Green wing Screams to be picked up

Leteasophi13

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
Green wing macaw
Hi! So I’m new here but not new to birds. My first macaw I just got 6 days ago today and he’s incredibly bonded to me and has been since day one. His name is Carlos, (not dna tested) and is about 12 years old. He’s been really great so far but I have noticed when I put him on top of his aviary/cage to go do something he will SCREAM bloody murder. He’s extremely cuddly with me but not my partner (who is admittedly scared of him even though he know him 5 years ago) which I didn’t expect so quickly.
I’ve noticed when he’s screaming if I walk over to talk to him or see if he’s ok he just wants to be picked up. Puts out his cute little foot and wags it. I walk away sometimes but he will scream (loud enough for my watch to tell me I’m in a loud environment) over and over again. Today I had to end up giving him a couple time outs under the blanket to get him to settle and relax a little.

My question is this.
He’s new to me and I to him but I don’t want to encourage him screaming equals being picked up. I’ve read here that giving any attention is still attention but how can I curb this or train him to use a different cue?

Thanks y’all
Photo of my love for eye candy

Attachments

• IMG_6531.jpeg
    IMG_6531.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 16

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thats right , your teaching him to scream for attention.
When my 'zon goes on a screaming jag, I whisper to him, which causes a full stop! Or try interesting him in a toy, thats more heathy then screaming.

OP
Leteasophi13

Leteasophi13

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
Green wing macaw
Thats right , your teaching him to scream for attention.
When my 'zon goes on a screaming jag, I whisper to him, which causes a full stop! Or try interesting him in a toy, thats more heathy then screaming.
Yeah I’ve tried both. So far the only thing that makes him stop screaming is to put him in his aviary… no more than 5 mins at a time. He’s freely allowed out when someone’s home and thankfully with mine and my partners schedule he’s only alone for 5 hours a day. This is like the fourth time he’s been rehomed, and I think he’s just scared that he’s going to be left behind again. Of course I would never do that and it’s going to take time for him to adjust but he definitely loves me and I love him back.

The funny part is that he will scream for attention when I am home, but if I leave for work and my partner comes home and let him out. He doesn’t scream at all. It’s like he’s only triggered by seeing me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts