Half moon conures!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey y’all. Any half moon conure owners here? It’s me again, the crazy lady who has probably visited every parrot available in the Seattle metro area!

IMG_0860.jpeg

I have never had a conure! I’ve only had an Amazon, a cockatiel, a budgie when I was seven years old (thirty years ago, wow!) and a timneh African grey I rescued in college. This little sir/ma’am has been looking for a new home for some time. The red rump parakeet we visited did not seem to care for us much, sadly. This little lady/fella however takes treats from me and from my kids (but only from her cage). She is not hand tame but is interested in people. She’s been at the store for a while now.

I have read half moons can be aggressive but I haven’t seen this behavior in this bird; but she’s 9-10mo old so it’s possible she isn’t mature enough for that to be an issue. I would love to hear from anyone here who has half moon experience, especially if you’ve got other larger birds. We wouldn’t let them have shared “out” time, but I am a little worried if she’ll fly to his cage to pick fights. She or he seems very timid so I hope that’s unlikely.

JinPicaJest

May 12, 2023
Parrots
Jingo - Cinnamon GCC
Picasso - Pineapple GCC
Court Jester - BCC
I wish I had experience with half moons, as they are one of my dream birds, but I don't have one. Good talkers, I understand, and tend to be a big parrot personality in a smaller body. I'd say go for it - and hugely applaud your caution about having vastly different sized birds out of cages together. Report back when you have him/her!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I wish I had experience with half moons, as they are one of my dream birds, but I don't have one. Good talkers, I understand, and tend to be a big parrot personality in a smaller body. I'd say go for it - and hugely applaud your caution about having vastly different sized birds out of cages together. Report back when you have him/her!

I wish I had your confidence!

My dream bird is another timneh! But I don’t think a timneh would do well with kids, and they’re very hard to find. I am looking at smaller birds as my current Amazon, his highness Kirby, has shown great patience and restraint with the smaller birds at fly day and has not been offended when they sit with me.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The problem with generic descriptions of temperament is that you have no idea if that reputation is based on the writer's own experience with one individual (most likely) or is an average compiled by responsible parties to arrive at that conclusion. Aggression, as we know, can be fueled by many different inputs, some are natural, as in mating season aggression, and some are from external stimula, like poor or bad living conditions, diet, handling etc. And some individuals are just plain grumpy!

Salty's species is noted as being mild tempered (compared to the Hot 3) to the males turning aggressive past puberty. I believe none of it. He is both a sweet heart at times and pretty bitey too, when he doesn't get his way.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I've adored half moons since I was a kid, and they were my bucket list bird for ages, (along with a grey, a hyacinth, and a galah) but I had never actually met one. I finally had the pleasure a few months back, and he was the sweetest little guy ever, and so stinking cute! Again, like many of the good ones, I would have taken him home right then and there if my situation was different. He didn't last more than a few days before someone scooped him up, and I'm sure he'll be an amazing companion for whoever was lucky enough to adopt him. :)

Last edited:

JinPicaJest

May 12, 2023
Parrots
Jingo - Cinnamon GCC
Picasso - Pineapple GCC
Court Jester - BCC
I follow Buddy the Musical Half Moon Conure on Facebook, and he is so cute and full of sweet antics. (I'm not affiliated with Buddy in any way.)

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I follow Buddy the Musical Half Moon Conure on Facebook, and he is so cute and full of sweet antics. (I'm not affiliated with Buddy in any way.)

I’ll have to look them up!

Thanks for the responses all. I am so nervous about getting another bird; we have had some crazy pet experiences lately that have left me feeling less than confident in my decision making ability, lol. I’m going to keep visiting with her, and I’ll keep you updated.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Figured I’d update here!

Lua did not take kindly to Kirby, haha. A lot of shouting and contact calling when we had him in his pak o bird where she could see him. After discussing with the employees we all agreed she needs a lower stress home, maybe with only other small birds. We ended up putting a deposit on a baby dusky conure who took one look at Kirby and took a nap, and whom he did the same to!

Lua will find a good home, I am confident. But to give her better chances I’m going to talk her up to everyone! If anyone wants a half moon who needs a home and is near the Seattle Metro area, she’s at Denise’s Parrot Place.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Figured I’d update here!

Lua did not take kindly to Kirby, haha. A lot of shouting and contact calling when we had him in his pak o bird where she could see him. After discussing with the employees we all agreed she needs a lower stress home, maybe with only other small birds. We ended up putting a deposit on a baby dusky conure who took one look at Kirby and took a nap, and whom he did the same to!

Lua will find a good home, I am confident. But to give her better chances I’m going to talk her up to everyone! If anyone wants a half moon who needs a home and is near the Seattle Metro area, she’s at Denise’s Parrot Place.
I wish my bird store would allow this!! They don't allow trying to introduce your bird to store birds because they are worried about disease transfer.

Congrats on the new dusky!! Glad you found a good fit. I adore Dusky Conures. My local shop has some now and it is so tempting!!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I wish my bird store would allow this!! They don't allow trying to introduce your bird to store birds because they are worried about disease transfer.

Congrats on the new dusky!! Glad you found a good fit. I adore Dusky Conures. My local shop has some now and it is so tempting!!

Oh, they do boarding also so they already have Kirby’s medical info and disease testing/CBC/etc! Otherwise they don’t allow it either. The store owner knows I am really obsessive about his health so he made an exception. It is something you can arrange on a case by case basis.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Figured I’d update here!

Being I am in southern Oregon I am much closer to you than before (stalker much?).
Unfortunately it’s 6 hours one way according to google maps.
I was giving serious thought about the RLA in your area that was looking for a new home.
My drive up here was 11.5 hours and it destroyed my back.
Another 12 hours on the road there and back …….
But these thoughts once planted in the old grey matter (and in the ❤️) don’t go away quickly.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Being I am in southern Oregon I am much closer to you than before (stalker much?).
Unfortunately it’s 6 hours one way according to google maps.
I was giving serious thought about the RLA in your area that was looking for a new home.
My drive up here was 11.5 hours and it destroyed my back.
Another 12 hours on the road there and back …….
But these thoughts once planted in the old grey matter (and in the ❤️) don’t go away quickly.

Oh hey! Welcome to the PNW!! Yeah, the drive stinks. I can barely make it from Seattle to Portland without my brain melting.

The red lored Amazon is with a private owner who is very particular about who he’ll rehome to - but there’s an incredibly sweet blue front named ET who is female, in her 40s, and also looking for a home.

If you ever decide to come up here for any reason, do it on a day when Fly Day is happening! The blue front has come to every fly day so far, and she even likes Kirby and steps up for strangers. We said no because I’m determined to be a one big bird household - I am just not organized enough to do more. But Denise’s has the half moon, Inca’s Secret (also Seattle area) often gets amazons for rehome, and then of course there are the privately owned ones like Buddy the red lored and ET the blue front. :)

Buddy’s current owner is a Fly day regular but hasn’t been able to make it out recently - but he may show up with Buddy at some point hopefully soon! Buddy is a rescue he’s housing for someone else I believe who couldn’t keep him. He does a lot of rescue work in our area and he also makes a killer frozen chop mix that they sell at one of the local parrot stores! He’s a great guy.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I love that store so much! It's the first place I ever got to work with training ringnecks! :) They were SO helpful before I got Cotton and spent literal hours with me talking and demonstrating differences in working with ringnecks compared to the conures and Quakers etc. So awesome.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I love that store so much! It's the first place I ever got to work with training ringnecks! :) They were SO helpful before I got Cotton and spent literal hours with me talking and demonstrating differences in working with ringnecks compared to the conures and Quakers etc. So awesome.

Do you mean Denise’s or Inca’s? I love them both, I actually went to both today and just about drained my EV battery to nothing, lol!

Decided the cage I got a great deal on was too small and was checking out what they had in store but ended up ordering a 32inx20inx64in online for them; dusky seem so active and curious and I don’t want him or her to ever feel bored or frustrated if they can’t be with me or out because I’m running an errand!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts