Handling a bird by the neck

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I don't know that it crosses the line to abusive, but have them step up for me AND THEN flip them over on their backs using their feet.

This bird did not appear to be upset or in distress when he did it. I don't think it's abusive, but it's not the preferred method as far as I am concerned.

See, here's my problem with Parrot Wizard teaching that maneuver. Yeah, as Mark pointed out, his bird's don't appear to be in distress. They're used to it, and trained to accept it.

But he's teaching it like this is what everyone should be doing. So Joe Newbie comes along, watches the video, and tries it with his brand new ekkie. Or amazon. Or macaw.

Surprise, surprise. It doesn't go so well. Can you picture that maneuver with any good sized bird who has no idea what you're doing and freaks out? Take a bird with a long neck like an ekkie. If he starts flipping out while you're holding him by the throat and not supporting the body, it just might end tragically.

Presenting it as the proper way for all people to handle their birds is just irresponsible of him, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

BINGO! Hit the nail on the head. And he's doing it just to show off his crazy mad bird handling skills... to sell training videos. Doesn't this super well trained bird know step up? You can't pick him up by having him grab your hand with his beak, and having HIM flip himself over upside down?! (Maggie did that!) Is that why you rehabbed this bird? To sell videos?! If so, you kinda missed the point... or maybe, we're just not on the same page. I dunno.

And part of my objection to Mr. Wizard is that he's taken techniques that have been around for decades, LEAVES OUT A FEW IMPORTANT DETAILS, and then passes them off as if he had waived his Wizard wand himself, and come up with all this stuff himself.

Some of those little details keep bad things from happening. And since nothing is really copyrighted, it's perfectly legal. I mean, clicker training, ISN'T EXACTLY a big secret is it?!

And I TAUGHT bird handling classes down at the rescue for half a dozen years, somewhere around 20 years ago now... THIS STUFF ISN'T NEW, NOR DID HE INVENT IT. IT'S BEEN AROUND SINCE BEFORE HE WAS BORN. Mr. Wizard is just profiting from something someone else told him. And some of this is less than ideal... this being a perfect example of that.

So, no, not a fan.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
This guy just comes across as someone who was going to make money out of owning a bird come hell or high water. Money first, like/trust - no not really.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge can erode the margins of caution. Perhaps the video is a great "teaching moment" where dissenting opinion can raise the watcher's awareness, particularly for those new to parrots.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
I've watched a few of his videos and it's clear to me that while unarguably he does take good care of his own birds, he's still being irresponsible by not prefacing those maneuvers with "don't try this on your birds without proper back-support".

That said, I watched the video from the OP, and if you watch til at least 1:44, you see that he does do the 'grab' in a better way, using both hands and with support beneath the back as the 'flip' happens. The first few flips demonstrated before that point are definitely cause for concern however. Good that OP brought to this forum attention to educate other owners.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've watched a few of his videos and it's clear to me that while unarguably he does take good care of his own birds, he's still being irresponsible by not prefacing those maneuvers with "don't try this on your birds without proper back-support".

That said, I watched the video from the OP, and if you watch til at least 1:44, you see that he does do the 'grab' in a better way, using both hands and with support beneath the back as the 'flip' happens. The first few flips demonstrated before that point are definitely cause for concern however. Good that OP brought to this forum attention to educate other owners.

That's exactly the point, isn't it.

Did he explain that technique? Or what he was doing? Or how?

Or does that information cost extra?! That's why it pisses me off...

OP
C

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
I am sorry to have caused any distress with this topic. I will not be mentioning the Parrot Wizard anymore.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am sorry to have caused any distress with this topic. I will not be mentioning the Parrot Wizard anymore.

MUCH appreciated! He advertises HEAVILY. According to the official forum rules, it's all right to 'occasionally' insert helpful links to competing sites, however, the Wizard doesn't need this forum to further any of his profits. :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Distress? Not at all. You had a question about something you'd seen online, and you decided to double check and verify... much to the benefit of your bird. No worries.

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Thanks for the original post and the discussion that followed. I had seen him or someone saying that birds have a very strong neck and that picking them up this was was comfortable for them. I don't know that I would have actually tried it myself, but maybe I would have. But now I certainly won't do it. So thanks to all for that bit of education.

jdlehman76

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, OH
Parrots
Bella - Congo African Grey
I don't know anything about the guy in the video, however, my Avian vet handled my CAG by the neck/back of the head. I asked him about picking them up that way and he said is didn't hurt them. From what I could see in the video this guy picked up the bird the same way my vet did. Considering that most parrots can easily support their weight with their beak (hanging on a branch/cage) it isn't a big stretch to say that their neck can handle the weight of their body.

I'm not saying it's advisable to handle your bird like this everyday because I agree there is potential for harm to the bird, and to you if your bird resents this hold. However, I don't think the bird in the video would call it abuse. The bird seems quite relaxed and comfortable. And, it is a great way to restrain the bird when doing nail trims and beak trims. Although in that situation I can't imagine not supporting the body with your other hand.

Just my opinion based on what I have learned and seen.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
But it's not really about whether the neck is capable of supporting the weight of the body. If a bird is relaxed and trained for this, I bet it probably isn't painful at all.

The issue is really the potential for harm by those who decide to try the hold out on their unsuspecting parrot. Using that technique, things could go terribly wrong.

The bird should be supported either against the body or with the other hand, in my opinion.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
But it's not really about whether the neck is capable of supporting the weight of the body. If a bird is relaxed and trained for this, I bet it probably isn't painful at all.

The issue is really the potential for harm by those who decide to try the hold out on their unsuspecting parrot. Using that technique, things could go terribly wrong.

The bird should be supported either against the body or with the other hand, in my opinion.

Where is the respect for the bird in handling it in this manner? Speaks volumes in my book.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I don't know anything about the guy in the video, however, my Avian vet handled my CAG by the neck/back of the head. ......

Yes, that's already been discussed in this thread. When medical procedures are performed, an avian vet will have his/her assistant hold the bird by the neck/head, WHILE supporting the entire body weight on the other hand.

There is never a need to do this to a companion parrot just 'for fun', or because 'the bird let me' as demonstrated in the video. :cool:

Most Reactions