Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
....I just opened Amy's front door..I turned my back for a MINUTE and she made a BEELINE for BB's house!!!!! WT* is up with this bird?????

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Stubbornness! Extreme fixation on BB!

Not sure if you've mentioned, but does Amy seem attracted, ahem, extremely attracted to BB and attempt to mate in full view? Or engage in other suggestive behaviors?

I ask because we know parrots will try to mate with inanimate objects such as toys, so interest in a wildly different species doesn't seem bizarre.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I would agree Scott but Mr Amy does it when BB isn't even in his house

maybe Amy wants to hook up with the cage?

Clearly the easiest option is to become fluent in Zon and ask Amy himself why

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
Very strange...

Just out of curiosity, what is your response when Amy does this?

Could this potentially be an action that now gets Amy attention (albeit negative attention) so now he does it partially for that reason?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Very strange...

Could this potentially be an action that now gets Amy attention (albeit negative attention) so now he does it partially for that reason?

that's exactly the thought I have

especially considering when BB wasn't well and needed some extra time for medicine

bit of older brother style attention seeking is my theory and of course getting attention from Jim when he gets on the cage will add to the want to be there as it's clearly working!

At least we know Amy is getting a good load of exercise!

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
So....Amy is a guy bird?....ok, that's fine. Oh, hold on,Amy is a guy bird who is in love with a cage?.... Right...(sighs)

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Stubbornness! Extreme fixation on BB!

Not sure if you've mentioned, but does Amy seem attracted, ahem, extremely attracted to BB and attempt to mate in full view? Or engage in other suggestive behaviors?

I ask because we know parrots will try to mate with inanimate objects such as toys, so interest in a wildly different species doesn't seem bizarre.

No Scott..BB can be with me and Amy will still run to his house.
She doesn't seem to be "attracted" to him...she just hangs on his roof and destroy HIS toys,or help herself to HIS grub,if there is a plate there.

I've seen poor Beebs hide inside his tidy bowl feeder if he happens to be in his house at the time. If he is on his roof and she comes-a-knockin' he'll climb down and run after me,and Amy will just sit there taking in the view.

Amy wasn't like this when BB first came along either,or when Smokey owned the house..maybe coz Smokes didn't put up with any of Amy's BS and bit her toes once..maybe if BB did that,Amy would think twice.

This is an EVERYDAY thing now..and not just once or twice. I have never seen her climb down her shingles and run so fast to get there..she's on fast/determined/doesn't take NO for an answer type of bird! :mad:

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Very strange...

I yell at her and give her time-out in her house and leave her be for a bit...then go back and open her front door..and she is right back at it.

If I get her to step up on her perch stick and bring her into this room,she is very content to hang out on her chair and watch you tube vids with me.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

So....Amy is a guy bird?....ok, that's fine. Oh, hold on,Amy is a guy bird who is in love with a cage?.... Right...(sighs)

Yes...Amy is a 28 year old male..I always thought Amy was a SHE..until I had "her" DNA'd a couple years back..so imagine MY surprise!
I just refer to Amy as a "she" coz I've been doing it for 28 years and its a hard habit to break :rolleyes: And YES...she has a thing for little BB's (cockatiel) house..for some very strange reason.
Amy has never shown any interest in it until AFTER BB came along.
BB has been with us now about 1.7 years.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Maybe give up... get BB a new house and let Amy have it as a play stand?

Unfortunately there isn't enough room in the living room for another house.

Jim

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
If Beebs is with you and Amy is permitted to sit on top of the cage, is she content there?

I'm just thinking, if it is an attention thing then being on the cage without any attention from you would not satisfy her desire to be on top of the cage. So then some other attention-seeking behavior would likely follow, if I'm thinking along the lines of a Zon brain...

But the fact that she is content with you in another room, makes me wonder if it is because she is getting the attention she wants from you or if it is more of an out-of-sight, out-of-mind type deal.

I'm sure it is frustrating though. Mav has been on a screaming kick this week. We were out of town for 8 days and got back this weekend, so I'm pretty sure it is punitive. But it drives me crazy to wait patiently for him to stop screaming so I can go get him and reward and resume whatever I'm doing.

They drive us crazy with their stubborn little brains!!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

If Beebs is with you and Amy is permitted to sit on top of the cage, is she content there?

I'm just thinking, if it is an attention thing then being on the cage without any attention from you would not satisfy her desire to be on top of the cage. So then some other attention-seeking behavior would likely follow, if I'm thinking along the lines of a Zon brain...

But the fact that she is content with you in another room, makes me wonder if it is because she is getting the attention she wants from you or if it is more of an out-of-sight, out-of-mind type deal.

I'm sure it is frustrating though. Mav has been on a screaming kick this week. We were out of town for 8 days and got back this weekend, so I'm pretty sure it is punitive. But it drives me crazy to wait patiently for him to stop screaming so I can go get him and reward and resume whatever I'm doing.

They drive us crazy with their stubborn little brains!!

I haven't tried just letting her "sit" there while Beebs is with me..I dunno probably just the thought of her up there no matter what P.M.O. lol..
But I guess I'll cave in the next time Beebs is with me and Amy decides to check out his digs again..you could be right,we'll see :rolleyes:

Jim

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I'm no expert but has something happened before this that might have caused this obsession. If you continue doing what your doing then you will keep getting what you are getting so what if you changed the look or orientation of the cage. Would Amy still go for it if it was covered with a cloth or something when she is out. Perhaps a temporary screen that would take it out of sight for a while.

Doing something for a while to break the cycle suggests itself to me.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I'm no expert but has something happened before this that might have caused this obsession. If you continue doing what your doing then you will keep getting what you are getting so what if you changed the look or orientation of the cage. Would Amy still go for it if it was covered with a cloth or something when she is out. Perhaps a temporary screen that would take it out of sight for a while.

Doing something for a while to break the cycle suggests itself to me.

BB's house sits on the floor. I even raised it about 1.5 feet,by putting Beebs house on a hassic (foot rest thingie) and Amy managed "somehow" to even climb the hassic to get on Beebers roof.
Amy is a very determined Amazon when she wants to be.
The next time they are both out,I'll take BB with me and see if amy goes for his house again. I'll TRY not to get all :mad: :mad: at her and leave her be,and watch closely what she does next.
I'll betcha a beer she climbs INSIDE his digs,chews his toys,helps herself to his grub,then falls asleep on his swing lol.
Maybe i'll even try and get her on video!

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
I yell at her and give her time-out in her house and leave her be for a bit...then go back and open her front door..and she is right back at it.

If I get her to step up on her perch stick and bring her into this room,she is very content to hang out on her chair and watch you tube vids with me.

Jim

Sounds like a fun game jim! Amy gets on the cage and then you suddenly appear flailing and making lots of fun noise! Then He gets put in his nice house filled with toys! I like the idea of this game myself

Then when you bring her with you, well you're already there! BB's cage is almost like a button for fun, fuss and noise!

Time to get stubborn and keep your butt planted in the chair

Most Reactions

Latest posts