Grouchy bird

xblade

Jun 13, 2010
Calgary-Alberta-Canada
Parrots
Indian Ring-Neck
We've had Shyla for about a year now..She recently started being quite grumpy and very nippy.Doesn't want to come out to play and she is down right tempermental.
I'm pretty sure it's just the time of year,being spring and all.
My question is ,how long will it last?And is there anything we should be doing differently?This is really the first time we have experianced this type of behavior.Except for when we first got her.
Thnx in advance
Doug

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
First of all have you had her to an avain vet for an exam? This should be done once per year of no issues found. Then I ask you is she getting enough sleep? Best if she is getting 12 hrs. quallity sleep with no tv or music running in the same room. They do go through cage agression and my vet said it will pass. My bird is doing this now. Is he getting adequate nutrition? Pellets and lots of fresh foods and vegies. Are you letting her out of cage for time with her flock? Yes, it is harmonal time but I hate to blame everything on that. Since she is around 1 yr. she is most likely entering into the molting stage of her life. Have you noticed feathers on bottom of cage? So you see there are lots of things to look at on this issue. good luck

OP
xblade

xblade

Jun 13, 2010
Calgary-Alberta-Canada
Parrots
Indian Ring-Neck
yes,she has been to the vet twice...once when we got her and again about a month ago.Clean bill of health both times.
We feed our birds Harrisons pellets and fresh veg and fruit daily,along with seed 2 or 3 times a week.We let her out quite a bit...In the morning for an hour or so before work.And then in the evening she gets tons of attention and interaction with the "flock".She is 3 years old now,but we have only had her a year.
Right now both birds are in the living room where the TV is..We cover them at night,but maybe thats not good enough.It was always lights out at 9:30 or so before kids got out of school.But they are up later now.(I never thought of that)I'll try putting her in her travel cage at night and place it in a nice dark and quiet place and see if that helps.
Thnx for the reply :) If it is just hormones...How long does it last?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It most likely is the lack of quite time and sleep.

Birds hormonal cycles are controlled by day length. The days are getting longer in nature, but with the kids out of school it sounds like they're getting longer in the home as well.

The best thing you can do is reverse this: make sure the birds are covered and go to bed at a good hour and left in peace (or they'll leave you in pieces :D).

How long does it last? It can vary a lot, several weeks, maybe a couple months. But getting back to a shorter day cycle will drastically shorten this phase.

Perhaps there is somewhere better for them than the TV room if the kids want to stay up watching.

OP
xblade

xblade

Jun 13, 2010
Calgary-Alberta-Canada
Parrots
Indian Ring-Neck
Thank you for the response..I'll have to do something.Maybe put the big tv downstairs.I could put the birds down there ,but then they won't be around the action during the day.So I don't want to do that.
I'll figure something out.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Try placing the birds, perhaps in your bedroom.
Mishka my AG was also in the lounge, started playing up, and we suspected her sleep was being disturbed.
Since being in my bedroom, in a smaller cage, everyone is happy

SunnyChic

Jun 15, 2010
Central Florida
Parrots
Trixie, a Congo African Grey
Try placing the birds, perhaps in your bedroom.
Mishka my AG was also in the lounge, started playing up, and we suspected her sleep was being disturbed.
Since being in my bedroom, in a smaller cage, everyone is happy

Does that mean you have two cages for Mishka?

OP
xblade

xblade

Jun 13, 2010
Calgary-Alberta-Canada
Parrots
Indian Ring-Neck
Pretty sure she meant using a smaller 2nd cage in the bedroom as a sleep cage.

I'm going to start this tonight.See how it goes.

genevieve

Jan 3, 2010
Northern Virginia
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot
I think Alcatraz was grumpy for about three weeks this spring. I still tried to spend time with him, but didn't hold him unless he insisted.

Now the poor guy is a little grumpy again because he is molting and adjusting to a second cage (I'm spending weekdays in one place and weekends in another). But he is handling this much, much better.

OP
xblade

xblade

Jun 13, 2010
Calgary-Alberta-Canada
Parrots
Indian Ring-Neck
Well ,she's been getting 12 hours sleep a night in our room for 4 days now..We've been putting her to bed in her travel cage at about 8:00..Right after some play time..She seems way more happy in the morning.Singing and talking up a storm. :) Still a little grumpy,but much better.
Seems like proper sleep was what she needed...(something I neglected to think of)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I wish I could blame lack of sleep and/or hormones on Max's mood. I guess he was just born a grouch...we should have named him Oscar. But we love him and wouldn't trade him for anything.

OP
xblade

xblade

Jun 13, 2010
Calgary-Alberta-Canada
Parrots
Indian Ring-Neck
1 more :)

June10016.jpg

She almost looks a little evil here :p

Most Reactions

Latest posts