Halloween Toys and Decorating cage

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
Where can I find cool Halloween toys for the birds and also I've been thinking about decorating the Red Bellies cages for Halloween with bird safe materials since they're out on the lanai during the day, indoors at night.

Any idea where I can find the toys and if you have any decorating ideas for the cages please throw them this way!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Halloween is considered a fad holiday i.e., with the exception of the basics, what is hot this year is old hat two years from now. Therefore, what suppliers create have one chance to be sold for a profit and what is leftover is trashed. The majority of what is available is targeted to a single price point: Cheap! This results in the supplies used having very open specifications.

What hits the market is flashed, sold and trashed. Government oversight is limited to month sized objects (children) and little more since the exposure time is limited to a few hours. Since parrots month everything, Halloween decorations IMHO should rarely be considered bird safe. The only exception would be that they are made from standard, commonly supplied (year around) toys in which you select parts from to create a seasonal toy or two.

Not all parrots are open to extensive short term changes to their world. Some could care less, far more freak-out. Only you know what kind of reaction your parrot will have based on several years of different parts of your home changing to specific seasons and holidays.

Based on the above, a manufacturer of bird safe toys is not going to invest in Halloween based toys. The market is too small and the season too specific (fad based).

Visit your local bird toy supplier and target toys that you can recreate into seasonal toys for your parrots. If you are not creating new toys from older toys you're not having enough fun! :D

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I would say maybe dye some popcicle sticks or wood orange and black? Maybe shred some construction paper too! Stuff some tissue boxes with tissue paper and treats? Maybe even some pumpkin "cookies" for the fids! I like wrapping stuff in coffee filters, so maybe you can make some spooky ghosts!

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Things for Wings has some and probably other online shops :)

OP
MyFlock

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
I would say maybe dye some popcicle sticks or wood orange and black? Maybe shred some construction paper too! Stuff some tissue boxes with tissue paper and treats? Maybe even some pumpkin "cookies" for the fids! I like wrapping stuff in coffee filters, so maybe you can make some spooky ghosts!

These are really awesome ideas! Thanks!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I got mine some little mini pinatas at the local party store. They're made out of cardboard and crepe paper for kids' parties. I filled them with nuts and other treats. They had ghosts, pumpkins, footballs and some others. My Grey LOVES to shred them! The RB2 just goes after the nut (all about food with that guy). I also got the stuff to make them some pumpkin birdy bread topped with toasted pumpkin seeds in cute halloween cupcake wrappers.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Very cool! Live the holiday ideas! ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts