onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Many people do potty train their parrots! I personally choose not to because I find the mess easy to clean and not worth the effort. I also don’t want to teach my bird to hold it in case she isn’t able to get to a trained potty area.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
From what I've heard, potty training birds can be difficult. Not impossible but just not super easy. My conure Birdie does poop on command, so I usually hold her over a trash bin and ask her to poop when I take her out, but she doesn't hold it after that so she'll still eventually poop on the couch lol. It seems like the guide you linked acknowledges that.

I think as long as you understand that it's not good to train your bird to hold it, and that birds instinctively poop before flight and will poop sometimes outside of designated poop areas or not on command, it's a good idea :)

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This is what I do with my birds.
First I see how often they poo. My tiel Shifty does it every 30 minutes or so. So every 30 minutes I take him to the spot and say the magic phrase. I won't let him back until he poops and I praise him when he does.
Of course there are times when I forget and he will still poop on the floor, sofa or anywhere else. But lucky cockatiels have tidy little poops that are easy to clean, lorikeets are very messy as they eat heaps of fruits.

Most Reactions

Latest posts