Handfeeding baby Sun Conure question

BirdyByTheSea

Aug 16, 2010
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hello. I am new to this forum. I came in search of some advice. I posted this earlier today in the Conure section, but was not sure if I posted in the correct spot for the general subject, so am posting it again here.

I have a baby Sun Conure that I am currently weening. He is old enough now to be eating on his own, but is still insisting on handfed supplements.

When I got him home from the breeder, he was on three handfeeds a day which I've whittled down to two....one in the morning and one at night while supplying him with plenty of Zupreem pellets, nuts, grapes, etc at all times. He is eating bits of the Zupreem pellets and has taken to grapes and nuts. I'm not sure if he is eating sufficiently to stop all the handfeeds.

I don't want to deny him anything, but am not sure if I should be more forceful and stop the handfeeding completely. The pack of baby handfeeding forumula is due to run out in the next few days anyway. Don't know if I should buy another pack, but feel he really should be eating on his own now.

If he doesn't get his morning or night handfeed, he starts screaming or starts the baby cry begging approach. He was sitting there this morning snacking on a nut, before he started screaming, so it's not like he's starving to death.

Any advice here would be most welcomed. :orange:

Most Reactions