Green Wing Question

Staciej

May 25, 2018
We have a 4 month old green wing and noticed for the past few weeks that she opens her beak and tongue moves like she is panting we can see her chest moving as well like panting and her feet get warm and sometimes her face gets red. She eats extremely well. Her droppings are normal compared to the rest of our flock. Just wondering if this is normal.

822a16e5b52424acc243e955ae86525a.jpg

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Is her tail bobbing when she is perched and standing still?
Do you hear any crackling/wheezing when she breathes?
Does she breathe with her beak closed or open (can she breathe with her beak closed)?
Is there any discharge in/around her nares?
Have you had the rest of your flock tested for diseases?
What does she look like when sleeping/resting?
How is her diet (what is she eating and for how long)?
Did you buy her weaned or wean her yourself?
Have you had her checked by a vet?

Those would be my biggest concerns. Obviously I would take her to a certified avian vet (CAV) and get blood-work and a gram-stain. It could just be baby behavior, but that will depend on your answers to the other questions.

Last edited:
OP
S

Staciej

May 25, 2018
Is her tail bobbing when she is perched and standing still?
Do you hear any crackling/wheezing when she breathes?
Does she breathe with her beak closed or open (can she breathe with her beak closed)?
Is there any discharge in/around her nares?
Have you had the rest of your flock tested for diseases?
What does she look like when sleeping/resting?
How is her diet (what is she eating and for how long)?
Did you buy her weaned or wean her yourself?
Have you had her checked by a vet?

Those would be my biggest concerns. Obviously I would take her to a certified avian vet (CAV) and get blood-work and a gram-stain. It could just be baby behavior, but that will depend on your answers to the other questions.

Thank you for the reply

Her tail does not bob
No noises when breathing
She does breathe with her beak closed
No discharge
They have been tested
She rests sitting on her perch and sleeps with her head on her back.
She eats fresh fruits and vegetables daily, along with a rotation of pellets and Higgins vita seed California blend. She has been weaned for a month.
We weaned her as I worked feeding babies for a breeder.
We havenā€™t found a vet in the area that we trust yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Call the breeder and then get her to a vet. You answered no to the most worrisome questions (yay) but I am not a vet and I haven't raised babies. I do know that sometimes, they can be weaned too early. Is her weight stable?

OP
S

Staciej

May 25, 2018
We let her wean on her own terms. Her weight is stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spirbuaw1

Oct 3, 2018
Media
Cheney
Parrots
1 male Buffon macaw named Stan, approximately 19 years old, 1 female Ecuadorian Buffon macaw named Wendy, any where between 12-15 years old and one adorable male ekkie named McGee, 11, years old
Iā€™m by far no expert but I do have a Buffon and an Ecuadorian Buffon, and they are blushers, the blush look are tinie tiny red feathers that they fan air through giving the appearance of a red face, the militaria does this 2 but does not display like the Buffon and Ecuadorian Buffon,,,,the only reason why I offer this info is you fid has lower body feathers like mine and a small spare feathering around the nasal area, I can a little there unlike my birds that wear it like a head band,,,,given all the other advice 1. Check with the vet to ease your mind and 2. Itā€™s probably just your bird blushing,,,,ps the older my 2 buffons get the deeper and more red their blush gets,,,,,and I LUV THE BLUSH but Iā€™m nuts for buffons
Good luck itā€™s all a journey

Most Reactions