUT - he hasn't actually brought anything up for me yet. I can surely smell it though. :rolleyes:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
WeimerHeimer: Both Salsa and Zaffer perform exactly the same regurgitation rituals you've described under similar circumstances - especially when they are near me and feeling rather relaxed. It's a hormonally-driven behavior that many Macaws engage in to express (or offer) affection to another individual (avian or human).

It wouldn't hurt to have your bird assessed by an avian vet, but my guess is there's nothing wrong with her.

OP
WeimerHeimer

WeimerHeimer

Sep 11, 2012
York,PA
Parrots
Finches, Conures, Amazon Parrots, Cockatoos, & Macaws
Ok, thanks Plax & (Wendy). Just been on pins & needles this week. Trying to make sure I'm doing everything right and all. I'll keep tabs on her for sure, give it a little more time.

The regurge does not smell though Wendy. Not sure if that's good or bad ......????

Thanks you two for the input and help!

Stay Tuned!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You must be having SO much fun with the family members. ;)

Well, Niko's gurgies smell of nuts.... :54: ...even though he never brings it all up, I can still smell the nutty scent.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
FWIW, Zaf's regurg is usually either a glob of thick pasty matter, or a mass of solid food/nut pieces which he bites into smaller chunks and swallows again. Salsa's regurg is more often in the form of pieces which he bites into smaller pieces and re-swallows. And either way, each of them frequently drops some of the material.

Jack and Maynard regurg sometimes as well, but certainly not as often as my bigger guys. When they do it, though, they either don't bring anything up or it's such a small amount that I seldom notice any material - mainly just their pumping motions.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Try having this conversations with non bird people. LOL Lupe use to be so grossed out when Mihijo Noble macaw use to regurgitate for her. Mihijo wanted to have eggs with Lupe so bad I had to instruct her how to handle him without further turning him on. One evening he was very quiet so when she went to get him out of the cage she kissed him but he shoved some regurgitate into her mouth. Poor Lupe. She learned to assess as to why he is quiet from then on. She reported it tasted "warm and salty" I was grossed out.

So far my 6 month old RFM does the regurgitate motions but nothing comes up. I will put him back in his tree when he starts up.

I also think Izzy's regurgitation ritual is probably normal but it would not hurt to get her a well bird check up and talk to the vet about your concerns of it being "infection".

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Lupe ran upstairs with Mihijo calmly perched on her hand and she puts him on the perch in the bathroom so she could gargle her mouth out. While she was grossed out cleaning her mouth Mihijo would look at her with love and said over and over..."Hello...Hello....Hello? LMAO. That was a moment no one of us can ever forget. THAT my friends, is parrot love.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WHAT a visual! I'm surprised Lupe made it all the way to the bathroom without regurgitating herself. :eek: Mihijo surely had PERFECT aim. ;) ...and I can just picture Mihijo sitting pretty and proud...hearts shooting from his eyes as he's saying "hello, hello".

Most Reactions

Latest posts