Green with a hint of red

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Aww, how gorgeous are they!? Seriously Ash, you have THE most adorable flock!! I too am surprised at the difference between the alexandrines and indian ring necks - I thought they were a bit closer in size. They look like they're all good buddies - do they share their cage/perch setup?

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Yuki, Alex and Kikorangi share the same cage/perch setup. Some days Flynn joins them. Flynn loves to sneak away from his cage/perch to just to get to Alex, Yuki and Kikorangi. I was thinking of letting them stay together. I wasn't too sure about letting Flynn stay with them as he is from a different bird family/species. And there beaks are bigger than Flynn's. They have never bitten each other before. But I would rather be safe than sorry.

Flynn's setup is near Yuki, Alex's and Kikos. He can see them. And still be close to them. Sometimes Alex throws Flynn toys. It's super cute :p

There is quite a size difference between the two. I also thought they were closer in size but when I got Kiko I thought he was tiny :p

And thank you :D

Last edited:

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
how cute!!!!!! I love them all together on your arm!! What an amazing little flock you have!!!

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
Hi Ash

At that age the male Alex chew urge is insatiable. I buy untreated pine lumber from the DIY store, cut it into chunks about the size of TV remote drill them through and hang them. They cost about 20p/40c each

He can chew about 5 of those into splinters in one sitting...but once he's done he won't wreck his toys or the perch..or the house haha

Great pictures...Alex looks really close to getting his ring

Coral - I've never had an issue with eye level between me and the birds....but between the two birds it causes chaos all the time.

OP
Ash

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Haha yes he chews everything. And thanks I think I will get some untreated pine lumber.

He is getting his ring. By this moult it should come in : D
He got some pink feathers.

And thank you all : D

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
ur birds are beautiful. i had forgotten how much bigger the alex's are then irn's. i used to have 1 of each (both female). they were really smart birds, both free flying. fortunately fir them but not fir me, one of neighbours also had free flying burds and they both found a m8. as mist children do when they find a partner, they left home.
i recently (3days ago) was given an 11 week old alex by my fiance. i love alex's, they are adorable. my baby's name is Oxy

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
LOVE your photos - especially the first one of the 4 of them after a bath. cant wait till its warmer weather and i can bath my Midori. i hadnt planned on getting another alex, but after seeing you with your clan, maybe i should.... i was warned by my vet that alexes and irns are aggressive with each other, and that they can interbreed. have you found this to be so? my mums irns have had 3 babies, and i was thinking of taking one so i can raise midori with this other one, which will only be 3 weeks younger than him?

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
Nice flock:D Love the blue colour on the ringneck. Never new Alex's were so much bigger then ringnecks!
Now I know my neighbours have ring necks because of that video you posted of one calling:) (the neighbours birds call like that all the time)
Mike.

Most Reactions