Hahn's Macaw swollen vent

dodobird

Feb 17, 2013
Hello, my 10 month old Hahn's doesn't look quite right. Her vent looks swollen and it's not clean. Also the are just above her vent towards the chest looks swollen. I think she's unwell. Any suggestions? I'm planning to wait till Monday to see how she goes.
Thanks

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
I persnally would not wait. Birds do not act as if they are sick until it is too late. If you do not have an Avian vet I would be looking one up and bringing your baby in tomorrow not Monday. i too have a Hahns. She is eight months old. Awhile back when we first got her she developed an upper respiratory infection. She did not act sick, just her voice changed. I took some bad information from someone that told me she was fine, and waited a couple of days instead of listening to my gut. Within the little vit of timeI waited, she was now wheazing. I had a $450 vet bill but more than that another day she would have been dead and again she never acted sick. Please bring her right in.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Respiratory symptoms can progress very quickly. Get to the vet ASAP.

Unless you have no vet, then you're stuck.

OP
D

dodobird

Feb 17, 2013
The only vets I can find at this stage on a weekend are not Avian.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you would post where your located, maybe we can help you further to direct you to a avian vet that you don't know about.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I wouldn't wait until Monday to see an AV if at all possible. How is she behaving? Where is she sitting in her cage? I'm not an expert on macaws and when they reach sexual maturity and so on, but I'd be concerned that she's eggbound - which is extremely dangerous and possibly fatal. My friend's fid just died as a result of being eggbound :(

OP
D

dodobird

Feb 17, 2013
Hi,
Sorry for the lack of detail. I'm in Sydney, Australia. She is still active and eating. Doesn't seem too down. I can hear her breathing though, a faint clicking sound.

OP
D

dodobird

Feb 17, 2013
How old does a Hahns need to be to lay an egg? At 10 months I would've thought she's too young.

OP
D

dodobird

Feb 17, 2013
Thanks for the link MikeyTN. I've looked at a few of those and they're closed for Sunday. Some are very far away so I haven't checked them all out.

OP
D

dodobird

Feb 17, 2013
I would say she appears better today. My daughter put her ear to her to listen to her breathing and Jess said "Step up" which made us all laugh. She wasn't talking yesterday but is saying a few things today

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
She still needs to see a vet. Hahnna seemed better but she was very sick with a respirator and had I not taken her she would have been dead.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like it's been said, it would be wise for you to still take your baby to see a vet just to be sure everything is ok. It never hurts to be sure!

Most Reactions