Guess the sex of the grey

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
My partner immediately said male and the shop owner where we got him groomed immediately said girl.

We had him DNA'd while we were at the shop so we should have the results in about a week.

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
And in case anyone is wondering this is him in his home environment. We're shopping for a new cage and the bell he loves is being replaced with a stainless tube bell.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Looks like a boy to me.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I say male! Whatever gender it turns out to be, that is a beautiful grey! I love the last photo, 'What did you say?'

OP
thekarens

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I say male! Whatever gender it turns out to be, that is a beautiful grey! I love the last photo, 'What did you say?'

S/he was not at all pleased with the photo taking [emoji5]

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Id have to be around him or her . At my house the Toos let us know what the gender is [and the have been right :)].

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Karen, my immediate response when I saw the pic was male. Then I read the other replies :).

"He" is extremely pretty. I love the darker than usual shade for a Congo.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have a Grey I've had since he was a baby and he was DNA'd in his clutch and determined to be a male. My vet (an experienced avian vet who has seen lots of Greys) swore he was a female, due to markings and other features. So, I DNA'd him again a few years later, thinking maybe the DNA tests of the clutch mates got mixed up or something. This time I used blood instead of the feather, and once again he is determined to be a male. But, I still look at him with the probability that both tests were wrong. I wouldn't think so, but I suppose it could happen. My Grey is marked like a female but is one of the largest Greys I've ever seen.
I can't wait for your results. I'm hoping it's a girl. Good luck!

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I'm going to guess female to balance things out. ;)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I will say female...no reason, just cause:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'd guess male.

Most Reactions