Hahns Macaw Cage Suggestions

abaddon879

Feb 28, 2012
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw - Solo
Hi,

This weekend I purchased a Hahns Macaw from a local pet shop, but the cage they supplied seems very small to me - it is roughly 16" x 24" x 24".
I desperately want to get a different cage for Solo, but this being my first bird I am not entirely sure how much room would be recommended for him?

I have read that the minimum cage size would be something like 24" x 24" x 24", but I find this hard to believe watching him climb around his cage. He definitely wants more room, and I am inclined to give him it.

I have read a lot about the bar spacing, and everywhere says that 5/8"-3/4" is the most you should go. A lot of the cages that I see suggested as suitable for small macaws are around 1" however, and I am struggling to find a nice cage that will give him enough room to move around, but not put him at risk due to the bar spacing.

Does anyone have any recommendations of cages/suppliers who will deliver in the UK? I am looking around the £200 range.

Last edited:

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
The rule of thumb is as big as you can get. Think of a Hahns macaw as a regular full size macaw. They can stand up to a 1 inch bar spacing.

I would do a minimum of 36x32x 63 (or abouts) WITHOUT a playtop. Make that as much interior cage space as you can.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm a bit hesitant about 1" bar spacing. I believe a Hahn's is the smallest macaw, and about 12" long. That puts it about the same size as my conure. I think I would be afraid to give her 1". But, they are active little things like conures, so try to find the biggest cage you can with the smaller bar spacing. I'm sorry I can't advise about UK suppliers.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
My ex has a Severe, I'm not exactly sure about the difference in size between a Hahns and a Severe, but i know the Severe could stand up to a 1" bar spacin. I thought a Hahns was more about the size of a Gray? I could be wrong :D Again I'm more use to Severes.

OP
A

abaddon879

Feb 28, 2012
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw - Solo
Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
A Severe is quite a bit larger. The Hahn's is about the same size as a Sun/Nanday conure. I'm sitting here looking at her and I think she could get her head stuck in the 1".

Also if you have a cat, the smaller the better. A cat can easily reach through 1".

There are quite a few cages you can buy in the US with the smaller spacing. I wonder if any of those brands are sold in the UK? A&E have some as well as King's.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think the last one would be great, but it is pricey. Are there any dealers of A&E or King's there?

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
I do like that last one you posted the best.

Silly mini macaws.. Personality of a big one, but fun size. :D

OP
A

abaddon879

Feb 28, 2012
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw - Solo
I'm sitting here looking at her and I think she could get her head stuck in the 1".

Also if you have a cat, the smaller the better. A cat can easily reach through 1".

There are quite a few cages you can buy in the US with the smaller spacing. I wonder if any of those brands are sold in the UK? A&E have some as well as King's.
I don't have a cat to worry about, so no worries there, more just the safety of little Solo to be concerned with. He is currently quite keen to try and nip you through the bars, so I have a feeling he would get stuck if he was to try with larger bars.

I have looked but unfortunately cannot find any dealers of A&E cages in the UK. I found some King's but they are almost double the price of those I have been looking at.

I do like that last one you posted the best.

Silly mini macaws.. Personality of a big one, but fun size. :D
I am quite tempted by the last one I must say. It seems to fit the criteria nicely.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That's too bad on the King's cages because here they are very reasonable. But, I suppose it's the shipping to the UK that tacks on the big price tag there. I have some of the same issues having a British motorcycle. I see all kinds of accessories I like that are in the UK, but getting them to me makes them not worth buying.

I do think you would be happy with the last cage. Do you have any big chain pet stores like Pet Supplies Plus, Petco or Petsmart? If so, you might look at their websites because they can order things for you that aren't in the stores.

OP
A

abaddon879

Feb 28, 2012
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw - Solo
That's too bad on the King's cages because here they are very reasonable. But, I suppose it's the shipping to the UK that tacks on the big price tag there. I have some of the same issues having a British motorcycle. I see all kinds of accessories I like that are in the UK, but getting them to me makes them not worth buying.

I do think you would be happy with the last cage. Do you have any big chain pet stores like Pet Supplies Plus, Petco or Petsmart? If so, you might look at their websites because they can order things for you that aren't in the stores.
Yeah I guess so. I really do like the look of those King's cages, but I'm not sure I can afford to spend the same I paid for Solo on his cage. It would tip it a bit far I think, as he requires a new bunch of toys and such to fill the cage as well. I think I would be better spending the extra on toys.

I have looked at Pets At Home website but they do not appear to sell anything for birds other than food and toys. Quite frustrating.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I know we have members here from the UK, and I'm trying to think of who you might ask. I know wenz is. That might not be her whole user name though. I know someone else here who posts a lot is as well, but I'm having a brain fart on who that is.

Have you looked on ebay at all to see what people there might have?

Ok wenz2712 is in the UK and maybe could help. Try sending a PM. I still can't remember which other member who posts a lot is there as well.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
50 pounds is a lot of savings to buy toys and perches with. I say go for it! It looks like it's about the exact same size as the other one we liked.

OP
A

abaddon879

Feb 28, 2012
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw - Solo
I have asked a few other retailers if they will price match it so I have the choice of green, antique or stone. Fingers crossed I can get this ordered tomorrow and then start preparing a load of toys for Solo!

aleigh

Feb 29, 2012
Just thought I would let you know that I have had my Hahns for over ten years since he was tiny, and he has always had bars with 1" spacing. The cage he came from the pet shop in had 1" spacing also. He moves about with ease and has never come anywhere close to fitting his head through the bars.

Hope that helps to reassure you.

Also, his cage is 50"x34"x21" (not including the stand) and he only ever uses the top third of it.

Last edited:
OP
A

abaddon879

Feb 28, 2012
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw - Solo
I have found these two cages that also look similar

Ashwell 3 Bird Cage - good size and bar spacing, however it looks a little flimsy to me, especially at the price.

Adelaide Parrot Bird Cage - this was reccommended to me as a good cage. It is a little smaller, but also comes with a play top and storage.

Would little Solo benefit more from the extra room in his cage:
L69xH169xW61cm (Adelaide)
or
L90xH166xW70cm (Miami)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hi Dave,

As you know I have the Adelaide cage for my Yellow Crowned Amazon, which is bigger than a Hanns and it is a brill cage... Loads of room inside.. you can have the playtop on or off... Really sturdy locks... Its a very well made and VERY Heavy Cage ... This is a cage I would personally recommend to anyone :D

Most Reactions